PB Win98se USB version 1 to 2 upgrade question.

Old July 12th 08, 01:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
kraut

Default PB Win98se USB version 1 to 2 upgrade question.

I have a Packard Bell from when they were sold in the US that came
with 98se and USB ver 1. The system runs good yet and does what I
need it too. The only thing is that it would be nice to have USB ver
2.

Is it possible and not too much trouble to change it to USB ver 2??

Keep in mind I am not a PC guru

TIA

Old July 12th 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Jul 11, 8:59*pm, kraut
wrote:
I have a Packard Bell from when they were sold in the US that came
with 98se and USB ver 1. *The system runs good yet and does what I
need it too. *The only thing is that it would be nice to have USB ver
2.

Is it possible and not too much trouble to change it to USB ver 2??

Keep in mind I am not a PC guru

TIA

Software update is most likely not an option as these are hardware
versions.
You will probably need a usb card for a PCI slot
requires opening computer

This options depends on your PCI version

I need to know the modelm of computer and any other info
Serial number woulld be great
Old July 12th 08, 12:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
[email protected]

Hi

Not to change the focus here,...I am cerrtain Metro will get
you the answer once he gets your model number and or serial number,
but regarding Windows 98, how do you tell if the version you have is
SE? Metro??

Bill
Old July 12th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The creation dates of the files on the Win 98 First Edition and Second Edition
are different. Someone somewhere on the web has documented the date info.

.... Ben Myers

Old July 12th 08, 02:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

If the USB on the motherboard meets the 1.1 specification, it cannot be
upgraded. The typical Pentium II or Pentium III motherboard of this era was USB
1.1 only. It was not until the Pentium 4 epoch (sounds like we're talking
dinosaurs, doesn't it?) that USB 2.0 made an appearance.

What you need is a USB 2.0 PCI card with drivers for Windows 98. Install the
card, install the drivers and you will have USB 2.0 ports on the card.

.... Ben Myers

Old July 12th 08, 09:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
The creation dates of the files on the Win 98 First Edition and Second
Edition
are different. Someone somewhere on the web has documented the date
info.

..... and if you just open" System ", General tab, in control panel, it will
actually tell you.

:-)

bobwatts

Old July 13th 08, 04:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
kraut

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:25:47 -0700 (PDT), metronid
wrote:

I have a Packard Bell from when they were sold in the US that came
with 98se and USB ver 1. *The system runs good yet and does what I
need it too. *The only thing is that it would be nice to have USB ver
2.

Is it possible and not too much trouble to change it to USB ver 2??

Keep in mind I am not a PC guru

TIA

Software update is most likely not an option as these are hardware
versions.
You will probably need a usb card for a PCI slot
requires opening computer

This options depends on your PCI version

I need to know the modelm of computer and any other info
Serial number woulld be great

Model # LG SUPR 1985
Motherbroad MB930
Manufacturers Number 845589116
Manufacturers Date / Time 11/13/98 11:11 AM
Serial Number P486059838+
Case Type Micro ATX
CPU AMDK6
Speed 333 MHz
Memory Upgraded to 512 MB
Bios Version Award 5100111

The above info came from the PB system credentials the came with the
system.

USB Controllers Acer Labs Hardware Version 003 from in device manager.

I tryed to install some USB hardware a while back and it would not go
because it said I had USB version 1.1 and need version2
Old July 13th 08, 12:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

wrote:

[...]

All you have to do is install a PCI USB2 card...
just be sure the card includes the USB2 drivers for win98se and you should
be all set.

Old July 13th 08, 06:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

wrote:

[...]

Philo is correct
This system wil take a usb 2 card as its PCI version is 2.1
I use sandra sisoft to identify all system info
IF win98 SE it will say clearlt
Old July 14th 08, 01:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
kraut

[...]

Thanks to all for the help. Appreciate it.