FX 5800 Ultra

Old January 22nd 04, 12:29 AM
DaveW

I don't believe that the 5800 is DX9 capable, but I'm not positive.

--
DaveW

"Nick" wrote in message
Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

Old January 22nd 04, 01:20 AM
Nick Le Lievre

"DaveW" wrote in message
I don't believe that the 5800 is DX9 capable, but I'm not positive.

--
DaveW

Of course it is

Old January 22nd 04, 01:36 AM
Nick

"Nick" wrote in message
"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
"Nick" wrote in message

Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

You play flight sims, well then you get "real life air sucking" sound,
free with your card.

Easy said, the card makes a bitchy amount of sound, sometimes getting
close into the 60db... and that doesn't games fine....

The Delta 7000rpm CPU fan makes a lot of noise too but Im kinda used to it
now hardly notice it - I might be going deaf however. The FX5800 Ultra

seems
to edge out the FX5900 stock & FX5900XT stock in non AA / AF performance

but
is only equal to FX5900XT with AA / AF on the FX5900 is slightly ahead.

So the FX 5800 Ultra stock is about even with FX 5900 but you can

overclock
those quite a bit then it etches ahead I wonder if I will be able to push
the FX5800 over 500/1000 to make the noise worthwhile.

Actually looking at the benchmarks again all 3 are very close in the AA/AF
stakes but the FX5800U has a clear advantage in non AA/AF situations of
course once your overclock the FX5900 its right up there and over but I
wonder how much the 5800Ultra will overclock? The ASUS version has the
heatpipe system.

Old January 22nd 04, 08:37 AM
v56k

Nick wrote:

Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

I have a FX5800Ultra and got it cheap also on eBay - I am VERY happy with
it, yes it does make a fair amount of noise in 3d mode but I solve this
with careful placement of the PC Box and most of my games are noisy (First
Person Shooters) so the game noise easily drowns and GPU fan - in normal
desktop use its fine though.

My reasons for choosing this over a ATI? - Well I have a Rad7500 in my No.2
PC and have got inmcreasingly fed up with the driver install procedure -
with my GeF I just download the latest Det and hit install and reboot -
finished.
Old January 22nd 04, 09:20 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:23:05 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

1 - its huge
2 - its LOUD
3 - Its OLD
4 - Its not New
5 - Why?
6 - Its Slower than the 9700Pro (slightly)
7 - You can buy a 9800 for the same price, 9800Pro for a few bucks
more.
8 - You could buy a NEW 5900-XT for $175~190 that's FASTER
9 - You could buy a NEw 5900(non XT/non Ultra) for about $200 thats
faster.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html

So what's the "great" deal? LOUD FANS SUCK.

If I was given one, I'd sell it for $100.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 22nd 04, 09:23 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:30:35 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

"Courseyauto" wrote in message
For $20 more you can get a Gainward FX 5900 model ultra 1200from new

egg
thats better than the 5800,it will clock to FX ULTRA 5900 speed easily.

DOUG

I`m not bothered about the noise factor I run a Delta 7000rpm fan on my
overclocked CPU. Benchmarks for the 5800 Ultra look pretty good to me - it
tops the FX5900 standard and FX5900XT see
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html &
http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/o.../index.html#p5 I am running out
of slots though.

The Gainward FX 5900 ultra 1200 tops both the std FX and the XT by a

good
ways,it also has the fastest memory of the three cards. DOUG

Truth is I can`t get the Gainward FX5900 Ultra card you mention for $ 228
delivered the Asus V9900 Ultra TD FX5800 Ultra I mention has a meaty
overclockers heatsink/fan and should overclock a little to get nearer to the
FX5900 Ultra.

Or get an ATI9800 Pro and don't over clock it.

The 5800 is already overheating.

Old January 22nd 04, 09:24 AM
Darthy

That's because youre a dumb ****.

Stick your thumb in your ass and shut up with your bull****.

Old January 22nd 04, 09:27 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:36:00 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message

a stock is about even with FX 5900 but you can
overclock
those quite a bit then it etches ahead I wonder if I will be able to push
the FX5800 over 500/1000 to make the noise worthwhile.

Actually looking at the benchmarks again all 3 are very close in the AA/AF
stakes but the FX5800U has a clear advantage in non AA/AF situations of
course once your overclock the FX5900 its right up there and over but I
wonder how much the 5800Ultra will overclock? The ASUS version has the
heatpipe system.

fine... dude... by bother asking about our opinions on this ****
card?!

Jesus Christ! Buy the ****ing card, do with it what you want. Your
mind is already made up. If the heat pipe works out fine... let us
know how RAD it is later.

Old January 22nd 04, 09:29 AM
Nick

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:23:05 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

Just seen what looks like a great deal on an FX5800 Ultra about $ 208
delivered checked it out on Tomshardware lands around the 9700 Pro
performance.

Any reasons not to go for this card ?

1 - its huge (when has that been a problem?)
2 - its LOUD (PCs were meant to be load)
3 - Its OLD (So is 9700 Pro but it still performs well)
4 - Its not New (As above)
5 - Why? (Why not)
6 - Its Slower than the 9700Pro (slightly) (so are FX5900 & FX5900XT)
7 - You can buy a 9800 for the same price, 9800Pro for a few bucks (9800

is about same as 9700 Pro - 9800 for $ 208 must be a 9800SE mod)
more.
8 - You could buy a NEW 5900-XT for $175~190 that's FASTER (Actually no

the FX5800 Ultra is faster slightly)
9 - You could buy a NEw 5900(non XT/non Ultra) for about $200 thats (Again

only if you overclock it)
faster.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html

See where the FX5800 Ultra is - always above the FX5900 & FX5900XT except in
the image quality where it is better in UT slightly lower then FX5900 in COD
and about same in Nascar but they`re not much difference in all 3.

So what's the "great" deal? LOUD FANS SUCK.

Loud Fans cool better = overclock.

If I was given one, I'd sell it for $100.

I`d buy that in a sec.

Old January 22nd 04, 01:52 PM
Ed Medlin

Truth is I can`t get the Gainward FX5900 Ultra card you mention for $ 228
delivered the Asus V9900 Ultra TD FX5800 Ultra I mention has a meaty
overclockers heatsink/fan and should overclock a little to get nearer to

the
FX5900 Ultra.

The 5800 is a hot running card, hence the high-rpm fan etc. It does not, in
general OC really well. There are other factors with the 5900 GPU that make
it more efficient also. The non-ultra 5900 would be a better choice overall.
It is a much better card to overclock also. That meaty HS/Fan on the 5800 is
there for a good reason.......:-)

Ed

---