AVG antvirus update trick

Old April 20th 04, 02:22 PM
Dave K

Zebedee wrote:

Slowest antivirus I've ever encountered was Norton. I was so glad when my
sub ended.

I abandoned Norton this week when my subscription was due. The cost of
virus definition updates has escalated ridiculously over the last 3-4
years. It's not much more expensive for me to buy an upgrade to NAV 2004.

Now using AVG quite happily.

Dave K
--
"Apathy on the rise, no one cares."
Old April 20th 04, 03:16 PM
Zebedee

"Dave K" wrote in message
I abandoned Norton this week when my subscription was due. The cost of
virus definition updates has escalated ridiculously over the last 3-4
years. It's not much more expensive for me to buy an upgrade to NAV 2004.

I used an Australian AV product - can't remember the company now. Then I
used Norton (pile of poo) before coming to AVG (after about a year without
bothering with AV products).

Basically, since emails are pretty well the sole source of viruses, it pays
to delete all .exe, .scr and .pif files from untrusted sources. Pretty much
teh same for websites a bit of brain and turning off Java works wonders.

I only use AVG so I don't have to use my brain :P

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old April 20th 04, 06:02 PM
pete devlin

In message , Dr Teeth
writes
It produced a noticeable slowdown here. Also, it is the only anti-virus
software that I have had to disable to run any defragger due to the
**massive** slowdown caused.

Got a refund.

I take it that by "it" you mean AVG?
--
Pete Devlin
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Old April 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Dr Teeth

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:02:18 +0100, pete devlin
wrote:

I take it that by "it" you mean AVG?

My posting was from a part of the thread where Kapersky AV was being
discussed.

So that is what 'it' is, simple g.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!
Old April 21st 04, 12:37 AM
pete devlin

In message , Dr Teeth
writes
My posting was from a part of the thread where Kapersky AV was being
discussed.

I hate to be pedantic but you replied to my post where I was discussing
AVG AND Kaspersky, hence the confusion.

So that is what 'it' is, simple g.

Erm, no it wasn't. But now we've cleared that little misunderstanding up
- my commiserations. Didn't happen for me. If you think your AV is
better than mine, that's fine, as long as you accept that my Dad is
bigger than yours and your computer smells of poo.

Old April 21st 04, 12:42 AM
Lordy

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:16:16 +0100, Zebedee wrote:

asically, since emails are pretty well the sole source of viruses, it pays
to delete all .exe, .scr and .pif files from untrusted sources. Pretty much
teh same for websites a bit of brain and turning off Java works wonders.

Do you mean Javascript?

Java is generally well behaved (albeit slow).

Lordy
Old November 10th 04, 01:13 AM
pete devlin

In message , ff
writes
This trick improved my life considerabley So I thought I would pass it
on. It may be a bit naughty, possibly, but it works well and means I
can now update much easier. (AVG 6 is the free virus checker from
grisoft.com).

Do as follows and then close avg and restart it again and you should
have a bunch of extra servers in the update menu. Several of them
don't work for me but the akamai one has worked perfectly. This solved
my problem of the grisoft.cz server being too overloaded for me to
update easily. You could of course always download updates manually
from their website.

Go to were avg is loaded, usually c:\program files\grisoft\avg6 and
open the file url.ini (you may want to back it up just in case).
Change the contents to as follows and then save the file and restart
avg.

[SERVER_NAME]
1=www.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com
4=akamai_grisoft

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
4=http://www.grisoft.com/akm/softw/60/xx/

Actual URL=4

Sometimes it's really beneficial to save posts that look as if they'll
be handy in the future! This one works a treat just now. Cheers ff if
you're still around. I am the last RHAnter and so's my wife.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old November 10th 04, 11:52 AM
Lordy

pete devlin wrote in
:

Sometimes it's really beneficial to save posts that look as if they'll
be handy in the future!

http://groups.google.com/groups?
q=avg+extra+servers&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Old November 10th 04, 03:50 PM
Old Codger

pete devlin wrote:

I am the last RHAnter and so's my wife.

Oh no you're not.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old November 11th 04, 12:24 AM
pete devlin

In message , Lordy
writes
pete devlin wrote in
:

Sometimes it's really beneficial to save posts that look as if they'll
be handy in the future!

http://groups.google.com/groups?
q=avg+extra+servers&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Aw! I should have known that someone would pour scorn on my self praise
for being brave enough to press the "Keep" button all those months ago.
I keep quite a few posts locally, just in case I ever need them. The
trouble with google is that you rely on people spelling correctly and
using correct terminology in the first place. It can be a pain in the
arse wading through hundreds of meaningless posts to get to the one you
need too. And then there's the x-no archive-yes malarky too; my "keep"
button isn't put off by that ;o)
Apologies too to the members of ucv and aipu - I didn't realise the
original was x threaded. My post was aimed at aiprha, which, amazingly,
still gets the odd post every now and then.