linux and windows mbr

Old January 31st 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default linux and windows mbr

i recently installed linux on a different partition to windows, quiet
naturally it wrote its own bootloader on the mbr, now i got rid of linux
because it kept on crashing on start up but the bootloader menu keeps coming
up and i want to get rid of it. is it possible to get rid of it by using the
command in the recovery console using the command "fixmbr" or should i
install windows again on a different partition and get rid of it and edit
boot.ini??

Old January 31st 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , Squibbly says...
i recently installed linux on a different partition to windows, quiet
naturally it wrote its own bootloader on the mbr, now i got rid of linux
because it kept on crashing on start up but the bootloader menu keeps coming
up and i want to get rid of it. is it possible to get rid of it by using the
command in the recovery console using the command "fixmbr" or should i
install windows again on a different partition and get rid of it and edit
boot.ini??

Using FIXMBR removes the bootloader but doesn't set the Windows
partition as Active so it will come up with Invalid System Disk or
similar. The easiest way is to create a Win98 bootable floppy
(www.bootdisk.com), boot with that and type FDISK /MBR. Reboot with the
floppy again, rerun FDISK and make sure the XP partition is marked
Active.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old January 31st 06, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

but couldnt i fix that with the fixboot command??

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Squibbly says...

Old January 31st 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , Squibbly says...
but couldnt i fix that with the fixboot command??

Nope. Been there, tried it - unless I was missing something. YMMV
though.

Old February 1st 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

YMMV?????

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Squibbly says...

Old February 1st 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Squibbly wrote:
YMMV?????

Here's a bit of education that will serve you well for the rest of your
life: if you don't know what an acronym means, just look it up with an
online acronym dictionary.

"Conor" wrote in message
t...

In article , Squibbly says...

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 1st 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

ok i didnt know they existed

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Squibbly wrote:
YMMV?????

Here's a bit of education that will serve you well for the rest of your
life: if you don't know what an acronym means, just look it up with an
online acronym dictionary.

"Conor" wrote in message
t...

In article , Squibbly says...

Old February 1st 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

you mileage may vary??? whats thats suppose to mean???

Squibbly wrote:
YMMV?????

Here's a bit of education that will serve you well for the rest of your
life: if you don't know what an acronym means, just look it up with an
online acronym dictionary.

"Conor" wrote in message
t...

In article , Squibbly says...

Old February 1st 06, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Squibbly wrote:
you mileage may vary??? whats thats suppose to mean???

It means your results may be different. It's another way of
acknowledging individual variation.

Squibbly wrote:

YMMV?????

Here's a bit of education that will serve you well for the rest of your
life: if you don't know what an acronym means, just look it up with an
online acronym dictionary.

"Conor" wrote in message
.net...

In article , Squibbly says...

Old February 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Squibbly wrote:
you mileage may vary??? whats thats suppose to mean???

The phrase derives from the EPA mileage sticker on new cars containing the
caveat "your mileage may vary" from what the sticker says.

Colloquially it means "this was my experience but yours might be
different," or any reasonable variation on the same theme.

It's a quite reasonable caveat when relating an anecdotal experience since
what works, or was the problem, in one case doesn't necessarily mean that's
the only thing that could be the problem; just that it was, or thought to
be, 'that time'. I.E. Things might be different for you. YMMV.

It can also be an injection of humor because the conventional wisdom is
that your mileage will usually be just about anything except what the
sticker says and, if you add Murphy's Law in, uniformly less than imagined.
Which, of course, is what makes it so popular: 'may' vary?

Squibbly wrote:

YMMV?????

Here's a bit of education that will serve you well for the rest of your
life: if you don't know what an acronym means, just look it up with an
online acronym dictionary.

"Conor" wrote in message
.net...

In article , Squibbly says...