LUN sharing (DS4300 with storage partitions)

Old May 23rd 06, 07:06 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default LUN sharing (DS4300 with storage partitions)

On Tue, 23 May 2006 07:44:03 -0700, Arne Joris wrote:

Hmm I'm getting confused by this thread.

I think you are describing the very reason the DS4300 provides storage
partitioning.
The DS4300 uses host groups, allowing you to group hosts that need to
see a certain set of volumes together. By restricting what hosts are
allowed to see on the DS4300, you don't need to rely on host-side
drivers doing the right thing, or agreeing on things. Nomatter what
driver you have in your windows or AIX hosts, they simply can not
access the forbidden volumes because they can not see them.

I totally agree.

Now, it sounds like you already have host groups in place, and now you
want an extra volume visible to all hosts, right ? Just create a new
host group (named "all" or whatever), and put both windows and AIX
hosts in there. Then export the volumes you want to be visible to all
in that host group.

I turns out that some simple (?) setups are impossible with
Storage Partitioning.

My situation :

Hosts : AIX1, AIX2, W2K3.
Luns : LUN1, LUN2, TSM

I want LUN1 and LUN2 being accessible by AIX1 and AIX2 _ONLY_.
I want TSM being accessible by ALL hosts.

It's the responsibility of the cluster software (SANergy ?) to not have
all OS in the "all" host group to go scribble all over each other.
There's nothing your storage array can do for you there.

To share TSM lun through SANergy to all the hosts, all the hosts must
have access to TSM lun. SANergy allows _proper_ access.

Thanks for Your comments.

Best Regards,
--
Marek

Old May 23rd 06, 11:02 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Hosts : AIX1, AIX2, W2K3.
Luns : LUN1, LUN2, TSM

I want LUN1 and LUN2 being accessible by AIX1 and AIX2 _ONLY_.
I want TSM being accessible by ALL hosts.

You can't assign a host to more than one host group, but couldn't you
do this :

1. host group "aix", type AIX with hosts AIX1 and AIX2, volumes LUN1
and LUN2,
2. host group "default group" with TSM

Volumes in the "default group" should be visible to all hosts.

Old May 25th 06, 10:51 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:02:29 -0700, Arne Joris wrote:

Hosts : AIX1, AIX2, W2K3.
Luns : LUN1, LUN2, TSM

I want LUN1 and LUN2 being accessible by AIX1 and AIX2 _ONLY_.
I want TSM being accessible by ALL hosts.

You can't assign a host to more than one host group, but couldn't you
do this :

1. host group "aix", type AIX with hosts AIX1 and AIX2, volumes LUN1
and LUN2,
2. host group "default group" with TSM

Volumes in the "default group" should be visible to all hosts.

Unfortunately, they are not. This is exactly my problem.

/../

Marek,

When you define host port you need to select its WWN from the list or you
can type it down.

I haven't ever tried this so it might not work but try to create host group
"ALL", define hosts "AIX1", "AIX2", "W2K3", create host ports "AIX1port1",
"AIX2port1", "W2K3port1" (copying/pasting corresponding WWNs from existing
host port definitions) and map "ALL" to TSM.

Piotr