FAXing w/old ISA FAX/Data modem

Old March 30th 05, 06:49 PM
Timothy Daniels

Default FAXing w/old ISA FAX/Data modem

Remember the ISA bus? I have one of those old
USRobotics 56K ISA fax/data internal modems,
and it stopped faxing when I upgraded from Win98
to WinXP. I figured that WinXP had just given up
on the old modems, and not wanting to buy a newer
PCI modem (no more PCI slots), I chose just to
live with it.

But I got lucky and found out how to configure the
FAX app in WinXP to use the modem. It was really
trivial:

Just use the FAX Console at
ControlPanel / Printers & FAXes / FAX / Tools / Configure FAX.
When the wizard asks you to Select FAX Device,
select the modem from the drop-down list.

Now I can use my ISA modem again under WinXP
to send a FAX. OK, OK, duhhh...... :-)

*TimDaniels*
Old March 30th 05, 09:53 PM
Ghostrider

Timothy Daniels wrote:
Remember the ISA bus? I have one of those old
USRobotics 56K ISA fax/data internal modems,
and it stopped faxing when I upgraded from Win98
to WinXP. I figured that WinXP had just given up
on the old modems, and not wanting to buy a newer
PCI modem (no more PCI slots), I chose just to
live with it.

But I got lucky and found out how to configure the
FAX app in WinXP to use the modem. It was really
trivial:

Just use the FAX Console at
ControlPanel / Printers & FAXes / FAX / Tools / Configure FAX.
When the wizard asks you to Select FAX Device,
select the modem from the drop-down list.

Now I can use my ISA modem again under WinXP
to send a FAX. OK, OK, duhhh...... :-)

*TimDaniels*

What particular USR 56K Fax/Modem is it - Model 5683?
And secondly, is there an ISA slot in the computer? If
the answer to both is yes, then this FAX/Modem should
work with Windows XP. Disable COM2 in bios setup and
jumper the modem for COM2 and IRQ3. Install the drivers
from the Windows XP installation cdrom, via the drop down
list.

Old March 30th 05, 11:08 PM
bobo

"Ghostrider" wrote in message

What particular USR 56K Fax/Modem is it - Model 5683?
And secondly, is there an ISA slot in the computer? If
the answer to both is yes, then this FAX/Modem should
work with Windows XP. Disable COM2 in bios setup and
jumper the modem for COM2 and IRQ3. Install the drivers
from the Windows XP installation cdrom, via the drop down
list.

Did you bother to read the post?

Old March 31st 05, 01:49 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Ghostrider" wrote:

Timothy Daniels wrote:
Remember the ISA bus? I have one of those old
USRobotics 56K ISA fax/data internal modems,
and it stopped faxing when I upgraded from Win98
to WinXP. I figured that WinXP had just given up
on the old modems, and not wanting to buy a newer
PCI modem (no more PCI slots), I chose just to
live with it.

But I got lucky and found out how to configure the
FAX app in WinXP to use the modem. It was really
trivial:

Just use the FAX Console at
ControlPanel / Printers & FAXes / FAX / Tools / Configure FAX.
When the wizard asks you to Select FAX Device,
select the modem from the drop-down list.

Now I can use my ISA modem again under WinXP
to send a FAX. OK, OK, duhhh...... :-)

*TimDaniels*

What particular USR 56K Fax/Modem is it - Model 5683?

It is the USRobotics Sportster, model 0484, sold by Dell
as an option with its Dimension XPS-R450s in 1999.

And secondly, is there an ISA slot in the computer?

Yes. That is where the modem has been since I bought
the computer with Win98 installed.

If the answer to both is yes, then this FAX/Modem should
work with Windows XP.

It does. That was the essence of my post.

Disable COM2 in bios setup and jumper the modem
for COM2 and IRQ3. Install the drivers from the Windows XP
installation cdrom, via the drop down list.

The driver was apparently installed automatically when I
upgraded to WinXP. I just hadn't configured the FAX
app by hand. That also was the essence of my post.

*TimDaniels*