Sound card suggestions, please.

Old July 9th 03, 08:35 PM
Nate H.

Default Sound card suggestions, please.

I have found Turtle Beach's Santaq Cruz to be a good card for $USD 80.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...roducthome.asp
--
Nate H.

"JMI" wrote in message
Hello,

I think my sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer) has failed and it's well
past the warranty time. So I'm looking for a new Sound Card. I'd like to
find one for $125 or less. I've seen the SounBlasterd Extigy and the
Audigy 2 in that price range. Is one better than the other? I don't

think
I really need the external sound device and all it's connections. I just
need an out, an in, and a mic. But which one delivers better sound. My
stereo is my computer and my computer is my stereo! I listen to music A

LOT
(since I've got about 70 hours of music on my hard drive! Some downloaded
and many from my CD collection!)

I use Windows XP and I also play games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal
2, Porsche Unleashed, and just recently purchased Enter the Matrix. So I
guess game sound quality is also a requirement but I value music over

games.

So which card do you think is better for my purposes? Or are there any
other suggested sound cards?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old July 9th 03, 08:43 PM
paul s

JMI wrote:

[...]

If your playing processor intensive 3D games, I would stay away from the
Extigy. The Extigy been a USB device, relies on a lot more software
processing for the same results than an Audigy or Audigy 2.

I would go with the Audigy 2. There are other makes of soundcard available
but I've mostly stuck with Creative. I did buy a Logitech soundcard once,
and what a POS that was.
--
Paul S
Old July 10th 03, 12:07 AM
Edward J. Neth

Take a look at the Philips line of cards - they're all under $50 and will
perform at least as well as anything from Creative Labs -- Best Buy carries
them, among others.

Old July 10th 03, 02:11 AM
Jim A

be careful with what you pick, I still get my mic to work with my audigy
card. Other than that the music and games are great with the card.

Jim

Old July 10th 03, 03:31 AM
Tom Scales

Well, I guess I am qualified to comment since I own both the Audigy 2 and
the Extigy.

The difference in sound is immeasurable. They are truly both outstanding.
The Audigy 2 is internal and includes a Firewire port. The Extigy 2 is
external, connects through USB and includes both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, which
the Audigy 2 does not. The Extigy also comes with a remote control, which I
love. The Extigy has Optical in and out, which the Audigy 2 does not. They
both have Digital in.

One VERY nice thing if you use your sound card as your stereo. When
external devices, such as your DVD player are connected to your Extigy, the
system works fine EVEN IF THE COMPUTER IS TURNED OFF. Try that with an
Audigy 2.

Contrary to the previous poster's opinion, unless your machine is so
underpowered that the game would be affected in other ways, the Extigy will
easily keep up with just about anything. It's not like the audio stream is
more than USB1.1 can handle.

Bottom line, figure out the feature set you need and make the choice. Oh,
one more thing. The Extigy frees up a PCI slot.

Either one would be an excellent choice.

Tom

Old July 10th 03, 03:52 AM
Kenneth E. Spress

Well here is my recommendation. Please go ahead uninstall your drivers, take
the sound card out and pull all your other add on cards leaving only the
video card in place and place your sound card on the opposite end of the
MOBO that the video card is on. Grab your SB Installation cd or if time
permits download new drivers from the Creative Site

If you want to get a good range on sound card price visit my online mall @
http://www.acnmall.com/sirduron

any more questions contact me directly through e mail

--
Thanks
Kenneth E. Spress

RUID # 0462790

Interested in a user friendly ISP that costs less Try ACN Internet
http://www.acninc.net/dialuplocations.asp?details=us
http://www.acninc.net/innerwindow.as...signupinfo.asp
.. .

Old July 10th 03, 06:19 AM
JMI

Ok, how would anyone describe the difference between the Audigy and Audigy 2
cards. I liked my Audigy card (that is before it went tits up on me!). Is
there a noticable difference in sound quality?

AND how about the M-AUDIO Revolution 7.1? Any opinions on it?

Lastly, how would the sound quality of the Extigy and Audigy 2 cards
compare?

Thanks,

Jeff

I've done lots of reading, and I've almost decided on the Audigy 2

Old July 10th 03, 08:16 PM
Roger

"Kenneth E. Spress" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Well here is my recommendation. Please go ahead uninstall your drivers,

take
the sound card out and pull all your other add on cards leaving only the
video card in place and place your sound card on the opposite end of the
MOBO that the video card is on. Grab your SB Installation cd or if time
permits download new drivers from the Creative Site

If you want to get a good range on sound card price visit my online mall @
http://www.acnmall.com/sirduron

any more questions contact me directly through e mail

Depends on what mb you own. On some older mb's the last PCI slot is not a
bus mastering slot. You need a bus mastering slot for a soundcard.