Shredding deleted files

Old March 15th 09, 03:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Shredding deleted files

On 14 Mar, 02:40, "iws" wrote:
Eraser (http://www.heidi.ie/node/6) *is free and will erase both files and
empty space. I like it for its erase option within the context menu of
Windows Explorer. It can also erase the entire disc if the disc is not
needed for the operating system. It comes with the ability to also create a
Darik's Boot and Nuke disk that "securely wipes the hard disks of most
computers."

Great tip, I installed Eraser and it's performing wonders )
Thanks guys!

One more suggestion tough... I noticed Eraser has a feature to enable
the clearing of the paging file at shutdown. (under Preferences,
General.) In the help file it is mentioned that this will work under
Windows 2000. Does it work under XP/Vista as well? Also, is this
sufficient protection or is there some other measure to be taken in
order to shred the paging file?
Old March 15th 09, 03:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ian D

wrote in message
On 14 Mar, 02:40, "iws" wrote:
Eraser (http://www.heidi.ie/node/6) is free and will erase both files and
empty space. I like it for its erase option within the context menu of
Windows Explorer. It can also erase the entire disc if the disc is not
needed for the operating system. It comes with the ability to also create
Darik's Boot and Nuke disk that "securely wipes the hard disks of most
computers."

Great tip, I installed Eraser and it's performing wonders )
Thanks guys!

One more suggestion tough... I noticed Eraser has a feature to enable
the clearing of the paging file at shutdown. (under Preferences,
General.) In the help file it is mentioned that this will work under
Windows 2000. Does it work under XP/Vista as well? Also, is this
sufficient protection or is there some other measure to be taken in
order to shred the paging file?

The problem with that, is, if you have a 3GB pagefile, it will
add some time to the shut down process. If it's a one time
procedure, why not delete the page file before doing the free
space wiping? Then you'll know it's done.

Old March 16th 09, 06:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

In article
s.com, writes

Do you know a program that accesses deleted files and shreddes them
once and for all? Thanks in advance!

Darik's Boot and Nuke,
www.dban.org, is very good. You can select the
level of security erase, ranging from a simple overwrite with zeros to a
full mil-spec wipe.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Old June 12th 09, 05:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ato_Zee

On 12-Jun-2009, Barry OGrady wrote:

Do you know a program that accesses deleted files and shreddes them
once and for all? Thanks in advance!

There are many utilities, try
http://www.killdisk.com/
haven't had to use it myself but it looks pretty powerful.
Many sites have downloads of disk killing software.
Old June 15th 09, 11:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

On 14 Jun 2009 18:25:51 GMT, Arno wrote:

Arno wrote:
Mark F wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 00:28:59 +1000, Barry OGrady
wrote in part:

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:47:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Do you know a program that accesses deleted files and shreddes them
once and for all? Thanks in advance!

Run a defragmenter that erases free space.
This solves the original poster's problem, but does not solve
the more basic need, which is for a program that
automatically erases files when they leave the Recycle Bin or are
deleted without going to the Recycle Bin.

AJC Software's Active Backup monitors all files so it
can save changed information, so there must be an operating system
hook that would allow handling what to do when a file is deleted
most of the time,

Not necessarily. It could just crawl the directoory structure slowly
and keep its own database to compare.

I use AJC Active Backup and I can tell it is "watching", not walking.
In particular, programs that open and close many files or try to
protect their databases from crashes (such as Forte's Agent
newsreader) cause AJC Active Backup to use lots of CPU time.

but a direct trap for file deletes would be better.

Indedd. However not ewven Unix/Linux does have such a hook,
so I expect there will be none on MS stuff.

Without a hook, I think the only thing that can reasonably be done
is a periodic (slow) overwrite of all free space.

Arno

P.S.: The real solution is, of course, to encrypt your drive.

No - I don't even want someone with the key to the encrypted disk
to get access to the deleted stuff.

(I'm sending an email to the AJC Software guys to see if they
can do write a program to erase files that are deleted.)

Arno

Old June 16th 09, 12:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

wrote in part:

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:47:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Do you know a program that accesses deleted files and shreddes them
once and for all? Thanks in advance!

Run a defragmenter that erases free space.
This solves the original poster's problem, but does not solve
the more basic need, which is for a program that
automatically erases files when they leave the Recycle Bin or are
deleted without going to the Recycle Bin.

AJC Software's Active Backup monitors all files so it
can save changed information, so there must be an operating system
hook that would allow handling what to do when a file is deleted
most of the time,

Not necessarily. It could just crawl the directoory structure slowly
and keep its own database to compare.

I use AJC Active Backup and I can tell it is "watching", not walking.

Well, watching and walking are the same things here.

In particular, programs that open and close many files or try to
protect their databases from crashes (such as Forte's Agent
newsreader) cause AJC Active Backup to use lots of CPU time.

This could be checksum calculations.

Sorry, not conclusive.

but a direct trap for file deletes would be better.

Indedd. However not ewven Unix/Linux does have such a hook,
so I expect there will be none on MS stuff.

Without a hook, I think the only thing that can reasonably be done
is a periodic (slow) overwrite of all free space.

Arno

P.S.: The real solution is, of course, to encrypt your drive.

No - I don't even want someone with the key to the encrypted disk
to get access to the deleted stuff.

(I'm sending an email to the AJC Software guys to see if they
can do write a program to erase files that are deleted.)

Good idea.

Arno