PC World delivery, who and how long

Old December 28th 03, 01:19 PM
Colin Wilson

Kingfisher owns Comet. The Dixon Group is independent.

From previous experience they might as well be the same place.

Old December 28th 03, 02:34 PM
Trev

"CB" wrote in message
oops! My mistake;-) Still say the monopoly commission has done a bad

job
concerning Dixon Plc's policy of grabbing other firms under their

umbrella
in the UK and having a monopoly.

They only one they have bought was Curry's. And that was failing at the
time.
There are hundreds of chain stores and supermart's selling the same
goods. There is no monopoly of the market only the complaints

Old December 28th 03, 04:57 PM
none none

"Trev" wrote in message

"CB" wrote in message
oops! My mistake;-) Still say the monopoly commission has done a bad

job
concerning Dixon Plc's policy of grabbing other firms under their

umbrella
in the UK and having a monopoly.

They only one they have bought was Curry's.

....and PC World (and probably others as well).

Old December 28th 03, 05:01 PM
Paul Hopwood

Colin Wilson wrote:

Just ordered a £165 camera from them any one know which courier they use and
when its likely to arrive.

They haven't a clue what they are doing.

Someone bought me a digicam (another one...) for xmas from Currys and
bought the extra memory recommended by the sales muppet...

SD doesn`t fit into an XD slot, but hey, who cares about minor details...

HelllllooooooOOOooooo tap tap anybody home ?

Very interesting, but what has this got to do with PC World and their
choice of courier?!?!?

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 28th 03, 05:10 PM
Paul Hopwood

Dom Robinson wrote:

PC World = Curry = Dixons = The Link.

There's scores of comments out there if people look as to how bad the Dixons
Stores Group are. Why the hell do people still shop there?!

I suspect most people use them because they still prefer to shop in
the high street and DRG are the dominant player for electrical goods.
Unfortunately most people see the big, bright, recognised sign above
the door and assume they're trustworthy.

The rest of us use them to window shop for stuff they buy cheaper
online when they get home. ;-)

That said, PC World does occasionally have the odd bargain and a level
of convenience that online shopping can't compete with.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 28th 03, 05:46 PM
Trev

"none none" wrote in message

"Trev" wrote in message

"CB" wrote in message
oops! My mistake;-) Still say the monopoly commission has done a

bad
job
concerning Dixon Plc's policy of grabbing other firms under their

umbrella
in the UK and having a monopoly.

They only one they have bought was Curry's.

...and PC World (and probably others as well).

No Pc world was formed by them as was the link.

Old December 28th 03, 06:39 PM
Paul Hopwood

"CB" wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:
||| PC World = Curry = Dixons = The Link.
||| There's scores of comments out there if people look as to how bad
||| the Dixons Stores Group are. Why the hell do people still shop
||| there?!
|| Perhaps because there aren`t any other major players on the high
|| street :-(

That's why the "Kingfisher group" owns them and more?

PC World, Curry, Dixons and The Link are all owned by Dixons Group
plc.

Whats more, Kingfisher plc divested it's electrical retail operations
(Comet in the UK) when it de-merged "non-core" businesses as Kesa
Electricals plc last summer.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 28th 03, 07:12 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Trev" wrote:

oops! My mistake;-) Still say the monopoly commission has done a bad

job
concerning Dixon Plc's policy of grabbing other firms under their

umbrella
in the UK and having a monopoly.

They only one they have bought was Curry's. And that was failing at the
time.

Not true. Dixons have acquired most of the groups main members;
Currys, Mastercare and PC World. Dixons itself grew by buying and
absorbing a number of smaller retail companies.

Even in recent years the company has grown through purchase of smaller
companies and absorbing them with existing operations. Such as the PC
World Business and PC World Direct arms of PC World which were formed
from their purchase of DNCS and, more recently, their acquisition of
Genesis Communications and Convergent Telecom which are almost certain
to merge with The Link.

There are hundreds of chain stores and supermart's selling the same
goods. There is no monopoly of the market only the complaints

Absolutely. Dixons Group plc are the leading retail group for
consumer electronics in the UK but by no means a monopoly. Even here
in humble Derby I can think of several large national or regional
outlets they don't own.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 28th 03, 07:55 PM
CB

Paul Hopwood wrote:
"Trev" wrote:

[...]

To be referred to the monopoly commission you only need to have up to 25% of
the market not nearly 100%. Dixons were referred in 1990 and was
disqualified from merging with Kingfisher by th MCom!

Old December 29th 03, 12:09 AM
Paul Hopwood

"CB" wrote:

There are hundreds of chain stores and supermart's selling the same
goods. There is no monopoly of the market only the complaints

Absolutely. Dixons Group plc are the leading retail group for
consumer electronics in the UK but by no means a monopoly. Even here
in humble Derby I can think of several large national or regional
outlets they don't own.

To be referred to the monopoly commission you only need to have up to 25% of
the market not nearly 100%. Dixons were referred in 1990 and was
disqualified from merging with Kingfisher by th MCom!

Still doesn't make them a monopoly though, does it? ;-)

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW: