Active cooling of PC case temperature

Old July 2nd 03, 02:23 AM
Spajky

On 1 Jul 2003 10:03:11 -0700, (Danathar) wrote:

Does anybody out there know of active cooling system that cools the
Air temperature inside a PC case?

http://myhome.netsgo.com/wesleycrush...i010604a-1.htm

-- Regards, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed "Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old July 2nd 03, 02:35 PM
Al Dykes

Given good airflow (intake low and in front, exhaust at the
rear and high) you might be OK. Try to measure your temps
before you go oout and spend big bucks.

If you have not already done so, enable the CPU temperature
monitor on your system.

I suggest also adding an overtemp alarm (see

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/
alarmandaccesories/alert/index.htm

These things sound off at 110DegF. Put one of these
next to your disk. If it doesn't go off you're OK.
If it does try getting more airflow over the disk.

Put a thermometer on the floor. It may be a degree or two cooler than
on your desk. If so, put your system unit on the floor.

If you are at the upper end of the acceptable temp range,
I wouldn't worry.

You aren't overclocking this system are you ?

In article ,
Danathar wrote:
Does anybody out there know of active cooling system that cools the
Air temperature inside a PC case?

Regular fans will not work for me...here's why.

My office at work get's upwards of 90+ degrees in the summertime
because the building's AC is turned off. Putting a bigger fan will
just push more hot air from outside in my office into my case.

I've seen all sorts of mods for water cooling mods, but just regular
fans for air cooling?

Does anybody know of anything out there?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old July 2nd 03, 05:15 PM
Al Dykes

In article m,
jaster wrote:
He said the office temp was 90F not the cpu temp.

"bobb" wrote in message
On 1 Jul 2003 10:03:11 -0700, (Danathar) wrote:

My office at work get's upwards of 90+ degrees in the summertime
because the building's AC is turned off. Putting a bigger fan will
just push more hot air from outside in my office into my case.

So what's the problem?

A CPU + HDD nominal operating temperature is around 100F, so 90F is
considered cool.

If you are working in a un-aircon truck in Arizona, that's another
matter, but your brain would not be too good for that job either.

Someone asks what if he places his PC next to the fridge opened up
just a tad. I would let others field your curiosity.

You can "underclock" it during hot spells.

You can forcast what your system temps will be, based on measurements
you can make right now. The temperature is more correctly stated as
"Degrees above ambient". For my system, right now the intake is room
temp (79DegF) and the ASUS Probe utility reports that the CPU is at
132 Deg and the mobo temp is 89.

My system is a AMD AthlonXp 2200 system with the AMD retail heat sink
and fan. in a low tower case that came with one intake fan in the
front. I added a good exhaust fan at the rear, which happens to be
behind the CPU and drags fresh air across the heat sink.

If my room temp goes to 90 this summer (possible) my CPU will be at
133DegF. That's OK.

If my room temp goes to 90 this summer (possible) my CPU will be at
133DegF. That's OK. Your CPU manufacturer's web site (intel or AMD)
will have a technical document for your CPU that lists the Maximum CPU
("die") temperature which, for me is listed as 85DegC/185DegF which
give me plenty of headroom. I also see a technical document of case
design that list case ambient limmit as 42DegC/107DegF, which I may
actually come close to on a 100 Deg day. I'm not going to worlly about
it.

Radio Shack makes a digital thermometer with the sensor on a long
wire, so you can tuck it into various spots on your system. Close the
cabinet up and put in it's intended location for an accurate
measurememt. Look at the current internal temps, and the room
temp and do the math.

I like to keep my disks below 110DegF. Make sure they get airflow.

Lots of turbulent airflow inside the case will prevent hotspots.

I don't have A/C at home and the room temp might hit 100Deg (unlikely
but concievable). I suppose if I had to run my system at that temp I'd
slow the clocks until the hotspell passed.

If you have an intake and an exhaust fan tape up all the
random case openings to let the fans work best.

--
Al Dykes

Old July 2nd 03, 11:05 PM
Danathar

No overclocking. Its a standard Dell GX400 that was issued to me by
the Gov'mnt. I log into the box from home on the weekends.

-Doug