Best way to cut/trim plastic?

Old July 1st 03, 07:42 AM
spodosaurus

Default Best way to cut/trim plastic?

Dk975 wrote:
I'm thinking of trimming some of the plastic on my PC case bezel to widen
the air holes. I have an Antec SLK3700 which don't have very wide intake
holes in the plastic. What is the easiest way to do this? I would only
have to get rid of the little plastic overhangs.

dremel

drill

hot plastic cutting knife

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old July 2nd 03, 12:38 AM
Richard Brooks

"Dk975" wrote in message
et...
I'm thinking of trimming some of the plastic on my PC case bezel to widen
the air holes. I have an Antec SLK3700 which don't have very wide intake
holes in the plastic. What is the easiest way to do this? I would only
have to get rid of the little plastic overhangs.

A general tip for anyone cutting plastics.

Just saw a DIY tips programme on TV recently and the bloke was talking about
putting a strip of Sellotape/clear tape over the line to cut in Perspex
which is a similar type of product but a bit harder to cut. The tape melts
at low temperature and lubricates the bit or saw.

Richard.

Old July 2nd 03, 04:10 AM
Phisherman

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:38:22 +0100, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

"Dk975" wrote in message
. net...
I'm thinking of trimming some of the plastic on my PC case bezel to widen
the air holes. I have an Antec SLK3700 which don't have very wide intake
holes in the plastic. What is the easiest way to do this? I would only
have to get rid of the little plastic overhangs.

A general tip for anyone cutting plastics.

Just saw a DIY tips programme on TV recently and the bloke was talking about
putting a strip of Sellotape/clear tape over the line to cut in Perspex
which is a similar type of product but a bit harder to cut. The tape melts
at low temperature and lubricates the bit or saw.

Richard.

I might try a propane torch and a hot steak knife.
Old July 2nd 03, 11:17 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:38:22 +0100, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

"Dk975" wrote in message
. net...
I'm thinking of trimming some of the plastic on my PC case bezel to

widen
the air holes. I have an Antec SLK3700 which don't have very wide

intake
holes in the plastic. What is the easiest way to do this? I would

only
have to get rid of the little plastic overhangs.

A general tip for anyone cutting plastics.

Just saw a DIY tips programme on TV recently and the bloke was talking

about
putting a strip of Sellotape/clear tape over the line to cut in Perspex
which is a similar type of product but a bit harder to cut. The tape

melts
at low temperature and lubricates the bit or saw.

Richard.

I might try a propane torch and a hot steak knife.

Try a soldering gun. With the right tip it can be very useful in modding.

Old July 2nd 03, 11:46 PM
Richard Brooks

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:38:22 +0100, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

"Dk975" wrote in message
. net...
I'm thinking of trimming some of the plastic on my PC case bezel to

widen
the air holes. I have an Antec SLK3700 which don't have very wide

intake
holes in the plastic. What is the easiest way to do this? I would

only
have to get rid of the little plastic overhangs.

A general tip for anyone cutting plastics.

Just saw a DIY tips programme on TV recently and the bloke was talking

about
putting a strip of Sellotape/clear tape over the line to cut in Perspex
which is a similar type of product but a bit harder to cut. The tape

melts
at low temperature and lubricates the bit or saw.

Richard.

I might try a propane torch and a hot steak knife.

12 Bore works well from close range but only if the barrel is not the
Russian brand Sawnov!

Richard.

Old July 3rd 03, 12:59 AM
Overlord

A dremel is nice. For small fine work tho.... I go with a single
edged razor blade and a steady hand

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:54:23 GMT, "Dk975"
wrote:

I'm thinking of trimming some of the plastic on my PC case bezel to widen
the air holes. I have an Antec SLK3700 which don't have very wide intake
holes in the plastic. What is the easiest way to do this? I would only
have to get rid of the little plastic overhangs.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost