A New Gateway

Old March 8th 07, 12:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

Default A New Gateway

On Mar 7, 1:45 am, Ben Myers
wrote:
Old habits. I still deal with Gateway computers, but much less so than in the
old 486 days... Ben Myers

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:21:01 -0500, Lee wrote:
Ben Myers wrote:
There is not much posted on this newsgroup because sales of Gateway computers
have dropped off.... Ben Myers

Hi Ben

See you are still hanging in there though! Thanks for that btw! Well I
had my first problem and it is the same as the last time I bought a
computer from them. The old "the part we need is missing and the
delivery of your computer has been delayed". But as I said the computer
I have has worked great and has lasted even though it is slow!

But I am sure it would happen regardless of the computer brand you buy.
It was funny though same thing as the last time I bought. You would
think they would have enough stock to cover what they call the base
models. I could understand it better if it was something other than
what comes with the computer as listed on their site!

It is a shame that they do not understand when a person makes that kind
of a purchase they don't want to hear delays, they want it as soon as
possible or at least I do (grin)

Lee- Hide quoted text -

So what's the bottom line? Buy new GW or go to Dell or another?
Don't tell me to build my own - not going there.
Frank

Old March 8th 07, 01:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lee

Frank wrote:

So what's the bottom line? Buy new GW or go to Dell or another?
Don't tell me to build my own - not going there.

Hi Frank

No, the truth is that there will always be some problems with items
being purchased regardless of the company. The main thing I look for is
how do they handle the problem when they are told about it. So far
their response has been pretty good (gateway)... It was just weird that
it would happen again though. So far they have been pretty good. But
to clarify it further they found a discrepancy with Vista and a
card/drivers? in the computer and rather then send out a problem for the
consumer they held up the line (which I am sure cost them money) to make
sure the problem were resolved before shipping it out to the customers.

To me it seems they lean more towards customer satisfaction and that to
me helps me make my decision as to where I spend my money.

Lee (in Florida) waiting for his DX430X

Old March 8th 07, 08:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
frank.logullo

"Lee" wrote in message
Frank wrote:

[...]

On Vista, I'm waiting a few months to buy a new computer and know there will
be problems with some old software.
I have had good luck with GW and only had a lemon several years ago. GW was
good but I would have liked to have the frequent flyer miles on all the
trips the computer took. Even serviceman coming to house with motherboard
could not fix it.

In my experience, over the years, businesses quality can rise and fall. I've
seen this in products like cars, washing machines and lawnmowers and not
having bought a new computer for 3-4 years is a lifetime in the computer
business. It is good to touch base with current customers.

Frank

Old March 9th 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
El Cugino

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:51:06 -0800, "Tim" wrote:

These guys may be able to help. I've bought 2 boards from them.

http://www.ascendtech.us/

Thanks Tim, Ascenditech doesn't have the board I'm looking for. Let
me describe it once more. Gateway Mid Tower has a BTX form
motherboard. An ATX motherboard won't work. The Tower is useless
without a BTX form board. No vendor out there has a BTX board that
will fit the Gateway Tower. Gateway won't sell one. If I bought an
ATX board, I would have to buy another tower. The Gateway licensed XP
Media software won't go on it because it's on a Gateway restore disk
which will only work on the model Gateway that it was created for. I
say again... If you buy a Gateway... don't get it at Best Buy, Office
max, Circuit City or Office Depot. It's not the same. Gateway won't
help you out. All Gateway will say to me is go buy from a local
vendor. That sucks. When I asked if they would give me my licensed
copy of XP they say, go purchase it too.

Good Luck! I've been a Gateway person for many years. I've owned
several and bought most on line. Of all those computers, I only
replaced a sound card once. I currently have a 5 year old P4 still
running well. a Notebook and recently a GT528.

Just don't buy a Gateway from tBest Buy, Office Depot etc. . They
don't give any support and double talk you when you call. Of note is
the new BTX form motherboard for an Athlon 64 x2. It failed two
weeks out of warranty and there is none to be had. No internet
dealers nor any locall vendors can get that board. Gateway has them,
but will not sell you one if you bought it in stores.

When you talk to Tech Support or Chat with an on line Gateway tech,
you are talking to E-machines. When you talk to the parts people for
gateway, you are talking also to E-machines.

Good Luck

Old March 11th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Gary M. Rooker

I am on my 7th or 8th Gateways since the early 1990's have no major
problems and excellent service and support. I just hope the 3 new
one's I bought will hold up and last as long. I have a 9 year old
P-233 that is still working well, I had to upgrad just because I
couldn't get new compatibvle software.
A satisfied Gateway customer

Gary R. from Virginia

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:01:22 -0500, Lee
wrote:

Well soon I will be retiring my Gateway G6, 333 mhz computer and
getting my "new" Gateway DX430X. Really am excited as this one
will be "slightly faster" (grin). The old one has worked well
for me! Also the old EV700 monitor I heard so much negativityabout
has provided such good service and still has a great picture. Gateway
really did put out a great computer. I only had one repair and
that was the FlopOptical which never made it as the CD/DVD really
took off. 9 years of use and still working great.

Hope the new one will do as well.

Lee (in Florida)

Old March 11th 07, 01:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lee

Gary M. Rooker wrote:
I am on my 7th or 8th Gateways since the early 1990's have no major
problems and excellent service and support. I just hope the 3 new
one's I bought will hold up and last as long. I have a 9 year old
P-233 that is still working well, I had to upgrad just because I
couldn't get new compatibvle software.
A satisfied Gateway customer

Wel I guess there are a lot of satisfied customers, but no company will
ever have a perfect record of satisfying everyone. But like you when I
buy something and it lasts a long time and the customer service is great
I remember and buy from them again. Needless to say I don't buy that
many computers but I just like the company.

I am still waiting for my new one to go into production as they have
held it up until the rectify a Vista/hardware glitch. But at least it
won't be something that ends up on my desk to fight over. But you know
how it is when you buy something new! You develop the 5 year old
attitude. I want it now!!!! But patience is learned and I have had
many years to learn it. (grin) Women will never understand men and
their toys! (grin)

Well it will be interesting with Vista to see how much of my old
software will work. But then that is sometimes the fun in getting a new
one and making things work.

Lee (in Florida)
Old March 20th 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Scott

Lee wrote:

Well soon I will be retiring my Gateway G6, 333 mhz computer and
getting my "new" Gateway DX430X. Really am excited as this one
will be "slightly faster" (grin). The old one has worked well
for me! Also the old EV700 monitor I heard so much negativityabout
has provided such good service and still has a great picture. Gateway
really did put out a great computer. I only had one repair and
that was the FlopOptical which never made it as the CD/DVD really
took off. 9 years of use and still working great.

Hope the new one will do as well.

Lee (in Florida)

Lee,

Hey, that's great! I have a similar story. My very first computer, a
Gateway P5-90 that I bought in 1994 is still running great after 12 1/2
years. The only modifications were a second hard drive and a 200mHz Pentium
overdrive chip. I still run my home business on it, and it loves Windows 95.

I currently run three other Gateway desktops and 2 laptops at home....1999 -
2005 vintage. They're all running great. I can't remember the last time
I called GW tech support.

Yes, Gateway makes excellent computers.

Scott (in Minnesota)
Old March 20th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lee

Scott wrote:

Yes, Gateway makes excellent computers.

Scott (in Minnesota)

Hey Scott

Yep it is too bad that sometimes a company does not deserve the rep that
they get. We both agree that the machines we got worked well. Even the
monitor that everyone said was lousy but I had no problems but did not
allow the dust to collect on them. I bought one of those compressors
for tires and I would use it to blow them out. Does not take long for
dust to accumulate in them and I bet that caused a lot of failures.

Well glad to hear I was not the only one who had success. BTW they
speeded up my order (after they did the config problems) and the monitor
arrives tomorrow and the computer itself the day after. I will be
having fun for a few days!

Take care and lets hope Vista works as advertised.

Lee (in SUNNY (79 degree Florida)

Gateway processor in non-Gateway motherboard Mac Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 11th 06 08:47 PM
Gateway processor in non-Gateway motherboard Mac AMD Thunderbird Processors 2 March 11th 06 08:47 PM
Gateway G6-333 te100 Gateway Computers 5 August 10th 04 01:18 AM
Hard Drive Comaptibility Gateway vs non-Gateway???? mike Gateway Computers 2 December 25th 03 04:46 AM
WTD: Motherboard Layout for Gateway Gateway 4000206 TonyG Gateway Computers 3 August 9th 03 12:33 AM