Comet

Old August 28th 05, 12:53 PM
Ros Fisk

Default Comet

hi, fell for the marketing trick and purchased a PC from Comet.

Once home and fired up it clearly had a hardware fault. I might have been in
the industry years but that counts for nothing, they have to have one of
their 16 year old know it alls look at it, who of course does not work at
weekends.

Result I have spent money, have no device and they are refusing to even
consider a refund at this stage.

Not a particularly pleasent experience, clearly best to avoid them when
purchasiong PC's, customer service is not something they appear interested
in

RF

Old August 28th 05, 01:46 PM
Conor

In article , Ros
Fisk says...
hi, fell for the marketing trick and purchased a PC from Comet.

Once home and fired up it clearly had a hardware fault. I might have been in
the industry years but that counts for nothing, they have to have one of
their 16 year old know it alls look at it, who of course does not work at
weekends.

Result I have spent money, have no device and they are refusing to even
consider a refund at this stage.

Sadly SOGA does say you have to give them the opportunity to repair or
replace.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd
Old August 28th 05, 03:41 PM
Cullen Skink

Ros Fisk wrote:
hi, fell for the marketing trick and purchased a PC from Comet.

Once home and fired up it clearly had a hardware fault. I might have
been in the industry years but that counts for nothing, they have to
have one of their 16 year old know it alls look at it, who of course
does not work at weekends.

Result I have spent money, have no device and they are refusing to
even consider a refund at this stage.

Not a particularly pleasent experience, clearly best to avoid them
when purchasiong PC's, customer service is not something they appear
interested in

All they probably want to do is confirm there is a fault before
refunding/replacing. As far as they are concerned you could simply have
changed your mind. Wait until Monday and if they still refuse you could
have a word with Trading Standards.

Old August 28th 05, 07:16 PM
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"Ros Fisk" wrote:

Once home and fired up it clearly had a hardware fault. I might have been in
the industry years but that counts for nothing, they have to have one of
their 16 year old know it alls look at it, who of course does not work at
weekends.

Result I have spent money, have no device and they are refusing to even
consider a refund at this stage.

The problem is that everyone always "knows a lot about computers", you
might, most just try it on. I'd let them look at it, if they agree it's
a fault then you're entitled to a refund (assuming you mean you
literally just purchased it).

It's annoying when it happens to you but it seems reasonable to let them
confirm it's faulty.

cheers,
Paul

Old August 28th 05, 11:03 PM
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:53:34 +0000 (UTC), "Ros Fisk"
wrote:

hi, fell for the marketing trick and purchased a PC from Comet.

Once home and fired up it clearly had a hardware fault. I might have been in
the industry years but that counts for nothing,

They must know the sort of people who buy their PCs.
I cannot believe that you did...

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old August 28th 05, 11:40 PM
Bruce Stephens

Conor writes:

[...]

And you conveniently missed out the part which says you have to offer
them the chance to repair or replace.

That part seems to be missing from the DTI's fact sheet, too:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm.
Old August 29th 05, 08:59 AM
Dan Hicks

Bruce Stephens wrote:
Conor writes:

[...]

And you conveniently missed out the part which says you have to offer
them the chance to repair or replace.

That part seems to be missing from the DTI's fact sheet, too:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm.

Maybe so, but take a look he
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0043-1011.txt

Old August 29th 05, 11:42 AM
Paul

They must know the sort of people who buy their PCs.
I cannot believe that you did...

When my trusty old Dell's hard drive gave up the ghost, I went out, ****ed
off (lots of work lost) but determined to get a new PC (Aug 04 bank holiday
weekend, so the internet was out if I wanted a quick purchase). The Comet
"IT Works" (their own label) PC was the best spec for the money on the Leeds
retail park where I did my 'research', the salesperson knew his stuff (not
that it mattered) and the PC was fine.

Thinking back, I suppose I did have to connect the PSU fan up and admittedly
I haven't called upon their repair service, but generally I'm pretty happy
with my purchase.

The one major benefit of that shopping trip was that I didn't succumb to the
temptation of buying a very cheap, ex-display Time PC....

Paul