Advice?

Old November 17th 06, 12:49 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Joe

Default Advice?

This'll sound like kid's stuff to you experts, but it's important to me that
I get the right answer cuz I am technologically "challenged".

I want a decent PC but don;t want to spend a fortune.

I was going to go for a 1.86GHz E6300 Core 2 Duo, but saw a 3.2 GHz P4 HT
system and wondered if I'd be better or just as safe with that. I play some
games like Tomb Raider Legend and Need For Speed Most Wanted, but apart from
that I just surf, do email, photoshop etc.,. Would the P4 be okay for me?
How does it compare with the Core 2 Duo I mentioned (1.86GHz E6300).

TIA.
Joe.

Old November 17th 06, 11:14 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Jeff Gaines

On 17/11/2006 in message
k Joe wrote:

This'll sound like kid's stuff to you experts, but it's important to me
that I get the right answer cuz I am technologically "challenged".

I want a decent PC but don;t want to spend a fortune.

I was going to go for a 1.86GHz E6300 Core 2 Duo, but saw a 3.2 GHz P4 HT
system and wondered if I'd be better or just as safe with that. I play
some games like Tomb Raider Legend and Need For Speed Most Wanted, but
apart from that I just surf, do email, photoshop etc.,. Would the P4 be
okay for me? How does it compare with the Core 2 Duo I mentioned (1.86GHz
E6300).

TIA.
Joe.

I guess there may be some bargains around on P4 but I wouldn't buy one
now. If you go Core 2 Duo you will at least have some element of 'future
proofing'. Can you stretch to an E6600 with the bigger cache? That and a
965 mainboard would give you a nice machine that would last a few years.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK
Old November 17th 06, 09:09 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Fidelis K

"Joe" wrote in message
news
I was going to go for a 1.86GHz E6300 Core 2 Duo, but saw a 3.2 GHz P4 HT
system and wondered if I'd be better or just as safe with that. I play
some games like Tomb Raider Legend and Need For Speed Most Wanted, but
apart from that I just surf, do email, photoshop etc.,. Would the P4 be
okay for me? How does it compare with the Core 2 Duo I mentioned (1.86GHz
E6300).

I recently moved from a P4 2.8 GHz HT system to a 2.13 GHz E6400 system. The
Core 2 Duo system absolutely kills the P4 system. I can definitely notice
the difference even when doing casual stuff. I never thought my P4 system
was slow, but after experiencing C2D, there's simply no comparison. Spending
$$ on the P4 at this point is a waste of $$. You gotta see me playing Tomb
Raider Legend at 1920x1200 with max detail on my C2D system, especially the
Japan level:-)