Aria - very poor service

Old April 17th 04, 09:18 PM
Paul Hopwood

Parish wrote:

You would need to speak to a CC company for a definitive answer but I'm
sure that there is some issue about sending (mail/online order) goods to
an address other than the card billing address and that the trader is
entitled to ask for proof that you are indeed the cardholder. Maybe many
traders just work on trust but it would be a doddle to find someones CC
details and place an online order using the address of an empty house
for delivery (just hang around there when the goods are delivered).

Credit card companies only offer protection for fraudulent
transactions if the goods are send to the billing or a verified
address. Many online companies therefore won't send to an alternative
address, at least for the first order. So, yes, it's prudent not to
send to an alternative address without some verification, even if it's
simply some kind of prior relationship such as a history of previous
deliveries going with a hitch.

However no vendor is *entitled* to personal information; I have no
desire to share the contents of my bank statement, credit card bill or
any other bill for that matter with anyone except the organisation
with which I have the arrangement.

One alternative is for the cardholder to register the alternative
address with the credit card company prior to making the order. This
way suppliers can verified the address with them *without* having to
request documentary proof from the customer.

If Aria are asking customers to provide bank statements I see no
reason for customers not to ask the same of them. After all, any
trading relationship is based on a degree of trust. Why should the OP
trust Aria to supply goods or a satisfactory level of service after
parting with his money? In fact postings in this group would suggest
not to. Asking for personal details of this nature is the highest
level of arrogance imho; unless they're prepared to reciprocate with
similar details to customers who have their own doubts about the
company. It says to me "we can't possibly trust you and want you to
share your personal details to prove you're worthy , but we're ARIA,
we're beyond reproach!".

It's similar to shops who hold up bank notes to the light to verify
they're real in view of every other customers. I do likewise with the
change! Trust, or the lack of it, works both ways!

--
iv Paul iv

Old April 17th 04, 09:47 PM
Parish

Paul Hopwood wrote:

Parish wrote:

You would need to speak to a CC company for a definitive answer but I'm
sure that there is some issue about sending (mail/online order) goods to
an address other than the card billing address and that the trader is
entitled to ask for proof that you are indeed the cardholder. Maybe many
traders just work on trust but it would be a doddle to find someones CC
details and place an online order using the address of an empty house
for delivery (just hang around there when the goods are delivered).

Credit card companies only offer protection for fraudulent
transactions if the goods are send to the billing or a verified
address. Many online companies therefore won't send to an alternative
address, at least for the first order. So, yes, it's prudent not to

Fair enough, I haven't read the T&Cs for my CC in detail but I remember
when online shopping first took off most (all?) CC companies quickly
added a clause that you weren't covered for fraud online. Of course, as
soon as one offered cover they all did.

send to an alternative address without some verification, even if it's
simply some kind of prior relationship such as a history of previous
deliveries going with a hitch.

However no vendor is *entitled* to personal information; I have no
desire to share the contents of my bank statement, credit card bill or
any other bill for that matter with anyone except the organisation
with which I have the arrangement.

I would agree about bank or CC statements, although a recent utility
bill is usually acceptable when organizations want proof of address and
I don't mind showing my leccy or gas bill. Of course they are doing it
for your protection as much as, if not more than, theirs.

One alternative is for the cardholder to register the alternative
address with the credit card company prior to making the order. This
way suppliers can verified the address with them *without* having to
request documentary proof from the customer.

Can you do that? It certainly sounds like a good, secure solution?

[...]

Hehe, someone else who does that; winds them up, doesn't it?

Parish
Old April 18th 04, 12:55 AM
Steve

"Parish" wrote in message
Paul Hopwood wrote:

Parish wrote:

[...]

The bank statement is only one of several suggested proofs of residence and
identity for new customers, and those requesting delivery to a non
registered address.
The others are passport, driving licence, utility bill, or similar. The info
required is a document from an official body or utility company on formal
stationary with both name and address of the customer clearly visible. The
contents of the document, ie the account transactions, are of no interest,
and may be blanked out.

The reason for this inconvienience ... cos not everybody is honest, and to
presume otherwise is nieve. Ripping off computer parts is a big business for
some people, and there are several attempts every day, so some precautions
have to be taken. It would make life a lot easier for us all if all theiving
b******s would type THIS IS A RIP OFF on their orders, but unfortunately
nobody has yet.

Shame not everybodys honest.

--
Steve Fitch

Old April 18th 04, 02:31 AM
Paul Hopwood

Parish wrote:

One alternative is for the cardholder to register the alternative
address with the credit card company prior to making the order. This
way suppliers can verified the address with them *without* having to
request documentary proof from the customer.

Can you do that? It certainly sounds like a good, secure solution?

You certainly can. A few companies (Insight I recall being one) even
insist upon it for deliveries to alternative addresses. I've never
had cause to do it as I've only ever placed orders with companies who
don't require it but it certainly seems a good way forward and will
probably become more common as companies increasingly rely on the
Address Verification Service (AVS) to reduce fraud.

It's similar to shops who hold up bank notes to the light to verify
they're real in view of every other customers. I do likewise with the
change! Trust, or the lack of it, works both ways!

Hehe, someone else who does that; winds them up, doesn't it?

Indeed. I still get icy looks every time I walk into my local chippy
but they *have* stopped scrutinising my bank notes.

--
iv Paul iv

Old April 18th 04, 02:39 AM
Paul Hopwood

"Steve" wrote:

[...]

I'm certainly not naive and I *do* understand why companies do it but
my point is most are arrogant enough to think this mistrust isn't or
should not be two-way.

One of the most prevalent forms of fraud is identity theft; stealing
sufficient methods of ID from an individual that you can masquerade as
them in order to commit a fraud.

When a supplier asks for ID why should you trust *them* with it any
more than they should trust you not to rip the off?

If any company is going to ask for anything other than information
that is absolutely required for the purpose of processing the order
you should be as suspicious of them as they are of you. Ever tried
asking a company for a copy of their latest accounts, certificate of
incorporation or *their* most recent bank statement when asked for ID?
Oddly enough they don't tend to be very accommodating.

--
iv Paul iv

Old April 19th 04, 09:44 AM
whiteangeukus

HI

I would cancel if i were you, as they are helpfull till something
breaks, and needs to be returned than its a whole driffrent kettle of
fish.
You be wiser to get items from else where if you read the forums you
will see there are qite a few pepole not to keen on the service they
offer.

Latest open all your package on doorstop before you sign as if any are
damaged than tough if you didnt sign for them as damaged.

I was advised this is what Aria Customer servies do
Old April 19th 04, 02:30 PM
GwG

"whiteangeukus" wrote in message
om...
HI

I would cancel if i were you, as they are helpfull till something
breaks, and needs to be returned than its a whole driffrent kettle

of
fish.
You be wiser to get items from else where if you read the forums you
will see there are qite a few pepole not to keen on the service they
offer.

Latest open all your package on doorstop before you sign as if any

are
damaged than tough if you didnt sign for them as damaged.

When ordering from Ebuyer, the site suggests writing "Unchecked" at
the side of your signature if you do not check the parcel upon
delivery, which I now do for all deliveries. They assume that if you
do not mark a delivery as "Unchecked", the item has been checked, and
therefore they will not accept responsibility for damaged goods.

Couriers should not be expected to wait, whilst someone examines and
tests each item delivered, before signing for it as OK, this would
force the cost of deliveries up, as the couriers would only be able to
deliver half their workload because of this.

Old April 19th 04, 11:49 PM
Lordy

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:31:59 +0100, Tx2 wrote:

occasionally some guy from Aria would pop in here and help a customer
or two out

And even that doesn't seem to occur these days.

I'm still gonna use them for basic stuff like cables, cases et al ...
but for the 'good' stuff like motherboards, hard drives etc, they can go
whistle. They have really gone down the pan

Ebuyer would usually be cheaper

Lordy
Old April 21st 04, 01:27 PM
GB

"Parish" wrote in message

It's similar to shops who hold up bank notes to the light to verify
they're real in view of every other customers. I do likewise with the
change! Trust, or the lack of it, works both ways!

Don't you look a right prat if it's only coins?