"Disk I/O Error"

Old September 30th 03, 04:11 AM
Rabby

Default "Disk I/O Error"

Hi,

I recently built a new Athlon system. However, when I tried to move
my old storage HD to the new computer and set it as a slave to the new
HD with XP installed, everything would run veeerrry slowly, and there
are strange cycling ticking noises coming from the old drive. It
never got past the "Starting windows. . . " blue screen.

If I set this old HD as the master (even though it's not a bootable
disk), I get a message stating "Disk I/O Error: Please replace and
press any key to continue" and hangs there indefinitely.

Does this mean the harddisk is dead? I've been using it in my old
computer for 3 years and it has worked fine, and I've just pulled it
out two days ago.

I've also noticed that one pin on the IDE connection port is shorter
than the rest! If the side with less number of pins is facing down,
it's the leftmost, top row pin that's about 1 mm shorter than all the
other pins. I've never noticed that before -- would this influence
the I/O of the disk? I tried getting a pair of tweezers and pulling
it out, but it's very firmly in place, suggesting that its been like
that all the time, including the time where it worked just fine in my
old computer.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. If possible, I'd like to
rescue the information in the disk lots of sentimental memories. . .

Thanks!

Rabby
Old September 30th 03, 11:41 AM
philo

"Rabby" wrote in message
om...
[...]

put the disk back in your old computer...
if it works ok then try removing it but leaving the ide ribbon attached...
put it in your new machine on the 2nd ide channel and see what happens

just a guess, but the new ribbon cable may not be making contact
with that short pin

if the drive still does not work in the new machine
i suppose you could just put it back in the old machine and do a cable or
network data transfer