OT sending a faulty CPU back to intel

Old December 28th 03, 03:59 PM
Aosmosis

Default OT sending a faulty CPU back to intel

I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a clearance. I
have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after their customers and
normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

Old December 28th 03, 05:07 PM
Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:59:38 UTC, "Aosmosis" wrote:

I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a clearance. I
have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after their customers and
normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

I had experience of changing twe faulty P60s with the infamous FPU bug
(not that long ago, a couple of years). Yes, it might not have seemed
worth it at that stage but they were for vintage machines.

I phoned them, and they sent a new CPU by courier after taking credit
card details. I then had 30 days to change over the CPU and get the
courier to collect the old one (at their expense). Failure to do so
would have resulted in a hefty charge on my credit card.

It all went very smoothly and quickly. The did screw up the paper work
and say they had no trace of the returned CPU, but they contacted me
rather than just charging me. I phoned them and it was all sorted
out...they did it again and then I heard no more.

--
Bob Eager

Old December 28th 03, 06:22 PM
Snowdon Computers

"Aosmosis" wrote in message
I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a clearance.

have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after their customers and
normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

Hmm does this mean I can send back any 'lightning zapped' Intel CPUs I get
from my insurance write off clearances? )
--

Best Regards
Niel Humphreys

Old December 28th 03, 06:42 PM
Dr Zoidberg

Snowdon Computers wrote:
"Aosmosis" wrote in message
I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a
clearance. I have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after
their customers and normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

Hmm does this mean I can send back any 'lightning zapped' Intel CPUs
I get from my insurance write off clearances? )

Sure , just remember to start endless threads on the subject and whinge like
hell if they don't play ball.
--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old December 28th 03, 06:46 PM
Snowdon Computers

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Snowdon Computers wrote:
"Aosmosis" wrote in message
I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a
clearance. I have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after
their customers and normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

Hmm does this mean I can send back any 'lightning zapped' Intel CPUs
I get from my insurance write off clearances? )

Sure , just remember to start endless threads on the subject and whinge

like
hell if they don't play ball.
--

Shall I change my name to 'Niel Le Humphreys' too?

--

Best Regards
Niel Humphreys

Old December 28th 03, 08:08 PM
Aosmosis

I have a faulty P III 1Ghz CPU that I have aquired as part of a
clearance. I have heard that Intel unlike AMD do try and look after
their customers and normally replace CPUs.

Does anyone have any expereince of this?

Hmm does this mean I can send back any 'lightning zapped' Intel CPUs
I get from my insurance write off clearances? )

Sure , just remember to start endless threads on the subject and whinge

like
hell if they don't play ball.
--

Shall I change my name to 'Niel Le Humphreys' too?

--

Best Regards
Niel Humphreys
Snowdon Computers Ltd

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni has
just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU. These
machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor. A Duron 1.6ghz
would have given better performance at a cheaper price. Just goes to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public. Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

Old December 28th 03, 08:15 PM
Guy Fawkes

Aosmosis wrote:

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni
has just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU.
These machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor.

how many cpu dies have you designed to form that expert opinion?

A Duron
1.6ghz would have given better performance at a cheaper price.

not necessarily

Just goes
to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public. Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

more than you apparently, the inel cpu's have on chip thermal management,
use very little power, are unbreakable and most importantly of all when
buying 500 boxes the intel option is FAR FAR FAR bloody quieter.

--
Liquid Cooled PC? -- http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/

E-mail (rot-13) qnirahyy NG oyhrlbaqre QBG pb QBG hx
Cable server http://80.235.132.38:800/
EoF

Old December 28th 03, 09:34 PM
Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:08:11 UTC, "Aosmosis" wrote:

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni has
just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU. These
machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor. A Duron 1.6ghz
would have given better performance at a cheaper price. Just goes to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public. Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

Depends entirely what he paid....as long as they are adequate for
teaching.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Old December 28th 03, 09:50 PM
Jay

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:08:11 -0000, "Aosmosis" wrote:

LOL, I guess I'm not really an Intel fan. Im pretty annoyed that my uni has
just purchased 500 Viglen machines based on a celeron 1.8Ghz CPU. These
machines are really poor because of the Celeron processor. A Duron 1.6ghz
would have given better performance at a cheaper price. Just goes to show
how Intel can sell an overpriced inferior product to unsuspecting members
of the public. Also demonstrates how much knowledge our head of IT
possesses!

Personally would never supply AMD over Intel - simply on grounds of
reliabity.

I've known 2 Intels fail - one lightning strike, one poor psu/slot
cpu cooling design in a case . I've known a dozen AMDs fail for no
obvious reason.

Obviously not good statistics, but if I have to guarantee it I'd
rather supply marginally slower for a price, or charge marginally more
for a spec.

jay