Maxtor does SUCK!!

Old July 8th 05, 07:47 PM
David Berriman

Default Maxtor does SUCK!!

Maxtor does suck.

same thing happened here as was discussed earlier.

Bought a brand new computer in March 2004 after last one died from a
malignant worm or something. But I did salvage the contents of the drive.

The new computer came with a 40G "Maxtor" HD, loaded with my data. Great,
right?

wrong.

here I am today, a year and a few months later, and the Maxtor drive is
DEAD...irretrievable. Everything LOST.

And of course it's just out of warranty. So I called Maxtor...not hoping
for a replacement or a "free recovery" or anything like that. I thought
maybe
they'd have a policy by which dead drives could be sent back (on my dime)
for evaluation....and possibly, at best, a partial refund or coupon toward
future purchases if it was found that the drive simply "conked out".

What was I told?

"Oh we don't want or need the drive back..and there's nothing we can
do...sorry...better luck next time."

pathetic, imo.

Horrid. years of data and work gone. Money down the drain for the original
purchase and now, the attempt to repair it...and Maxtor doesn't even want
the drive back.

what a pile of sh$% company, imo.

DB

"Son Of Sheep." sheep.com.au wrote in message

I don't know why peoples drives die. I have never had one that has
dired ???

maybe they abuse them and or not good cooling ????

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:16:42 GMT, CJT wrote:

Joeshmo wrote:
Just had another go out. This 160 gig was a1.5 years old. Out of
warrantee.
Seagate has a 5 year garantee. I've bought 3 already for clients in the
last
year and haven't had any problems with them.
Joe

No problems here. Maybe you've abused them.

Old July 8th 05, 08:42 PM
GTS

"David Berriman" wrote in message
Maxtor does suck.

same thing happened here as was discussed earlier.

Bought a brand new computer in March 2004 after last one died from a
malignant worm or something. But I did salvage the contents of the drive.

The new computer came with a 40G "Maxtor" HD, loaded with my data. Great,
right?

wrong.

here I am today, a year and a few months later, and the Maxtor drive is
DEAD...irretrievable. Everything LOST.

You did'nt back-up your data despite the earlier incident? No use trying to
blame Maxtor for your own mistake. No matter what make of drive, a certain
percentage will fail, and none of them last forever.

Old July 8th 05, 10:04 PM
Rod Speed

David Berriman wrote

Maxtor does suck.

Nope, you do.

same thing happened here as was discussed earlier.

Bought a brand new computer in March 2004 after last one died from a
malignant worm or something. But I did salvage the contents of the drive.

The new computer came with a 40G "Maxtor" HD, loaded with my data. Great,
right?

wrong.

here I am today, a year and a few months later, and the Maxtor drive is
DEAD...irretrievable. Everything LOST.

More fool you for not backing up your data when
you had already had a narrow escape the first time.

Old July 9th 05, 01:47 AM
Arno Wagner

Previously David Berriman wrote:
Maxtor does suck.

same thing happened here as was discussed earlier.

Bought a brand new computer in March 2004 after last one died from a
malignant worm or something. But I did salvage the contents of the drive.

The new computer came with a 40G "Maxtor" HD, loaded with my data. Great,
right?

wrong.

here I am today, a year and a few months later, and the Maxtor drive is
DEAD...irretrievable. Everything LOST.

Well, hard as it sounds, this is your fault. You should have known
that harddrives are unreliable and that back-ups are non-optional
for data that has any value.

So stop complaining and do it _right_ the next time.

Arno

Old July 9th 05, 12:48 PM
TE Cheah

| a year and a few months later, and the Maxtor drive is DEAD
Doesn't Maxtor give a 3yr warranty ?

My Maxtor 0502 18 hdd ( ata100, bought in 4-05 ) has 2 ic`s which run
very ( 1 incredibly ) hot, I glue a heatsink onto each ic so they'll work
fstr & last longer. Without heatsinks, users better not run utilities like
Disk Checker / Sandra hdd benchmark which make these ic`s very hot,
just as warned by Sandra's author.

Quantum's ic would die with any voltage*spike : my +5v rail has 15000
µF added to damp any *.

| harddrives are unreliable
I learnt this after 2 Quantum hdd`s failed.

Old July 9th 05, 04:37 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously TE Cheah wrote:
| a year and a few months later, and the Maxtor drive is DEAD
Doesn't Maxtor give a 3yr warranty ?

Only for = 120GB and = 8MB buffer memory.

Arno

Old July 11th 05, 10:16 AM
Ron Reaugh

There are just problem users who don't do backups and then blame the wind
..

Old July 12th 05, 06:28 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Ron Reaugh wrote:

There are just problem users who don't do backups and then blame the wind

How does not making backups cause drives to fail more often?

Old July 12th 05, 06:56 AM
Odie Ferrous

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Ron Reaugh wrote:

There are just problem users who don't do backups and then blame the wind

How does not making backups cause drives to fail more often?

In the UK, we call it "sod's law."

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old July 12th 05, 09:59 AM
Ron Reaugh

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ron Reaugh wrote:

There are just problem users who don't do backups and then blame the wind

How does not making backups cause drives to fail more often?

Is the moon full?

Suck this, linuxfux Mark Overclocking AMD Processors 1 November 27th 03 10:21 PM
YANKEES SUCK!!!! CLF General 4 October 11th 03 09:03 PM
9700 Pro - suck or blow ? Alan Walker Ati Videocards 3 October 8th 03 11:59 AM
To Suck or Blow? That is the question :) Tony Overclocking AMD Processors 3 September 19th 03 06:08 AM
Does DVI-D suck on Viewsonic VP181b? Mario Homebuilt PC's 0 August 1st 03 04:41 AM