GET RID OF MR. BIOS

Old July 13th 08, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default GET RID OF MR. BIOS

Hi Gang !

Does anyone know how to get this g*&^#(&#@(DAM piece of S&$t sonof a
bitchin I can't stand it anymore no good for nothing I wish I had never seen
it and I'm about to break a lot of stuff Mr. BIOS damn BIOS out of my
Packard Bell ?

It won't let me reflash back to a PB BIOS, and I'm about to break a lot of
stuff.

bobwatts

Old July 16th 08, 08:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Jul 13, 2:11 pm, "Robert E. Watts" wrote:
Hi Gang !

Does anyone know how to get this g*&^#(&#@(DAM piece of S&$t sonof a
bitchin I can't stand it anymore no good for nothing I wish I had never seen
it and I'm about to break a lot of stuff Mr. BIOS damn BIOS out of my
Packard Bell ?

It won't let me reflash back to a PB BIOS, and I'm about to break a lot of
stuff.

bobwatts

So you just learned that MR BIOS only allows MR BIOS for updates
Probably have a bios chip that is soldered not socketed.
If so that also really sucks

Can you reflash with the original MR BIOS.
Need to know this as it turns little wheels in my brain

I also need to see the floppy and what ever you originally used..
It may be possible to fool the flash with the PB flash
Maybe not.

Some times it can be done through boot block
I am assuming the bios is cleared first in totality.
This is normal so the sum check equals the flash size.
It does not have to do this if the bios writer is really smart.

In any case need to know he MB
any files to chargerrtex at yahoo.com

You know the risks
Also I have a modified by me bios for the 450 MB that supports larger
HD's
It was my first attempt in altering code
It actually worked

Old July 17th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Met !

"metronid" wrote in message

So you just learned that MR BIOS only allows MR BIOS for updates

Yep. Can't do a damn thing with it now.

Probably have a bios chip that is soldered not socketed.
If so that also really sucks

Sure. Soldered on. Of course.

Can you reflash with the original MR BIOS.
Need to know this as it turns little wheels in my brain

Nope. Refuses to recognise the BIOS now. Claims it can no longer do a damn
thing with it.

I also need to see the floppy and what ever you originally used..
It may be possible to fool the flash with the PB flash
Maybe not.

I tried for hours. Using Iflash, Intel Iflash, and various hacker flash
programs. Those get scary.

And the real reason I got stopped, is because of the BIZZARE way of flashing
a BIOS that Packard Bell uses. Anybodydamnelse uses a .bin file of 256k or
512k ( or whatever ). PB chops the damn BIOS files into at least 8 segments
that no BIOS flash program ( that *I* know of ) can do a damn thing with.

Can you tell this really ****ed me off ?

any files to chargerrtex at yahoo.com

You're assuming that I haven't reduced that MB to rubble ?

Actually, I'm considering laying it on a train track. No, I won't do that.
It's perfectly useable, I just wanted to go back to the PB BIOS, because I
have a suspicion that the Mr. BIOS BIOS is slowing the MB down.

I have two practically identical PB ( same MB, mem, HDD, etc. ) and the
other one "seems" much faster.

And the bitch of it is : this is one of my rare and coveted 256K L2 cache
boards.

You know the risks

Fully aware of the risks. That is why I haven't done anything stupid yet.
I'll probably just leave it Mr. BIOS BIOS. I have another MB coming from
eBay that *I think* is the same. No exact communication from seller, I'm
going from the picture. We'll see.

Also I have a modified by me bios for the 450 MB that supports larger
HD's
It was my first attempt in altering code
It actually worked

Nice. Few people can write/alter code.

Thanks for the reply, and the files that you sent me last week. Hope the
vacation was fun !

bobwatts

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Old July 17th 08, 02:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Intel also chopped up its BIOS image into 4 segments. PB was not alone. And if
PB happened to use an Intel-made board, well, the BIOS image would be chopped
into 4 pieces. Intel did this with most of its boards through the P3 ones,
IIRC... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:20:47 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

Hi Met !

Old July 17th 08, 12:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Intel also chopped up its BIOS image into 4 segments. PB was not alone.
And if
PB happened to use an Intel-made board, well, the BIOS image would be
chopped
into 4 pieces. Intel did this with most of its boards through the P3
ones,
IIRC... Ben Myers

As usual, you are right.

Most of my PB's have Intel boards, and basically use the Iflash Intel
method.

I wish I had been paying attention before flashing to the Mr. BIOS. Chances
are I would have done it anyway to run the Evergreen 400MHz CPU upgrade. But
the irony is right after I set the board up, ostensibly to ultimately
install into a 'corner, I removed the CPU and re-installed an Intel CPU.

There is no question the Mr. BIOS has an extensive array of enhancements and
options. Staggering almost actually. ( but for "purists" reasons, I want
the PB BIOS logo. :-)

I really wasn't that impressed with the upgrade, and feel the "regular"
board with an Intel 233MHz MMX CPU runs about as good.

Benchmarks sometimes don't tell the whole story. I have computers that have
"lesser" components than others that "feel" faster.

In any event, I'll reinstall the Evergreen, and let it go at that. Wasn't
using it for anything anyway.

bob

Old July 17th 08, 09:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
[email protected]

Hi Bob

I've been watching this post with interest as I am faced with
the same situation. I did the Mr. BIOS bios upgrade on not one but two
of the 4 68x Orlando boards I have... the ones with alll options. I
have one of them with the Powerleap adapter and the 400 mhz (actually
registers 397 mhz) processor. Well I never really noticed any "great"
advantage over the same board with just the 233 mhz and stock PB BIOS.
Actually the 233 mhz board I found runs better than the 400 mhz board
with the XP OS. Not great, but definately better. Go figure.
I too would like to uninstall the Mr. BIOS bios on one of them
and get back to the PB BIOS, but unfortunately over the years moves
and miles I do not have the flash uninstall diskette that I created. I
was thinking of doing the Mr. BIOS flash to one of the numerous lesser
68x boards that I have only to get the uninstall diskette. If things
continue with no positive results, Bob I think I will do that and if
the board that you are referencing is the 68x Orlando, will get you
the diskette.

Bill

Old July 18th 08, 11:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Bill !

( inserting comments as I go, as usual.... :-)

wrote in message
Hi Bob

I've been watching this post with interest as I am faced with
the same situation. I did the Mr. BIOS bios upgrade on not one but two
of the 4 68x Orlando boards I have... the ones with alll options. I
have one of them with the Powerleap adapter and the 400 mhz (actually
registers 397 mhz) processor.

Well I never really noticed any "great"
advantage over the same board with just the 233 mhz and stock PB BIOS.

Me either. Matter of fact, I don't think there *is* an improvement. And
there really should be. A K6-2 400 should be noticeably "better" than a
233MHz Intel.

Actually the 233 mhz board I found runs better than the 400 mhz board
with the XP OS. Not great, but definately better. Go figure.

Don't need to figure. :-)
Have found this to be true, and agree. Which is why I want to go back to my
old PB BIOS, and Intel CPU.

I too would like to uninstall the Mr. BIOS bios on one of them
and get back to the PB BIOS, but unfortunately over the years moves
and miles I do not have the flash uninstall diskette that I created.

I actually have the box that the Evergreen upgrade came in, with two kits in
there. Have all the disks, but for whatever reason, the Mr. BIOS flash
uninstall diskette that *I* made will not work. The present Mr. BIOS will
not allow any re-flashing of the BIOS. The saved BIOS that is on that disk
is "not available", even though I can see it when I look at the disk. Going
through the menu, using the MR. BIOS stuff , the option to uninstall the Mr.
BIOS option is greyed out.

I was going to try and reflash the BIOS using some hacker BIOS flashing
stuff I found, but when I investigated the goofy PB BIOS files, I realized
that no flash program is going to use it chopped up like that.
You did however give me an idea, I might be able to take the saved BIOS from
the Mr. BIOS diskette, and use that. Doubtful.

was thinking of doing the Mr. BIOS flash to one of the numerous lesser
68x boards that I have only to get the uninstall diskette. If things
continue with no positive results, Bob I think I will do that and if
the board that you are referencing is the 68x Orlando, will get you
the diskette.

Well, I wish you luck. Frankly, I am resigned to leaving this particular
board alone. It's fully functional, and playing with the BIOS like this can
result in a useless board if something goes wrong. I'm hoping that a
"replacement" board shows up in the mail, and I'll just leave this one
alone. And what the hell, maybe I'll play with all the options available in
the BIOS someday. I haven't really investigated it that much. I know there
is no extra "performance" in there, but there are some interesting options I
haven't played with. I think. :-)

Getting a bit concerned that I have not even heard from the seller. Maybe he
is just one of those guys who simply mails stuff ( someday ) without
communication. I just hope the board is packaged well.

Aggravated.

bob

Old July 18th 08, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

wrote in message

[...]

I was searching google for 'BIOS reset', so my question would
be...does playing around with the battery jumpers work in restting the
BIOS to a default setting?
mc
Old July 18th 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:56:48 -0700 (PDT), mc wrote:

SNIP

I was searching google for 'BIOS reset', so my question would
be...does playing around with the battery jumpers work in restting the
BIOS to a default setting?
mc

The CMOS battery is responsible for the integrity of system configuration data.
If the battery is removed or the motherboard jumper is set to reset the CMOS,
then the system configuration data becomes in-valid, and needs to be re-entered.
The BIOS code itself needs to be changed with a program that knows how to do
so... Ben Myers
Old July 19th 08, 11:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default BIOS and you

Hi mc !

"mc" wrote in message news:4d506492-0218-49fc-8d4a-

I was searching google for 'BIOS reset', so my question would
be...does playing around with the battery jumpers work in restting the
BIOS to a default setting?
mc

Yes, you are absolutely right. If you short across certain jumpers, or
remove the CMOS battery ( for awhile ), this will return the BIOS to a
default setting.

However, that is not the real issue with this message posting. As Ben has
already mentioned, Bill and I want to return our BIOS *programming* to the
original code. We "flashed" our BIOS which changed it, and we want to
return it to the factory original.

So *resetting* the BIOS will only result in returning the BIOS to default
setting as it is programmed. It will not return it to original programming.

OK ?

bob