No audio when connecting 9800 All-in-Wonder Pro to DirectTV sattelite dish.

Old November 11th 05, 05:00 AM
Jeff Ingram

Default No audio when connecting 9800 All-in-Wonder Pro to DirectTV sattelite dish.

Hello,

I've got my 9800Pro All-in-Wonder card connected to the out of my
DirectTV/Tivo sattelite receiver via a coaxial cable. When I bring up ATI's
TV app or any video capturing application I have installed. (Pinnacle Studio
9, Window Movie Maker, DVD Movie Factory) I get a picture after I change to
channel 3, but I don't get any sound.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Could it be in the Windows Volume
Control applet? I've upped all the sliders to the max on the Recording
Volume Control, but still no sound.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old November 11th 05, 05:15 AM
DDC

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:00:22 -0500, "Jeff Ingram"
wrote:

Hello,

I've got my 9800Pro All-in-Wonder card connected to the out of my
DirectTV/Tivo sattelite receiver via a coaxial cable. When I bring up ATI's
TV app or any video capturing application I have installed. (Pinnacle Studio
9, Window Movie Maker, DVD Movie Factory) I get a picture after I change to
channel 3, but I don't get any sound.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Could it be in the Windows Volume
Control applet? I've upped all the sliders to the max on the Recording
Volume Control, but still no sound.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jeff

I think you may need some connector connected to your audio sound card
or motherboard.

You may need a cable with a jack "male"connector.that is what i've
been told by the vendor at some electronic shop. that was for video
recording to my pc.

Old November 11th 05, 11:32 AM
J. Clarke

Jeff Ingram wrote:

Hello,

I've got my 9800Pro All-in-Wonder card connected to the out of my
DirectTV/Tivo sattelite receiver via a coaxial cable. When I bring up
ATI's TV app or any video capturing application I have installed.
(Pinnacle Studio 9, Window Movie Maker, DVD Movie Factory) I get a picture
after I change to channel 3, but I don't get any sound.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Could it be in the Windows
Volume
Control applet? I've upped all the sliders to the max on the Recording
Volume Control, but still no sound.

What am I missing?

Do you have the audio out from the AIW connected to the line-in or
microphone-in or aux-in or CD-in or whatever ATI recommends for that board?
And are you _sure_? It's easy to get confused with ATI's cabling.

Thanks,

Jeff

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old November 11th 05, 05:28 PM
T Shadow

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Jeff Ingram wrote:

[...]

If he's using MMC 9.03(IIRC) or newer the audio is digital through the PCI
bus. Audio is thru Wave not hardware. If the sound card is an Audigy he
needs to look at the MMC Release Notes.
Might be a good idea to make sure the receiver is putting out audio. Audio
on the RF output on my cable box is mono only. If you use S-Video you'll get
a better picture.

Old November 11th 05, 08:08 PM
Jeff Ingram

What audio out? I don't see an audio out on my 9800Pro All in Wonder on the
outside. Might there be a connector on the the face of the card itsself?
BTW, I've using a coxial cable from my DirectTV receiver. And yes, I get
audio when I connect that to my VCR.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old November 11th 05, 08:12 PM
Jeff Ingram

My receiver is at least 30 feet away from my computer, therefore I have to
use a coaxial cable. Unless they make 30+ft S-Video cables.

Thanks,

Jeff

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .

Old November 11th 05, 10:04 PM
T Shadow

"Jeff Ingram" wrote in message
My receiver is at least 30 feet away from my computer, therefore I have to
use a coaxial cable. Unless they make 30+ft S-Video cables.

Thanks,

Jeff

"T Shadow" wrote in message
.. .
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Jeff Ingram wrote:

[...]

25ft are common but going further may require an amplifier. only you can
decide if it's worth the time/money.

Old November 11th 05, 10:25 PM
Ron Marraccini

I also connect the RF out of my satellite receiver to the RF in on the AIW
9800 Pro card.

As the newer ATI software (MMC 9.08) sends the audio signal on to the
motherboard bus, I use the spdif audio out on my Abit NF7-S motherboard (go
Soundstorm!) and run it to my 5.1 home theater receiver. The Soundstorm chip
on the motherboard automatically encodes/decodes Dolby Digital.

Make sure the ATI software is set to digital out.

--
Ron A. Marraccini

Old November 12th 05, 12:21 AM
Jeff Ingram

So I can assume that you're getting audio in via the coaxial connection?
If true, what did you have to enable to get that?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old November 12th 05, 06:48 AM
J. Clarke

Jeff Ingram wrote:

What audio out? I don't see an audio out on my 9800Pro All in Wonder on
the
outside. Might there be a connector on the the face of the card itsself?
BTW, I've using a coxial cable from my DirectTV receiver. And yes, I get
audio when I connect that to my VCR.

Look on page 21 of the manual and it will show you how the connection goes.
It's on the AV Out cable.

Thanks,

Jeff