Lost with NDMP

Old November 7th 05, 09:24 AM
kudzu-cro

Default Lost with NDMP

Hello, I am working on tests with various software backup systems to attempt
to backup our netapp fas270 filer. I recently acquired netbackup 5.1 from
our main site and put on a test lan to attempt to do a tape backup from the
filer to the netbackup server attached tape drives. I attempted with ndmp
and figured out (I think) the authentication process because when I use the
ndmp_auth program on the server it replies succesfully and a "success
connect" shows up in the filers messages file. But everytime I attempt to
run a test backup job, it fails with the response of something like
"Connection refused". I'm writing this from home so am relying mostly on
memory. Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to tell the filer to share
the selected backup volumes to ndmp or something or another?
Network connections are 1gig fastether
server is dell 2850 with w2k3
Nothing shows up in filer /etc/messages for failures.nor the w2k3 event
logs.

I have the iscsi license for the filer and was thinking of going that route
by loading the microsoft iscsi driver on the server. Sadly though I'm about
as lost on this method as well but am eager to hear feedback, positive or
negative.

Thanks for any help

Syd

Old November 8th 05, 05:30 PM
Faeandar

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:24:33 GMT, "kudzu-cro"
wrote:

[...]

What version of OT? Check you're options:

ndmpd.access all
ndmpd.authtype challenge
ndmpd.connectlog.enabled off
ndmpd.enable off
ndmpd.ignore_ctime.enabled off
ndmpd.offset_map.enable on
ndmpd.password_length 16
ndmpd.preferred_interface disable (value might be overwritten in
takeover)

NBU can't do challenge for authtype, or at least not pre-6 that I know
of. Also, if you have something other than 'all' in access you need
to make sure one of them is the NDMP client.

~F
Old November 9th 05, 10:58 AM
kudzu-cro

wrote:

[...]

The OT is 7.0.1. All of the options have been checked and there is no
challenge set for authtype and "all" is in place for access. As I mentioned,
when testing for login with the command prompt on the netbackup server, the
filer accepts the session. It just fails with trying a manual backup.

Syd

Old November 9th 05, 06:24 PM
Faeandar

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:58:08 GMT, "kudzu-cro"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It sounds like it should work then, but I've not yet done any testing
with 7.x and there's alot of new stuff in it. Looking on NOW very
quickly I found:

Empty the old configuration file for NetBackup on the Backup Master;
it can be found under /usr/openv/volmgr/database/.namespaces.chksum.

May want to try that and see if it helps. If you can capture actual
settings and messages that may help here as well.

~F

Lost Email Arthur Entlich Printers 0 June 22nd 05 12:39 AM
ALL DATA LOST ???? HELP "bad links in lost chain at cluster" lionking_x Storage (alternative) 4 February 20th 05 04:58 AM
Lost a partition after using Partition Magic WH Brave Storage (alternative) 4 June 15th 04 05:27 PM
NDMP differenctial backup questions, If a file changes Tom Woods Storage & Hardrives 1 December 9th 03 01:30 AM
Networker/NDMP backup problems Michael Taylor Storage & Hardrives 0 November 5th 03 04:14 PM