How do I erase data from a flash drive?

Old March 18th 06, 03:55 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default How do I erase data from a flash drive?

I purchased a Sandisk 1mg and my husband tried to backup too much data
and now I need to erase it and start over. How do I do it?

Old March 19th 06, 01:35 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

is it viewable in the explorer (assuming windows)? then you can right
click on it and choose format.

hope that works

Old March 19th 06, 07:44 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Thankyou. That worked perfectly.

Old March 31st 06, 04:48 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

Globe Treader schrieb:
is it viewable in the explorer (assuming windows)? then you can right
click on it and choose format.

Then the flash drive is formatted, but the data are not erased;-)

Roy
Old March 31st 06, 10:33 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

Roy:
Then the flash drive is formatted, but the data are not erased;-)

do you mean that the files are still visible and there in explorer? or
you mean you can recover the files from flash drive even though they
are not visible in explorer?

AFIK, windows format by default does not completely erase the
filesystem, it just writes fresh boot record, FATs and bad sector list.
*data* is still there dangling on the disk. Using data recovery tools,
files can be recovered in most cases.

is this what you were trying to put across Roy?

Kiran

Old March 31st 06, 02:29 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Globe Treader schrieb:
Roy:
Then the flash drive is formatted, but the data are not erased;-)

do you mean that the files are still visible and there in explorer?

No.

or
you mean you can recover the files from flash drive even though they
are not visible in explorer?

Yes.

AFIK, windows format by default does not completely erase the
filesystem, it just writes fresh boot record, FATs and bad sector list.
*data* is still there dangling on the disk. Using data recovery tools,
files can be recovered in most cases.

is this what you were trying to put across Roy?

Exactly, Kiran! THX for clarifying.

Roy
Old April 2nd 06, 11:41 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

AFIK, windows format by default does not completely erase the
filesystem, it just writes fresh boot record, FATs and bad sector list.
*data* is still there dangling on the disk.

Correct. This is what Quick Format does in Windows. Full Format will also send
the VERIFY command to all disk sectors, but this is a non-destructive operation
too.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation