AVG antvirus update trick

Old November 11th 04, 08:53 AM
Paul Haslam

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , ff
writes

Sometimes it's really beneficial to save posts that look as if they'll be
handy in the future! This one works a treat just now. Cheers ff if you're
still around. I am the last RHAnter and so's my wife.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.

You might be interested to know that there is a new version of the free
edition available from Grisoft and that they are stopping support for the
current one from the end of the year, see
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5 for more details.

For those on dialup a quick warning it is a 9.7MB download.

Paul

Old November 12th 04, 08:35 AM
Trev

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , ff
writes
This trick improved my life considerabley So I thought I would pass it
on. It may be a bit naughty, possibly, but it works well and means I
can now update much easier. (AVG 6 is the free virus checker from
grisoft.com).

Do as follows and then close avg and restart it again and you should
have a bunch of extra servers in the update menu. Several of them
don't work for me but the akamai one has worked perfectly. This solved
my problem of the grisoft.cz server being too overloaded for me to
update easily. You could of course always download updates manually
from their website.

Go to were avg is loaded, usually c:\program files\grisoft\avg6 and
open the file url.ini (you may want to back it up just in case).
Change the contents to as follows and then save the file and restart
avg.

[SERVER_NAME]
1=www.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com
4=akamai_grisoft

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
4=http://www.grisoft.com/akm/softw/60/xx/

Actual URL=4

Sometimes it's really beneficial to save posts that look as if they'll be
handy in the future! This one works a treat just now. Cheers ff if you're
still around. I am the last RHAnter and so's my wife.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Kaiser Wilhelm

Better still avg 7 is now free, as of this week. So you dont need any of
the above

Old November 13th 04, 11:41 PM
Jim Crowther

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:13:53, pete devlin wrote:

I am the last RHAnter and so's my wife.

Dangerous talk.

Those were the days...

I'm still a RHAnter on the other PC, but I haven't collected News with
that for **ages**.

Apologies folks for the OT cross-posting still here, but if it hadn't
been for that... (waves at Old Codger g).

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)

Always learning.