Seagate 300 gig IDE drive seen as unformatted

Old March 21st 10, 04:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Rod Speed

Default Seagate 300 gig IDE drive seen as unformatted

Daniel Prince wrote
Rod Speed wrote:
Daniel Prince wrote

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you recommend?

Doesnt really matter. Ubuntu is pretty intuitive for those
who have never used Linux before because it does
things the same way Win does most of the time.

If that doesnt work, I like Easy Recovery Pro
myself, but it isnt free unless you steal it.

Old March 21st 10, 08:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Daniel Prince

From: "Daniel Prince"

| "Rod Speed" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

| It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
| recommend?

Did you run SeaGate SeaTools like I asked ?

Yes. I downloaded and ran SeaTools. This is what it said:

Model: ST3300831A
Serial Number: (deleted)
Firmware Revision: 3.01
SMART - FAIL 3/21/2010 1:18:43 AM
Short DST - Started 3/21/2010 1:19:07 AM
Short DST - FAIL 3/21/2010 1:19:23 AM
Long DST - Started 3/21/2010 1:19:32 AM
Long DST - FAIL 3/21/2010 1:20:58 AM
Identify - Started 3/21/2010 3:52:53 AM
SMART: Supported and enabled
48-bit Address feature set supported: True
Max LBA: 586072368
Host Protected Area features: Supported and enabled
Mandatory Power Management: Supported and enabled
Security Mode: Supported not enabled
SET MAX security extension: Supported not enabled
Advanced Power Managment: Not Supported
Download Firmwa False
SMART self-test supported: True
SMART error logging supported: True
Drive Temperature(C/F): 27/81
Power-On Hours: 363159
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Old March 21st 10, 09:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
David H. Lipman

From: "Daniel Prince"

From: "Daniel Prince"

| "Rod Speed" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

| It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
| recommend?

Did you run SeaGate SeaTools like I asked ?

| Yes. I downloaded and ran SeaTools. This is what it said:

| Model: ST3300831A
| Serial Number: (deleted)
| Firmware Revision: 3.01
| SMART - FAIL 3/21/2010 1:18:43 AM
| Short DST - Started 3/21/2010 1:19:07 AM
| Short DST - FAIL 3/21/2010 1:19:23 AM
| Long DST - Started 3/21/2010 1:19:32 AM
| Long DST - FAIL 3/21/2010 1:20:58 AM
| Identify - Started 3/21/2010 3:52:53 AM
| SMART: Supported and enabled
| 48-bit Address feature set supported: True
| Max LBA: 586072368
| Host Protected Area features: Supported and enabled
| Mandatory Power Management: Supported and enabled
| Security Mode: Supported not enabled
| SET MAX security extension: Supported not enabled
| Advanced Power Managment: Not Supported
| Download Firmwa False
| SMART self-test supported: True
| SMART error logging supported: True
| Drive Temperature(C/F): 27/81
| Power-On Hours: 363159

That's not exactly what I meant. Sorry.

The objective is to run a full, comprehensive, test of the drive such that you will know
its condition and maybe fix bad sectors. At the end it will either indicate it is healthy
or errors with an error message.

But at least I now know that this is a .3TB IDE hard disk.

--
Dave

Old March 21st 10, 09:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
JP Loken

snip
I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

UBCD4Win is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for
repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem. The CD is
easy and fairly quick to build, but you need a XP CD.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
snip
It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
recommend?

snip
I've successfully used Knoppix three times on various computers.

--
JP Loken
Sent with Opera's e-mail program: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old March 21st 10, 10:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
za kAT

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:56:05 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

Power-On Hours: 363159

Pooh says there it is.

Turn the goddammmned thing off once in a while.

duh
--
- www.zakATsKopterChat.com
Old March 22nd 10, 12:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Rod Speed

za kAT wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:56:05 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

Power-On Hours: 363159

Pooh says there it is.

Turn the goddammmned thing off once in a while.

No need. I leave mine on all the time and none have any bad sectors.

Old March 22nd 10, 02:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Daniel Prince

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

That's not exactly what I meant. Sorry.

The objective is to run a full, comprehensive, test of the drive such that you will know
its condition and maybe fix bad sectors. At the end it will either indicate it is healthy
or errors with an error message.

I do not see a full, comprehensive, test listed in any of the tests
available in SeaTools. Where do I find them?
Old March 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
za kAT

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:11:57 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

za kAT wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:56:05 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

Power-On Hours: 363159

Pooh says there it is.

Turn the goddammmned thing off once in a while.

No need. I leave mine on all the time and none have any bad sectors.

Pooh calls BS.

Lie on someone else time.

We use Big Ben.
--
- www.zakATsKopterChat.com
Old March 22nd 10, 10:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
David H. Lipman

From: "Daniel Prince"

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

That's not exactly what I meant. Sorry.

The objective is to run a full, comprehensive, test of the drive such that you will
know
its condition and maybe fix bad sectors. At the end it will either indicate it is
healthy
or errors with an error message.

| I do not see a full, comprehensive, test listed in any of the tests
| available in SeaTools. Where do I find them?

Since I don't have a SeaTools Boot Disk avaiable, I can't reference it. However there is
a short test anda longer more comprehensive test. Choose the latter.

--
Dave

Old March 22nd 10, 09:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Zaphod

On Mar 21, 2:51*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. *Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. *When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. *I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. *Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? *Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,

As far as freeware goes, I have no idea of a solution, but Steve
Gibsons Spinrite can recover damaged sectors if they can be recovered
at all.