Intel Motherboard around D915GV - no 1600x1200 ??

Old November 13th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
arifi

Default Intel Motherboard around D915GV - no 1600x1200 ??

Hello everyone.

I have a PC built around the Intel D915GVWB motherboard, with 2GB RAM,
64MB reserved for Video. I am running on Windows XP Pro SP2.

It seems that the on-board graphics does not support any physical
resolution higher than 1280x1024. My monitor is capable of 1600x1200, I
set the windows display setting to 1600x1200, but all this does is to
give a "virtual" 1600x1200 in a 1280x1024 frame. In other words, the
monitor displays a 1280x1024 portion of a 1600x1200 area, which scrolls
when the mouse cursor is moved beyond the 1280x1024 area's borders.
Like a "virtual" desktop.

The monitor is a iiyama MT-9017e, which is correctly recognized by
Windows.

What am I missing ?
Thanks in advance,
-arifi

Old November 13th 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
Jeff Gaines

On 13/11/2006 in message
.com arifi wrote:

What am I missing ?

A graphics card that does 1600x1220!
You'll have to add one and turn off onboard graphics.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK
Old November 14th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
DaveW

You cannot possibly expect an on-board $10 video chip to produce high
resolutions rivaling current separate video cards. Buy your self the
required video card if you want 1600 x 1200.

--
DaveW

----------------
oups.com...

Old November 14th 06, 10:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
arifi

Thanks everyone.

It seems I was fooled by my memory. I thought the specs of the intel
chip claimed ability to support this resloution...

Old November 14th 06, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
Trent

On 13 Nov 2006 04:18:44 -0800 "arifi" wrote in
Message id: .com:

Hello everyone.

I have a PC built around the Intel D915GVWB motherboard, with 2GB RAM,
64MB reserved for Video. I am running on Windows XP Pro SP2.

It seems that the on-board graphics does not support any physical
resolution higher than 1280x1024. My monitor is capable of 1600x1200, I
set the windows display setting to 1600x1200, but all this does is to
give a "virtual" 1600x1200 in a 1280x1024 frame. In other words, the
monitor displays a 1280x1024 portion of a 1600x1200 area, which scrolls
when the mouse cursor is moved beyond the 1280x1024 area's borders.
Like a "virtual" desktop.

I have a MB based around that chipset and it supports 1600x1200 just fine.
Check your driver revision. My version is 6.14.10.3818.

I'm using Win2K, but hopefully the following should be similar:
Check under advanced settings, in the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator
Driver tab, click on the Graphics Properties button, and then the
information tab. Make sure that the mode is supported in the slider bar.
Old November 14th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
arifi

Dear Trent,

Could you please tell which motherboard (make/model) you are using? I
chacked the settings you mention, and no 1600x1200 modes are listed. I
tried iiyama's driver (monitor is a iiyama MT-9017e), windows' standart
SVGA 1600x1200 driver, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,
-arifi

Old November 15th 06, 10:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
Trent

On 14 Nov 2006 11:12:48 -0800 "arifi" wrote in
Message id: . com:

[Top posting corrected. Please do not top post, it screws up the natural
order of the discussion.]

Trent wrote:
[...]

It's an industrial PICMG board manufactured by Commell:
http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/FS-979.HTM

chacked the settings you mention, and no 1600x1200 modes are listed. I
tried iiyama's driver (monitor is a iiyama MT-9017e), windows' standart
SVGA 1600x1200 driver, but nothing seems to work.

My monitor is listed as "default monitor". IOW, I have not installed a
specific driver for my monitor. Perhaps there's a clue there? Here's a
test you can try: remove the driver for the monitor, then do a Windows
restart - as soon as it begins shutting down, disconnect the VGA cable
from the monitor, and do not connect until the machine has re-booted and
Windows has completely restarted and returned to the desktop. If you're
not sure when this occurs, wait a good 5 minutes. Then re-connect the
monitor and fiddle with the settings to see if you can now get 1600x1200.

Let me know how this works and we'll go from there.
Old November 15th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
arifi

Dear Trent,

I tried this with no success. I also upgraded the motherboard to the
latest BIOS and all drivers to their latest versions. The behavior is
still the same. I do not know what else one can try. I even suspected
that the monitor does not actually support 1600x1200 - but there are
references on the net that it does.

I am open to all ideas.

Best,
-arifi

Old November 16th 06, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
Trent

On 15 Nov 2006 12:23:41 -0800 "arifi" wrote in
Message id: . com:

Dear Trent,

I tried this with no success. I also upgraded the motherboard to the
latest BIOS and all drivers to their latest versions. The behavior is
still the same. I do not know what else one can try. I even suspected
that the monitor does not actually support 1600x1200 - but there are
references on the net that it does.

And there are ones that claim it does not:
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~zjohnson/doc/monitor.html

The only thing I can suggest is trying another monitor that is known to
work at this frequency. Because of what you said about the desktop being
larger than the screen in that mode, I would say that it is a video driver
issue. If it were a monitor issue, you would most likely lose the picture
if it did not support the mode properly, which would be another issue.

Might be a good time for an upgrade. You can get a refurbished 21" CRT for
under a hundred bucks these days if you shop around locally.
Old November 16th 06, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel
arifi

Trent wrote:
[...]

This may really be an option .. Thanks for the communication.
Cheers
-arifi