Least assembly to see fans work?

Old March 4th 06, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Least assembly to see fans work?

I have an antec smart power supply. I checked some pins on the main
power strip to the m/b and there is power there, but the supply fan
does not turn. Probably controlled by the m/b?

Today I'm going to put in the main board. and connect it. Fans
should turn?

Then I'm going to put in the ASUS 4200 CPU. Fans should turn?

Then the ram. Fans should turn?

I want to put in as little as I can and check each piece.

Thanks,
Bob

Old March 4th 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

No, the Antec SmartPower units are designed that way... it's not a defect.
The fans do not turn at start-up, and may hardly ever come on if your case
temps are and air flow are decent.

et...

Old March 4th 06, 09:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bob" wrote in message
et...
I have an antec smart power supply. I checked some pins on the main power
strip to the m/b and there is power there, but the supply fan does not
turn. Probably controlled by the m/b?

Today I'm going to put in the main board. and connect it. Fans should
turn?

Then I'm going to put in the ASUS 4200 CPU. Fans should turn?

Then the ram. Fans should turn?

I want to put in as little as I can and check each piece.

Thanks,
Bob

Seeing the fans turn doesn't prove it all works you know.
The CPU could be blown and the fans would still go round. Put in the
processor, video card and memory, connect a monitor and see if it powers up
and you get a display.

SteveH

Old March 4th 06, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , Bob
says...
I have an antec smart power supply. I checked some pins on the main
power strip to the m/b and there is power there, but the supply fan
does not turn. Probably controlled by the m/b?

It is a switch mode PSU. Without a load, it won't do a hell of alot.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 4th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Bob
says...
I have an antec smart power supply. I checked some pins on the
main
power strip to the m/b and there is power there, but the supply
fan
does not turn. Probably controlled by the m/b?

It is a switch mode PSU. Without a load, it won't do a hell of
alot.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

Thank you and everyone else that answered. Very true tag line

Old March 5th 06, 09:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Very true Squigmont. I use the Antec SmartPower with dual fans. Neither
of the fans are usually never needed. I use a full size tower (more
than plenty of air flow).

Old March 9th 06, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Gold Fingers" wrote in message
ups.com...
Very true Squigmont. I use the Antec SmartPower with dual fans. Neither
of the fans are usually never needed. I use a full size tower (more
than plenty of air flow).

As I've gotten a bit older, I've come to appreciate quiet computers. I've
spent a little extra for quiet cooling solutions in all of my newer builds.
Nothing fancy like water cooling, just quiet case fans and CPU fans (usually
the Nexus brand), and fanless video cards. I prefer the motherboards that
offer some type of fan speed control, too. Lastly, the power supply is
all-important... it's got to be big, beefy, and quiet! Antec has a few
compelling offerings, and I usually only buy Antec PSUs anymore. (I've
purchased a couple of Nexus 500W PSUs recently and they seem good, too, but
it remains to be seen how they hold up under loads over time as compared to
the Antecs.

Old March 12th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I kind of remember looking over the Nexus PSUs. A few of my friends
have asked me about PSUs. I'll have to remember Nexus as well as Antec.
I don't feel like shopping to see the specs for Nexus. I'll wait until
I need to shop. I do remember the reason why I chose Antec this last
time was because of their removable molex power cords. Use only the
cords you need and don't have cords hanging around which are not
needed. I'm using 3 out of the 4 outlets on the rear of the Power
Supply Unit.

Noisy CPU fan goo_lu1 General 87 January 24th 06 06:09 PM
Can AC fans be used inside cases? Phisherman Homebuilt PC's 37 December 9th 04 01:46 AM
Fan differences? Tai Tze Hou \(Alvin\) General 29 October 10th 03 06:23 AM
Silent Computer - Advice David Taylor General 45 October 7th 03 11:26 AM
Placing fans on the borrom of the PC how does this work ? We Live For The One We Die For The One Homebuilt PC's 1 September 5th 03 04:29 PM