P5GDC-V DELUXE SATA DRIVE 200G ONLY SHOWS 128G

Old December 11th 04, 06:15 PM
GIZMO

Default P5GDC-V DELUXE SATA DRIVE 200G ONLY SHOWS 128G

PUT NEW HDD WD 200G SATA AS STORAGE BUT IN DISK MANAGEMENT IT ONLY SHOWS AS
128G NOT 200G CAN ANY ONE PUT SOME LIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM.
O.S IS WIN 2000.

Old December 12th 04, 10:30 AM
Paul

"GIZMO" wrote in message
PUT NEW HDD WD 200G SATA AS STORAGE BUT IN DISK MANAGEMENT IT ONLY SHOWS
AS
128G NOT 200G CAN ANY ONE PUT SOME LIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM.
O.S IS WIN 2000.

http://www.48bitlba.com/win2k.htm

Paul
Old December 12th 04, 04:32 PM
Ender

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:15:53 -0500, "GIZMO"
wrote:

PUT NEW HDD WD 200G SATA AS STORAGE BUT IN DISK MANAGEMENT IT ONLY SHOWS AS
128G NOT 200G CAN ANY ONE PUT SOME LIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM.
O.S IS WIN 2000.

You will need to partition this drive into two smaller drives. Win2k
and WinXP will choke on partitions larger than 137g.

Regards,

Ender
Old December 12th 04, 06:19 PM
Robert Hancock

wrote:

PUT NEW HDD WD 200G SATA AS STORAGE BUT IN DISK MANAGEMENT IT ONLY SHOWS AS
128G NOT 200G CAN ANY ONE PUT SOME LIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM.
O.S IS WIN 2000.

You will need to partition this drive into two smaller drives. Win2k
and WinXP will choke on partitions larger than 137g.

Regards,

Ender

No they don't.. Partitions of that size should work fine.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old December 13th 04, 01:08 PM
GIZMO

John, Ender & Paul

I got Service Pack 4 I I have a total amount of four drives
120G SATA(C:\ drive) OS
120G SATA(D:\ drive) backup
200G SATA(E:\ drive shows 128G) backup
80G ATA 133 (H:\ drive )backup
Hope this will help.
If I put the OS on the 200G will that help the problem
Thanks

Old December 14th 04, 07:42 AM
Paul

In article , "GIZMO"
wrote:

John, Ender & Paul

I got Service Pack 4 I I have a total amount of four drives
120G SATA(C:\ drive) OS
120G SATA(D:\ drive) backup
200G SATA(E:\ drive shows 128G) backup
80G ATA 133 (H:\ drive )backup
Hope this will help.
If I put the OS on the 200G will that help the problem
Thanks

I don't consider using drives larger than 128GB to be easy
at all. If you are using the disk for data storage only,
following the advice on 48bitlba.org could give you a working
setup - I'd probably want Partition Magic on hand, to be
assured I could have whatever partition configuration I wanted.

But installing an OS on a large disk, is a lot trickier. You
could make yourself a "slipstreamed" install CD (there are
procedures for that on the net, but they are not for the
faint of heart). The slipstreamed CD, when you do the install,
already has the Service Pack in place, so avoids the presence
of an incompatible original OS on the disk. Again, it may be
possible to install the original Win2K, install service pack,
check for the registry entry, then use Partition Magic to clean
up the mess, but I've never tried that. In fact, one of the
reasons the largest disk on all my computer is 80GB, is the
existence of this issue.

Good luck,
Paul

Old December 14th 04, 08:09 AM
Paul

In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

In article , "GIZMO"
wrote:

[...]

I also found this mentioned in the Abit group. This won't
make things a bit clearer, but at least you can hear it
in Microsoft's words:

Paul

Old December 15th 04, 04:14 AM
GIZMO

Paul
This worked just fine from Microsoft it now shows 186.31 GB about the right
amount for 200Gb drive.
To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1
4. Quit Registry Editor.

Thanks for all the work Paul and all the others who had input.

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,