PIII 1333

Old October 2nd 03, 02:32 PM
roch

Default PIII 1333

Hi
What do you think about PIII 1333 Tualatin?
I have Celeron 677 and I can buy PIII 1333 (my motherboard suports tualatin)
for 50$. I'v read Intel has problems with this CPU. Is it true?

regards
Roch

Old October 2nd 03, 06:58 PM
kony

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:32:34 +0200, "roch"
wrote:

Hi
What do you think about PIII 1333 Tualatin?
I have Celeron 677 and I can buy PIII 1333 (my motherboard suports tualatin)
for 50$. I'v read Intel has problems with this CPU. Is it true?

regards
Roch

What problems?
They had a problem with the first Coppermine PIII 1.13GHz, which was
overcome with the Tualatins.

It's not going to give you the same performance as a modern Athlon or
P4, but is almost the same performance per MHz as the Athlon, or more
performance per MHz than a P4, assuming you mean the PIII version with
256K L2 cache. It'd be a very significant upgrade from your Celeron
677 since not only the processor is faster, but also the FSB & Memory
bus. So its a good bang-for-buck upgrade but won't result in
modern/current performance levels.

Your current Celeron heatsink probably provides more cooling ability
than that Celeron actually needs, so might be reusable on the
Tualatlin, whereas an Athlon or P4 of similar performance would need a
better heatsink. This is assuming the retail heatsink, if the Celeron
has a generic/small $3 'sink instead then you might need a better
heatsink, something like a generic $6 'sink spec'd for up to XP1600
Athlons... a Socket A 'sink usually works fine on Socket 370, provided
the dimensions of the 'sink don't interfere with any motherboard
components (like capacitors).

Dave

Dave
Old October 2nd 03, 08:02 PM
Mike Walsh

The Tualatin was the last and best P3. It has 512 Kb L2 cache and works in multiple processor systems.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old October 3rd 03, 12:53 AM
kony

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:02:48 GMT, Mike Walsh
wrote:

The Tualatin was the last and best P3. It has 512 Kb L2 cache and works in multiple processor systems.

Not necessarily.

Tualatin Celeron doesn't work in MP systems, and Tualatin P3 comes in
both 256K L2 and 512K L2 versions. The 512K version is "usually"
ridiculously expensive, making the 256K version a much better deal, or
for the overclockers, just o'c a 1GHz Celeron to 1.33GHz @ 133FSB and
you have exact same performance as the P3 1.33 w/256 L2.

It just might not be worthwhile to o'c a Celeron though if the OP can
get a P3 Tually for $50, which is about half their current price.

Dave