VTL vs. Backup to Disk

Old August 13th 05, 12:22 AM
David Magda

"Joe Rom King" writes:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"

Can you please turn off HTML posting? Some of us don't have news
readers that can handle it.

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Old August 25th 05, 01:44 PM
Rob

The bigggest benefit I know of is the ability to quickly get your data
backed up . If you need to store offsite copies of tape the best solution I
found is the ADIC Pathlight VX. It automates the path to tape making it
effortless. I backup to disk then let the VX handle when teh data gets old
the migration to tape. At the same time the data is first acked up to disk I
also have the ability to let the ADIC device cut a copy of tape for offsite.
So in essense I have 3 copies of my data. The big difference between this
and aother D-D-T is I only need one library license from Veritas unlike the
CDL option from EMC where you would need two library licenses.

wrote in message
oups.com...
What other considerations might there be. The two environments I'm
speaking of would have their own dedicated disk/VTL and sharing
wouldn't be a issue. What about cost, performance or functionality?

Old August 29th 05, 07:14 PM
Jamey Kirby

These are all good points.

Disk is designated as DASD (direct access storage device). This means
that the disk can do random reads and random writes. Tape can only do
random reads without truncating the data. This functionality must be
emulated to provide a complete tape emulation solution.

Both are block devices. It does not take much emulation to make the disk
look like a tape; in fact there is a patent that has been around for
many years covering tape emulation using disks.

The question boils down to backup application support. Most of the major
backup ISVs support tape and tape libraries. Disk-to-disk support is
sketchy, so a good VTL may provide for a better solutions and better
compatibility with existing backup applications.

The idea of a changer is not restricted to tape. There are numerous CD
and DVD changers out that work similar to the way tape changers work; in
fact the SCSI specification for a changer is not bound to tape.

I suspect for an ISV to do D2D properly, a changer emulation layer needs
to be implemented in the D2D environment. For now, I recommend using a
VTL. NovaStor also has a VTL package. I have not used it, so I can not
comment on it.

Jamey Kirby

Partition Utility Bob General 49 May 30th 05 10:50 PM
P4S333 hard drive capacity Katy Asus Motherboards 6 September 19th 04 04:26 AM
Disk to Disk Backup recommendations requested Michelle Storage (alternative) 12 September 9th 04 04:15 PM
Backup software for a home network? Ken K Storage (alternative) 25 June 11th 04 01:31 AM
Problem booting from SATA disk with GA-8KNXP motherboard (like many others) Eric Janvier Gigabyte Motherboards 9 November 22nd 03 01:56 AM