OT sending a faulty CPU back to intel

Old December 28th 03, 11:57 PM
Hardeep Rakhra

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:08:11 UTC, "Aosmosis" wrote:

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni has
just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU. These
machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor. A Duron 1.6ghz
would have given better performance at a cheaper price. Just goes to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public. Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

Your Uni probably has Viglen kit all over the place, and probably has
support contracts with them and on-site viglen engineers. When
something goes tits up, they get the blame. My uni did, viglen kit
everywhere, and on-site viglen guys. And viglen do supply alot of kit
to higher/further education and probably do it at "acceptable price".

Honestly those 500 computers may as well be 500 typewriters for what the
average student will use them for, so performance isn't a issue most of
the time for most students. The only issue is 'do they work' and if
they don't 'who fixes them'.

The students that actually 'need' performance system probably have then
in their departments. If you want to use a fast machine find a lab that
belongs to the Computing department. :O)

Hardeep.

Old December 29th 03, 12:07 AM
Paul Hopwood

"Aosmosis" wrote:

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni has
just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU. These
machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor. A Duron 1.6ghz
would have given better performance at a cheaper price.

Depends entirely on what they're doing. In the environment they're
being used in I really doubt there's much in it, except perhaps the
Intel machines won't sound like jet turbines (can't really much worse
than trying to actually learn anything in a building with 500 AMD
PCs!), run cooler and are generally more reliable (not a fault of the
AMD chip, but generally poorer build).

Just goes to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public.

You have a copy of the invoice and competitive quotes?

Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

More than you I'd wager. Volume discounts on this kind of quantity
should mean he paid a lot less than you or I would get on a "one off"
purchase and his TCO will be lower than some shoddy heap of crap
thrown together from using cheap components.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 29th 03, 12:21 AM
Alex Harrington

Depends entirely what he paid....as long as they are adequate for
teaching.

We're buying AMD base units (2.6GHz 256DDR 40GB HDD Gigabyte mainboard) for
under £200 built at the school I work for.

I doubt you'll get a new Celeron system with similar performance for that
kind of money.

Alex

Old December 29th 03, 12:37 AM
Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:57:35 UTC, Hardeep Rakhra
wrote:

Your Uni probably has Viglen kit all over the place, and probably has

Used to. Not any more. Dell, mainly.

Honestly those 500 computers may as well be 500 typewriters for what the
average student will use them for, so performance isn't a issue most of
the time for most students. The only issue is 'do they work' and if
they don't 'who fixes them'.

Exactly.

The students that actually 'need' performance system probably have then
in their departments. If you want to use a fast machine find a lab that
belongs to the Computing department. :O)

Easy enough. I teach in the Computing department! They give me a nice
fast Win2000 (soon to be XP) machine. I hardly ever use it, doing all te
real work on a PII/266....! (not Windows, of course)

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old December 29th 03, 12:37 AM
Bob Eager

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:21:05 UTC, "Alex Harrington"
wrote:

Depends entirely what he paid....as long as they are adequate for
teaching.

We're buying AMD base units (2.6GHz 256DDR 40GB HDD Gigabyte mainboard) for
under £200 built at the school I work for.

I doubt you'll get a new Celeron system with similar performance for that
kind of money.

My point was that the performance is rarely needed.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Old December 29th 03, 02:30 AM
Reckless

Is it a boxed (retail) CPU and do you have the original packaging? If the
answer to either is no then you're probably out of luck.

Somehow doesn't seem right that you would want to make a few more £'s at
Intel's expense...

"Aosmosis" wrote in message
I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a clearance.

have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after their customers and
normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

Old December 29th 03, 03:57 AM
Max Longman

"Aosmosis" wrote in message

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni has
just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU. These
machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor. A Duron 1.6ghz
would have given better performance at a cheaper price. Just goes to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public. Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

A Duron 1.6Ghz would smoke a 2.6Ghz Celeron, you mean a 1Ghz Duron surely.

Old December 29th 03, 10:56 AM
Toby Groves

In article , Jay jay@furnes
sremovethisvale.com writes
Personally would never supply AMD over Intel - simply on grounds of
reliabity.

I've known 2 Intels fail - one lightning strike, one poor psu/slot
cpu cooling design in a case . I've known a dozen AMDs fail for no
obvious reason.

Fail in what way? I've never had a motherboard or CPU fail on me, ever.
--
Toby
Old December 29th 03, 10:56 AM
Toby Groves

In article , Alex Harrington
writes
Depends entirely what he paid....as long as they are adequate for
teaching.

We're buying AMD base units (2.6GHz 256DDR 40GB HDD Gigabyte mainboard) for
under £200 built at the school I work for.

I doubt you'll get a new Celeron system with similar performance for that
kind of money.

That'll be XP2600 CPUs, not 2.6Ghz ones.
--
Toby
Old December 29th 03, 05:16 PM
Tony Sutton

"Hardeep Rakhra" wrote in message

Your Uni probably has Viglen kit all over the place, and probably has
support contracts with them and on-site viglen engineers. When
something goes tits up, they get the blame. My uni did, viglen kit
everywhere, and on-site viglen guys. And viglen do supply alot of kit
to higher/further education and probably do it at "acceptable price".

Same with UEA. It looks ugly!

However it's now being replaced with a black Dell, which are far better than
the Viglen!

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!