PB 810/820 board ( Hey Ben ! )

Old July 20th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default PB 810/820 board ( Hey Ben ! )

Hi Gang !

Hey Ben, I got to studying the pictures a little bit better for the PB board
that I won on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=022

.... and it sure looks like an 810/820 board. I knew it was different because
it had DIMM slots, but didn't realize it was an 810/820, probably an 820.
For whatever reason, I was focused on the VR for an MMX CPU, and what
appeared to be L2 cache on the board. Also, it has one USB port, which was
important to me.

Got to looking around, and found it probably is an 820:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/810.htm

Be the first one of these I have found. I think. I really can't remember
what is in all of my PB's, but I don't "think" I have one of these.

Damn shame it only supports 128M of ram. Have you ever installed a K6-200 in
one of these ? I have about everything that will work on this VX Socket 7
board ( according to that site above ), but won't be trying a K6-233. Damn
things are too hot.

I wonder if the BIOS will recognize the Evergreen 400 with going to the Mr.
BIOS BIOS ? Hmmmm....

I just hope it works.

Seller replied the other day, it's on the way.

bobwatts

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Old July 20th 08, 02:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Bob,

The board is manufactured by Intel, but apparently PB got the BIOS cobbled up a
bit to handle AMD and Cyrix CPUs. Most Intel BIOSes reject non-Intel CPUs, not
even completing POST. You stand a chance that the Evergreen CPU will work with
a FSB of 66MHz (chipset limitation) and a clock multiplier of 6x. The AMD CPU
6x CLKMUL setting is the same as the classic Pentium 133MHz 2x setting, so
jumper accordingly.

The Intel 430VX chipset is limited to 128MB of memory, unlike the 430HX chipset
of the same era... Ben Myers