Win XP backup utility vs Acronis True Image to make bootable CD

Old December 31st 03, 12:53 PM
AG

Default Win XP backup utility vs Acronis True Image to make bootable CD

I often do a clean install of Win XP. After re-installing Win XP, I would
manually install Windows patches and device drivers; this is time consuming.
I just bought a CDRW (Sony CRX300A) to make the process easier. The "image"
that I would like to backup would be a clean install of Win XP with patches
and drivers only i.e. the state immediately after a clean install. I'm not
going to backup any other software, the sole purpose is to make my future
clean installs faster.

Would it be prudent to make a bootable CD via XP's backup utility (is this
even possible?) or spend $50 for Acronis True Image 6.0? or is there a
better way of doing this?

Old December 31st 03, 04:14 PM
Dave Cohen

You could invest in bootitng from bootitng.com, less than $50 and includes
partitioning and multi os support in addition to imaging. You can download
an evaluation version (you don't have to install to do just the imaging
part).
Dave Cohen

Old December 31st 03, 10:32 PM
John Keiser

You can "slipstream" SP1 to update your version of WinXP for the enxt
reinstall. Do a google serach.

You also might find Autopatcher useful in reinstalling all those patches.
Download at
http://www.neowin.net/autopatcher/

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old January 1st 04, 12:25 AM
AG

BTW I'm using Win XP Home. Is it necessary to run Microsoft Sysprep utility
to reinstall on the same PC?

Or is Sysprep simply not available with Win XP Home?

Old January 1st 04, 12:27 AM
George Earl

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:53:11 GMT, "AG" wrote:

Would it be prudent to make a bootable CD via XP's backup utility (is this
even possible?) or spend $50 for Acronis True Image 6.0? or is there a
better way of doing this?

I have used True Image to do exactly what you are asking about and it
works great. Advantage - it's easy and straightforward. Disadvantage -
it doesn't give you the control and flexibility (and additional
functionality) provided by options mentioned in earlier replies to
your post. True Image 7.0 is out and it has more functionality than
6.0, but I don't know how much more . . .

George

Old January 1st 04, 12:35 AM
mrtee

True Image is now at version 7.0, many improvements and additional =
features. It works great. I backup to another HDD (quicker than CDs) =
and TI now does incremental imaging as well. It is worth the $50 - $30 =
if you have an earlier version, see =
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ HTH.

--=20
Just my 2=A2 worth
Jeff
"AG" wrote in message =
| I often do a clean install of Win XP. After re-installing Win XP, I =
would
| manually install Windows patches and device drivers; this is time =
consuming.
| I just bought a CDRW (Sony CRX300A) to make the process easier. The =
"image"
| that I would like to backup would be a clean install of Win XP with =
patches
| and drivers only i.e. the state immediately after a clean install. I'm =
not
| going to backup any other software, the sole purpose is to make my =
future
| clean installs faster.
|=20
| Would it be prudent to make a bootable CD via XP's backup utility (is =
this
| even possible?) or spend $50 for Acronis True Image 6.0? or is there a
| better way of doing this?
|=20

Old January 1st 04, 01:52 AM
NobodyMan

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:53:11 GMT, "AG" wrote:

I often do a clean install of Win XP. After re-installing Win XP, I would
manually install Windows patches and device drivers; this is time consuming.
I just bought a CDRW (Sony CRX300A) to make the process easier. The "image"
that I would like to backup would be a clean install of Win XP with patches
and drivers only i.e. the state immediately after a clean install. I'm not
going to backup any other software, the sole purpose is to make my future
clean installs faster.

Would it be prudent to make a bootable CD via XP's backup utility (is this
even possible?) or spend $50 for Acronis True Image 6.0? or is there a
better way of doing this?

Why don't you just slipstream SP1 and Rollup 1 into your XP CD and
create a new install CD? Instructions on how to do it are out there;
just do a google search and you'll find it quickly.

It's relatively easy, and results in an install that will only need a
couple of patches once complete.