Need to make a single 3TB partition

Old April 3rd 10, 02:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Char Jackson

Default Need to make a single 3TB partition

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:44:25 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:32:59 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:
The purpose of these drives is not for full-time storage needs, they are
only for backup and archival requirements. Think of them as fulfilling
the same purpose as tape drives. So connecting them to an internal
SATA/RAID controller is totally out of the question, the drives in
question may be powered down and put away in a closet after backups.

Yousuf Khan

Sounds like you need a less expensive version of this:

Up to 4TB capacity, multiple USB ports, 2 10/100/1000 ports, etc.

Yeah, *way* less expensive! Considering the price of the rackmount unit
you linked to ($1652), I'm not doing too badly with what I put together
at 3TB, and a cost of less than $250. I might also have trouble putting
that rackmount into a closet or cupboard later.

Yousuf Khan

I admit, I was trying to shock you a bit.
But seriously, I was going on the assumption that your current
hardware isn't doing what you need, at least so far. So my next
question was whether any hardware would do what you want, and I think
the answer is yes. So now it's just a matter of finding something
affordable, or finding a way to make your current hardware work.

Old April 3rd 10, 02:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

andy wrote:
Are you using something like this, which has a self-contained RAID
interface?
MobileSTOR MS2UT+ - 2 Bay eSATA/USB RAID/SAFE33/50 (Silver)
http://store.sansdigital-shop.com/moms4.html

No, this is what I have.

Tsunami - Tsunami eData II 3500 3.5″ JBOD Black - EDATAJBODBK
http://pricecanada.com/p.php/Tsunami...JBODBK-649067/

Yousuf Khan
Old April 3rd 10, 02:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Char Jackson wrote:
I admit, I was trying to shock you a bit.
But seriously, I was going on the assumption that your current
hardware isn't doing what you need, at least so far. So my next
question was whether any hardware would do what you want, and I think
the answer is yes. So now it's just a matter of finding something
affordable, or finding a way to make your current hardware work.

Well, I had thought that the hardware that I got would do what I needed.
But the concatenation didn't work right.

Yousuf Khan
Old April 3rd 10, 03:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
[email protected]

Yousuf -

When I went to the Tsunami web site to look up the details on this
drive enclosure, I found that there's an internal jumper for switching
between JBOD (2 separated disks) and BIG (one bunched disk). Have you
set that jumper properly?

- Paul

Old April 6th 10, 11:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Yeah, *way* less expensive! Considering the price of the rackmount unit
you linked to ($1652), I'm not doing too badly with what I put together
at 3TB, and a cost of less than $250. I might also have trouble putting
that rackmount into a closet or cupboard later.

What about a FreeNAS or similar device? Make it out of an old PC and it will
work fine, although you may run into throughput problems if the CPU can't
keep up with the flow of data. Still, you won't need much CPU for a decently
designed and well supported NIC. If you have gigabit NICs in both machines
and gigabit capable switches linking them (or a crossover cable) it could
theoretically be faster than USB or Firewire.

I'm using an HP Vectra VA Pentium Pro. It's probably the only Pentium Pro in
the world with a serial ATA card in it. That card (a cheap one) drives two
hard disks...one internal Samsung SpinPoint Ecogreen 500GB unit and a
Samsung SpinPoint 750GB drive in an external enclosure connected via eSATA.
I also put in a USB 2.0 card to make it possible to connect external disks
and dump the contents to an external drive that is then taken offsite. But
you could just as easily put the PC in a closet when you're done with it.

I'll be making another from a no-name K6 based PC that will go to a house
next door to mine. There is a wireless link between the two places, and
while it may be slow, the idea is to configure rsync jobs between the two
machines.

William

Old April 8th 10, 01:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Yeah, *way* less expensive! Considering the price of the rackmount unit
you linked to ($1652), I'm not doing too badly with what I put together
at 3TB, and a cost of less than $250. I might also have trouble putting
that rackmount into a closet or cupboard later.

What about a FreeNAS or similar device? Make it out of an old PC and it will
work fine, although you may run into throughput problems if the CPU can't
keep up with the flow of data. Still, you won't need much CPU for a decently
designed and well supported NIC. If you have gigabit NICs in both machines
and gigabit capable switches linking them (or a crossover cable) it could
theoretically be faster than USB or Firewire.

There are way too many computers in the house already. I can't be
running a server room in my bedroom.

Yousuf Khan