Advice Please: The Importance of Hard Drive RPMs

Old August 24th 04, 01:39 AM
David Maynard

JAD wrote:

(bottom posting corrected)

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html -- Anton Smit: "Why is
Bottom-posting better than Top-posting
http://www.alt-html.org/index.html#usenet -- Brucie's alt.html General
Information
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_6.html -- zen and the art
of the internet (usenet section)
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html -- Jukka Korpela presents
Tobias Brox's Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
http://www.estreetjournal.com/cgi-lo...net/Etiquette/
-- Netiquette links
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1/ -- "rules" for posting
to usenet
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html -- Richard
Kettlewell: Quoting Style
http://www.html-faq.com/faq.php?clue=topposting -- alt.html FAQ reference
on posting methods
http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/ -- "How not to look like an
idiot", What do you mean "my reply is upside-down"?
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html -- Netmeister: "How do I
quote correctly in Usenet"
http://www.topfloor.com/pr/communities/ch3.htm -- TopFloor Publishing:
Online communities - Participating effectively
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccau...ks/uquote.html --
G.McCaughan: The advantages of Usenet's quoting conventions
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html -- FAQ of Proper Quoting
http://www.windfalls.net/ukrm/postinghelp.html -- "Suggestions on how to post"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html -- news.newusers.questions FAQ

What are you comparing? Using arbitrary words like OLD NEW, doesn't
cut it. AND YOU SAID A HARDDRIVE upgrade will make more of a
performance kick than upgrading the CPU.

He said more of an improvement in *system response*, not 'performance'.

\
OK then lets talk what era's we are referring to. 1980's HD Vs 2002?
Why would we be comparing this?

No one was except you in trying to create a silly scenario with which to
argue about. It's called a strawman.

OLD HDs are usually connected to an OLD chipsets, so no matter the HD
upgrade the performance will be gimped. Larger HD's (which are usually
faster RPM wise) after being filled up will bog the file system and
hence slow the system in some barely noticeable way.

That's funny. First you say that 7200 RPM isn't faster than 5400 and now
you say a large drive will bog things down. So your recommendation is to
get a small, slow, 5400 RPM drive to keep things 'speedy'?

The poster is simply giving you a personal account of what I was telling
you all along. That the typical user tends to perceive 'speed' (or, as he
put it, system response) in program load times that are, barring a
deficiency somewhere else, primarily a result of hard drive performance.

"chrisv" wrote in message

"JAD" wrote:

(top posting corrected)

"chrisv" wrote:

I think you're right. In my experience, upgrading an older

machine

with a modern HD makes a much more noticeable improvement in
system response than a CPU upgrade does.

you are absolutely out on 'cloud 9'

Incorrect, oh clueless one.

I wasn't going to respond to this but I'm in a foul

mood............if

you are saying that a 5400 rpm HD upgraded to a 7200rpm drive is

more

of a UPGRADE than replacing the CPU with a newer faster CPU, your a
lot more clueless than I.

Having reading difficulties, JAD? I did not compare "5400 RPM HD

vs.

7200RPM HD", it was "old HD vs. modern HD".

Also note that I said that a modern HD gives a more noticeable
improvement in "system response", compared to a CPU upgrade. Note
that "system response" does not mean more FPS in Quake, or whatever
you personally might consider an "upgrade". It means how quickly
common file-based operations (the things that usually make you wait)
occur. It's quite unusual to be waiting on your CPU to

crunch-through

something, in normal computer usage...

Old August 24th 04, 02:03 AM
JAD

bite me NG nazi

"David Maynard" wrote in message
JAD wrote:

[...]

"chrisv" wrote in message

"JAD" wrote:

(top posting corrected)

Old August 24th 04, 03:56 AM
David Maynard

JAD wrote:

bite me NG nazi

I was content to say nothing about it till you found it necessary to go
around 'correcting' people with the "bottom posting corrected" jab.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html -- Jukka Korpel presents

Old August 24th 04, 04:13 AM
JAD

you don't read well do you.....

...it was a retaliatory strike, not a 'first'

as I said earlier, head back to the tackle box........

http://www.estreetjournal.com/cgi-lo...mputers/Intern

Old August 24th 04, 04:39 AM
Eric Gisin

Another posting nazi. Please everyone, top post for Davy.

There are no rules for usenet posting style. Get a ****ing life.

Old August 24th 04, 04:57 AM
David Maynard

JAD wrote:

you don't read well do you.....

..it was a retaliatory strike, not a 'first'

I didn't say it was a 'first'. The difference is he was right and you were
wrong, as the links demonstrate.

as I said earlier, head back to the tackle box........

I'm curious; what's the weather like on your planet? Because we don't get
much other than earth news here.

Old August 24th 04, 05:42 AM
David Maynard

Eric Gisin wrote:

Another posting nazi. Please everyone, top post for Davy.

There are no rules for usenet posting style. Get a ****ing life.

Got one, thank you.

Why don't you try getting a clue. I posted a few to make it easier.

Old August 24th 04, 08:57 AM
J. Clarke

Boys, boys, behave yourselves.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 24th 04, 02:09 PM
kony

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:39:26 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
wrote:

Another posting nazi. Please everyone, top post for Davy.

There are no rules for usenet posting style. Get a ****ing life.

Funny how it disturb you enough to stop and whine about it.
Old August 24th 04, 02:49 PM
David Maynard

wrote:

Another posting nazi. Please everyone, top post for Davy.

There are no rules for usenet posting style. Get a ****ing life.

Funny how it disturb you enough to stop and whine about it.

Not to mention I'm a 'nazi' for merely posting links that discuss it.