CD Player going bad

Old July 12th 03, 07:01 PM
HamMan

Default CD Player going bad

"Gary" wrote in message
1. My CD player works on and off, I have to use a paper clip to get it to
open and then sometimes it reads and sometimes not. Time for a new one.
2. The original drive letter for my CD was "Q", somehow, it got changed to
the letter "D". I have been in the properties to try to reset it to "Q"

but
the is no option for that.

I purchased a new CD-ROM drive from MAD DOG Multimedia 56X Max Model
MD-ED56R
My computer is a PB Multimedia M415 166 MHz Intel Pentium processor

w/MMX.
I upgraded the RAM to 64MB and use a Robotics Sportster Modem instead of

the
original built in modem, otherwise everything is original w/ download
upgrades.

I am not real computer savvy, just enough to get in trouble, so am

looking
for help. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Yep, sounds like the CD Drive has gone.

I cant see why you would want the drive as q:\ though. Some apps refuse to
install from anything higher than f:, but i suppose its not likely that your
going to be using them on a 166

Old July 12th 03, 08:36 PM
Elector

"HamMan" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

Hi HamMan:

It is because the PB Restore process is looking for the drive QVia
default) I think there is a how to on Ray's PB site here
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/

Many things to check first is in the unit its self. First is the
controller ribbon on correctly. Pin 1 with the strip on the controller
ribbon? Secondly is the BIOS aware that there is in fact a "CD ROM"
you can set that option in the BIOS as AUTO. Third the change of Last
Drive=Z in the config.sys can give you up to that many drives for use.
You can shorten this via the Last Drive="??" ??= being any letter in
between.

Also in the autoexec.bat and config.sys there must be a path to the
drive for the restore process. Since I don't use the PB's any longer I
think Simon or Ben or another regular here can better set you on the
path you seek.

I hope that helped?

Elector