OPTORITE + HD-BURN on Nero ... crash?

Old October 8th 03, 05:21 AM
mom

Default OPTORITE + HD-BURN on Nero ... crash?

I understand that HD-BURN is rather picky about what media it uses,
but all the messages I've read from people with problems say that the
issues are manifested in power calibration errors, and the like.

My particular situation with the latest Nero and the latest firmware
for the Optorite DD0203 is that I make the compilation, and when I go
to burn it, Nero indicates that it is caching the files, and when the
meter reads 100%, it merely freeze and the hard drive light never goes
off. I can't terminate the process from task manager, and when I try
to reboot, the machine hangs until I manually reset. Any insight?

Do I just need to find compatible media, get over it and burn DVDs
instead, or is there a hardware/software problem that might be easily
remedied?

I don't frequent newsgroups, reply via email is better, remove
NOSPAM.. Thanks in advance for any help

-La2

Old October 10th 03, 09:11 PM
mom

I jusat recently purchased a DVD burner by OPTORITE (0203). I trust
the brand based on my research, but I have a problem that I am sure is
repairable, if someone has insight ....

I installed it to a system (Athlon 1500+, 512MB ram with 120JB + 40Gig
+ Toshiba DVD + Optorite 0203 on HPT ATA100 bus). I burned the test
DVD+r without error, except that the buffer overran about 50 times,
causing the DVD to take 45 mins to burn when Nero assumed 15 mins @
4x.

I read newsgroups that suggested to cahnge to DMA mode, but the bus
would not allow me to from the post utility (devices did not post) not
fro the GUI.

I the changed the device to the native VIA IDE bus.

I tr4ied burning in both PIO and DMA modes. In DMA, a CD would burn
perfectly, but a DVD or and HD-Burn would freeze the software and it
could not be force quit.

I then changed the drive to PIO mode.

It the wouild burn a CD, DVD, or HD-BURN .. except that the drive
buffer would fill, burn to disc, then empty, and buffer underrun
protection would kick in, then it would fill, write, etc, over and
over... just like before.

so now I have much media for both HD-Burn and DVD+r. I have a burner
that will not burn. I have upgraded all my software, the latest Nero
and all the latest hardware patches (4 in 1, BOIS, firmware, etc).
I'm not sure what other info would be relevant... and the issue once
again is that:

I can't burn in PIO because it only burns CDr but will freeze on DVD
or other operations.

I can't burn DMA because although it will burn anything, it soes so
with constant buffer underruns.

I know my system is underpowered compared to modern ones. I need to
burn in DMA to make it fast enough, Does anyone know of any
performance issues with the OPTORITE 0203 that could be affecting its
performance on my system, or a solution to my Problem?

To respond via email, emove the NOSPAM from my address; otherwise,
I'll make a point to read the group and keep up. Thanks!

- Shane

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:28:38 +0100, "Jibby"
wrote:

what are your system specs all of them and which ide conection are you using
.. .

Old October 10th 03, 10:52 PM
callsignviper

"mom" wrote in message

I installed it to a system (Athlon 1500+, 512MB ram with 120JB + 40Gig
+ Toshiba DVD + Optorite 0203 on HPT ATA100 bus). I burned the test
DVD+r without error, except that the buffer overran about 50 times,
causing the DVD to take 45 mins to burn when Nero assumed 15 mins @
4x.

"Optorite 0203 on HPT ATA100 bus"??????

Isn't "HPT" a HighPoint controller? If so move the Optorite to IDE1 or IDE2
on your motherboard and enable DMA.

Preferred setup:

IDE1 (motherboard): HDs
IDE2 (motherboard): Optical drives (CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, CDRW, DVDRW)

HPT: Nothing but hard drives

My setup:

IDE1 (motherboard) Master: Boot HD (DMA Enabled)
IDE1 (motherboard) Slave: Data HD (DMA Enabled)

IDE2 (motherboard) Master: Optorite DD023 (DMA Enabled)
IDE2 (motherboard) Slave: LiteOn 52x CDRW (DMA Enabled)

Promise PCI ATA133 Controller Card: Nothing but hard drives

My Optorite works great in the above configuration.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old October 11th 03, 06:15 PM
mom

Thanks for your response. Yesterday (before I read your post) I
arrived at the same logical conclusion about drive placement, and it
will not be my rule for system building. However, the problem was
still not solved after arranging the drive.

However, I did get it to work! I'll share the simple solution with
you so that others in my spot can get their stuff working right.

I recently read an article about turning of IMAPI as a service in XP
if you don't use any packet writing software (which I don't), because
it just occupies system resources. I did this, and it didn't cause
any propblems at the time... this was about a month ago. CDs still
burned well and I figured I was better off for it.

I promptly forgot that I had done this.

I doscovered yesterday (through a last ditch trial and error in the
services panel) that IMAPI was disabled; reenabling it made the
OPTORITE work perfectly in DMA mode, and I've been burning DVD+Rs for
about the last 24 hours nonstop without a coaster yet.

If anyone is thinking of getting these drives... GET IT. Best deal
since the SD-RAM frenzy of 1997, and you really won't be sorry as long
as the firmware and all your system drivers/BIOS are up to date. It
burns fast, quiet, and it's so damned cheap for a dual format

But here's some good info. I just found at Staples on clearance some
2.4x DVD+R media cheaper than anywhere (9.99 for a ten pack), and the
optorite works on them beautifully, and they read on commercial
players (my apex). They are called Optimum, the spools of 10 have a
red and white label on top witha cross offset to the left. I'd give
a serial number, but I can locate none.

As for HD-BURN media, since I just don't care that much about the
feature much I'm not going to order it online, but I'll tell you that
I have tried some of the Memorex 80min data CDs, and they will record
without error every time, but the OPTORITE won't even read them when
they're done; I've also tried some Sony 80min data CDs that fail due
to power calibration.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:52:48 GMT, "callsignviper"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 11th 03, 10:21 PM
callsignviper

"mom" wrote in message
[...]

Good to hear and interesting about that aspect of XP.

HD-Burn works great here but does require high quality media. I still have
some Fuji CDRs that were made by Taiyo Yuden (Japan) and they work fine with
HD-Burn. The only problem is that the Optorite DVD Writer is the only drive
I know of that can read them. :-((

I agree the Opto-Rite is a great drive and the price is still dropping!
:-)) I may get a second one before long.

I saw the Optimum DVD media in a local Staples and passed on it. I may go
back to see if any is left and give it a try.

Old October 13th 03, 01:11 PM
dgk

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:15:16 -0400, mom wrote:

If anyone is thinking of getting these drives... GET IT. Best deal
since the SD-RAM frenzy of 1997, and you really won't be sorry as long
as the firmware and all your system drivers/BIOS are up to date. It
burns fast, quiet, and it's so damned cheap for a dual format

Oh good. I just got one this weekend at the local PC Fair. Everyone
said they were ok and it was $109. I also got some DVD-R media (4x)
that won't work on the Optorite-0203, even after upgrading the
firmware to 2.16. I was going crazy trying to figure out what was
wrong until I tried the 4x+ that came with the drive and it worked
fine so at least I knew the drive was ok.

I went to CompUSA and got some DVD- media (1X) and that works ok but
is 1X. Odd thing is, I used DVDEncrypter to burn a video and it
recorded at 2X on the 1X media. I thought that wasn't supposed to
work? It did read in the Optorite afterwards though.
Old October 14th 03, 01:13 PM
dgk

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:58:03 GMT, mikah

From: dgk (Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:11:49 -0400)
MsgId:

Oh good. I just got one this weekend at the local PC Fair. Everyone
said they were ok and it was $109. I also got some DVD-R media (4x)
that won't work on the Optorite-0203, even after upgrading the
firmware to 2.16. I was going crazy trying to figure out what was
wrong until I tried the 4x+ that came with the drive and it worked
fine so at least I knew the drive was ok.

I went to CompUSA and got some DVD- media (1X) and that works ok but
is 1X. Odd thing is, I used DVDEncrypter to burn a video and it
recorded at 2X on the 1X media. I thought that wasn't supposed to
work? It did read in the Optorite afterwards though.

Optorite DD0203 v2.16 has trouble writing DVD-R discs. If you write to them
Disc-At-Once it will likely create discs that can be read on console
players, but not DVD-ROM drives. The work-around is to write multi-session.
Nero will warn against it, but you can do it anyway. Then the disc can be
read on DVD-ROM drives, but not console players (because they aren't
strictly DVD-Video compliant). Optorite is aware of the problem, but
appears to be dependent to Samsung for a fix.

The Optorite drive itself can read back the DVD-R discs it burns.

DVD+R discs burn fine.

A final workaround when trying to read a DVD-R disc burned by Optorite is
to insert a DVD+R disc in your DVD-ROM drive then insert the DVD-R disc.

I thought that DAO was just to burn wav files onto CDR without the
gaps. What does it do on DVDs since there doesn't seem to be a way to
burn wav files as audio?
Old October 15th 03, 06:36 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

mikah wrote:

DAO isn't just to burn audio without gaps. It is, quite simply, the most
compatible way to write a single session of data to optical media.
DVD-Video discs are DAO. Supporting multi-session on CD-R came later and
early CD-ROM drives couldn't even read it.

Mike Richter would do a better job explaining. I have all the facts in my
head, but organizing them enough to get them into this post isn't my strong
suit. You might want to read his site:

General - http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/primer.htm
DAO/SAO/TAO - http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/dao.htm

Isn't that the site with abundance of half-baked research?

Mike Richter & CD Extra - SAO/TAO ? (Half-Baked Research)

=====================
From: Mike Richter
Subject: Easy CD Creator makes CD-Extra disc with
no track titles
Date: 9/15/01

Is there any way to make a CD-Extra disc and get the track
information on it?

If you want to do a true CD Extra, you have to comply with
the rules for CD Extra - which means TAO and no titles.

ECDC and anything else which complies with the standard will
comply with the standard.

I know that's hard to accept, but try - real hard.
=====================

Perhaps, it's Mike Richter who should try - real hard?

http://www.roxio.com/en/common/gloss2.html (link invalid)
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdr.htm#s (same as above)

Session-at-Once is...used for CD Extra.

The above Mikey's statement is the fruit of ITS so-called "research":
=====================
From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Date: 5/30/01

After doing the research, I have prepared a page on the combination
modes and posted it in the primer at my site. Though one expert has
reviewed it, I look forward to comments from anyone with experience.
=====================

So much for the Mikey's so-called "research" and
so much for the so-called "expert" who reviewed it.

[ Any chance to reveal the identity of this so-called "expert"? ]

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Slimy Scum!
----------------------------
Old October 15th 03, 01:27 PM
dgk

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:51:27 GMT, mikah

From: dgk (Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:13:19 -0400)
MsgId:

From: dgk (Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:11:49 -0400)
MsgId:

[...]

I'm not sure if Mike's site covers the different directory structures for
the different formats. I've seen him talk about it here and on the Roxio
discussion list (when it existed). I'll try to go from memory and he can
correct me where I err. Basically, when you do DAO, the TOC (directory) is
written at the beginning of the session (innermost area of disc). The data
follows. When you do multi-session, there's a root TOC at the beginning,
but then each session has it's own TOC. And they get linked together. Long
story short, multi-session is cool, but is not the simplest way to write
data to a disc.

Anyway, writing data (not audio) using DAO works perfectly on DVD+R discs
with the Optorite (as it should). It's just using DVD-R media that it
doesn't work correctly. And you'll only notice it if you try to read back
the burned discs in DVD-ROM drives.

I actually planned to ask Mike to speculate on why Multisession would work
but not DAO, but I wanted to do some reading/research on my own first so I
could tell him what I already know about the problem. As near as I can
tell, the Optorite doesn't write the lead-out correctly to DAO DVD-R discs.
That doesn't really explain to me why a DVD-ROM drive won't even recognize
the DAO DVD-R disc is inserted, though.

Folks with (or considering) Optorite beware.

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose I can use + discs for this
stuff. Mostly I'm going to use it for data backup anyway but I have to
admit to being POd that I can't use - in a +- burner.