Shuttle SK43G

Old June 17th 04, 11:59 AM
Kevin Seal

In message , S.Chang
writes

snip history of problem

Anyway, valuable lesson learned, never buy Special offers again.

Surely the other lesson learnt is to have a quick Google first. Then you
would have saved a lot of time and money!
--
Kevin Seal (at home)
FZS600 in Banana

Old June 17th 04, 12:56 PM
Bagpuss

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:59:42 +0100, Kevin Seal
wrote:

In message , S.Chang
writes

snip history of problem

Anyway, valuable lesson learned, never buy Special offers again.

Surely the other lesson learnt is to have a quick Google first. Then you
would have saved a lot of time and money!

But you would expect a bundled set of hardware to at least work
togther, whats the point in bundling a CPU, mobo & RAM if they are
unstable. I suspect myself that its something not right with the
boards/poor QA if the processors are supposed to be compatible.
Old June 17th 04, 01:12 PM
Kevin Seal

In message , Bagpuss
writes
wrote:

In message , S.Chang
writes

snip history of problem

Anyway, valuable lesson learned, never buy Special offers again.

Surely the other lesson learnt is to have a quick Google first. Then you
would have saved a lot of time and money!

But you would expect a bundled set of hardware to at least work
togther, whats the point in bundling a CPU, mobo & RAM if they are
unstable. I suspect myself that its something not right with the
boards/poor QA if the processors are supposed to be compatible.

Sorry, poor attribution/reference (whatever). I meant that once the
problem had reared it's ugly head that a quick Google may have saved
time etc.
Indeed one has every right to expect a bundled set to work flawlessly.

Old June 17th 04, 02:05 PM
Bagpuss

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:12:17 +0100, Kevin Seal
wrote:

In message , Bagpuss
writes
wrote:

In message , S.Chang
writes

snip history of problem

Anyway, valuable lesson learned, never buy Special offers again.

Surely the other lesson learnt is to have a quick Google first. Then you
would have saved a lot of time and money!

But you would expect a bundled set of hardware to at least work
togther, whats the point in bundling a CPU, mobo & RAM if they are
unstable. I suspect myself that its something not right with the
boards/poor QA if the processors are supposed to be compatible.

Sorry, poor attribution/reference (whatever). I meant that once the
problem had reared it's ugly head that a quick Google may have saved
time etc.
Indeed one has every right to expect a bundled set to work flawlessly.

Yep ISWYM. I was thinking that its possibly a few are getting through
testing that are a bit borderline and don't work in situations outside
their test benches.

The problem with faults like that is that they don't show many "it
works fine" type posts. Looking at my mates point of view almost all
Playstation 2 are defective or unreliable becuase he has heard that
some people say they are unreliable and some web sites offer a repair
service. [1]. The point thre is that a you can't trust everything you
read on the internet, espesh NG or forum type postings.

Look at many NGs and the Geforce 440mx is utterly sh!te. Yet it works
fine for me.

[1] Getting constant whining from a mate who wants to buy one but says
the are unreliable.

Old June 17th 04, 02:49 PM
Kevin Seal

In message , Bagpuss
writes
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:12:17 +0100, Kevin Seal
wrote:

In message , Bagpuss
writes
wrote:

[...]

Very true, had that recently at work when the power supply in a digital
effects unit was on its way out. One interface card worked, but an
apparently identical one didn't!

The problem with faults like that is that they don't show many "it
works fine" type posts. Looking at my mates point of view almost all
Playstation 2 are defective or unreliable becuase he has heard that
some people say they are unreliable and some web sites offer a repair
service. [1]. The point thre is that a you can't trust everything you
read on the internet, espesh NG or forum type postings.

looks to UKRM, nods head

But do they mean ****e in comparison or that it's unreliable?

[1] Getting constant whining from a mate who wants to buy one but says
the are unreliable.

I think there is a small grain of truth there though. Colleague at work
has repaired quite a few of them for his family. More so than you would
expect from normal statistical failures.

Old June 17th 04, 03:20 PM
Bagpuss

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:49:46 +0100, Kevin Seal
wrote:

snip

Yep ISWYM. I was thinking that its possibly a few are getting through
testing that are a bit borderline and don't work in situations outside
their test benches.

Very true, had that recently at work when the power supply in a digital
effects unit was on its way out. One interface card worked, but an
apparently identical one didn't!

The problem with faults like that is that they don't show many "it
works fine" type posts. Looking at my mates point of view almost all
Playstation 2 are defective or unreliable becuase he has heard that
some people say they are unreliable and some web sites offer a repair
service. [1]. The point thre is that a you can't trust everything you
read on the internet, espesh NG or forum type postings.

looks to UKRM, nods head

VGB They are actually one of the better groups (which is saying
alot) :-) Although I still think MZs are a heap of sh!te (used to have
one myself). I just got bored with the constant p!ssing contest and
"the clique that doesn't really exist".

Look at many NGs and the Geforce 440mx is utterly sh!te. Yet it works
fine for me.

But do they mean ****e in comparison or that it's unreliable?

Sh!te in comparison. Plenty of times I've seem people say they are
sh!te when they think the GeForce 2 Ultra is excellent. Performance
wise there is very little in it.

[1] Getting constant whining from a mate who wants to buy one but says
the are unreliable.

I think there is a small grain of truth there though. Colleague at work
has repaired quite a few of them for his family. More so than you would
expect from normal statistical failures.

Yep, I have heard of some problems myself (most noticablt the DVD
laser going out of spec), but I dont know of anyone who has actually
had a problem with one.

I did have to fix my neighbours Play Station when the kid spilt some
orange juice on it, but that was a blown diode in the PSU and that was
it.
Old June 17th 04, 07:57 PM
Tai Mai Choo

I have one of these shuttle babies and have had so since january. A gorgeous
bit of kit.

I experienced the blue screen of death on daily basis for about 3 weeks. did
google search, checked microsoft website etc, etc.

'Came along a simple solution. Turned the fan settings in the bios to Med
from Auto and it did the trick. Slightly noisier but hasn't crashed since.
It was initially on XP2500, just recently upgraded to XP3200.

I don't think the temp of the CPU that was crashing the pc as it was around
45c when it use to crash. Maybe temp of graphics card.

Anyway, good luck.

"S.Chang" wrote in message
S.Chang wrote:
JasonB wrote:

S.Chang wrote:

Hi All,

snip

This may be a shot in the dark, however you mention that the system
will reboot for no reason, sometimes in the middle of a calculation in
Mathematica.

I had this exact same problem with a Soltek QBIC system that I put
together, couldn't work out why it was rebooting intermittantly.

Eventually someone told me to check the Heatsink and make sure that it
was making contact with the CPU. I found that I'd inadvertantly put
the heatsink on the wrong way and that it was sitting at an angle on
the CPU hence the thermal protection kicked in whenever the CPU
reached 85c shutting the system down and rebooting.

Actually, the CPU in the Shuttle is running at 40~45C, so it's not so
bad considering it's an AMD, and there's only one way you can fit the
heatsink into the SK43G but thanks for the advice.

Regards
S.Chang

Crap...got the replacement back from Aria, but still crashing..
Bought another pair of 512M Kingston, didn't help and veyr little
resource on Google, am I the only one having this problem? come
on...some body?

S.Chang

Old June 17th 04, 09:21 PM
S.Chang

Tai Mai Choo wrote:
I have one of these shuttle babies and have had so since january. A gorgeous
bit of kit.

I experienced the blue screen of death on daily basis for about 3 weeks. did
google search, checked microsoft website etc, etc.

'Came along a simple solution. Turned the fan settings in the bios to Med
from Auto and it did the trick. Slightly noisier but hasn't crashed since.
It was initially on XP2500, just recently upgraded to XP3200.

I don't think the temp of the CPU that was crashing the pc as it was around
45c when it use to crash. Maybe temp of graphics card.

Anyway, good luck.

Which Shuttle are you using? they are lovely boxes but I won't buy them
until I am 100% sure it's a stable model I am buying, well, I got a
spare CPU and plenty of RAMs now, if you let me know which model you
bought, I might as well get another one as spare.
I had the fan on full speed but didn't help, anyway, swapped the CPU to
2400 and works fine now, even watching the CRO:FRA game on it.
S.Chang
Old June 17th 04, 09:28 PM
S.Chang

Kevin Seal wrote:

In message , S.Chang
writes

snip history of problem

Anyway, valuable lesson learned, never buy Special offers again.

Surely the other lesson learnt is to have a quick Google first. Then you
would have saved a lot of time and money!

Only if I know this particular model gives blue screen with 333FSB CPU
before I bought it...
I did searched for the reviews on Google before I bought it, but should
have searched for sk43g+"blue screen"
S.Chang
Old June 17th 04, 09:45 PM
Kevin Seal

In message , Bagpuss
writes
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:49:46 +0100, Kevin Seal
wrote:

snip

The point thre is that a you can't trust everything you
read on the internet, espesh NG or forum type postings.

looks to UKRM, nods head

VGB They are actually one of the better groups (which is saying
alot) :-) Although I still think MZs are a heap of sh!te (used to have
one myself). I just got bored with the constant p!ssing contest and
"the clique that doesn't really exist".

Of course, there *is* no clique!

snip
I did have to fix my neighbours Play Station when the kid spilt some
orange juice on it, but that was a blown diode in the PSU and that was
it.

That sounds very familiar. (The blown diode, not the juice) Probably a
poorly specced item running on it's limit.
--
Kevin Seal (at work)
Fazer600 in banana