My card is bending!

Old November 7th 05, 04:05 AM
Raphael

Default My card is bending!

Well about two weeks ago I got the ATI Radeon X800XL, this is one gaint
card. Well in length anyways. I look inside my case yesterday, took a close
look, and I noticed that the card is bending. The actual board is bent,
almost sagging at the end. Is this just because the card is so long and the
end is sagging. Its the last 1/3 that seems to be sagging, this is past the
AGP port, so there is no other support for the card. Can anyone help, should
I return it, or keep it? I havnt seen any performance decrease, infact it
runs more smoother than when I first got it. Quake 4 and F.E.A.R run
smoothly on all settings maxed. And no its not overclocked. Could heat be a
contributor to this problem?

Thanks

Old November 7th 05, 03:27 PM
Batman or Superman

Raphael wrote:
Well about two weeks ago I got the ATI Radeon X800XL, this is one gaint
card. Well in length anyways. I look inside my case yesterday, took a close
look, and I noticed that the card is bending. The actual board is bent,
almost sagging at the end. Is this just because the card is so long and the
end is sagging. Its the last 1/3 that seems to be sagging, this is past the
AGP port, so there is no other support for the card. Can anyone help, should
I return it, or keep it? I havnt seen any performance decrease, infact it
runs more smoother than when I first got it. Quake 4 and F.E.A.R run
smoothly on all settings maxed. And no its not overclocked. Could heat be a
contributor to this problem?

Thanks

Doesn't sound like you are having an actual problem with the card. Since
the card is built using a PCB, it won't sag. It is probably a trick of
the eyes or your motherboard isn't sitting level. I would just go with
it until you notice any problems.

Am I Batman or Superman? I'm so confused.
Old November 8th 05, 07:46 PM
Raphael

It is not a trick of the eyes, the card is actually bending, looking more
like its sagging. Any other opinions?

Old November 8th 05, 09:42 PM

I recently moved a motherboard from one case to another. It had a huge
copper heatsink on it for about 2 years in the typical tower
arrangement. The PCB was actually deformed from the constant weight of
the sink. I left the mobo out on a flat surface overnight (it was late
when I got started) and by the next day, it had gone back to being more
or less flat.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the card starts flaking out.

Old November 8th 05, 10:49 PM
Paul Goodhew

Raphael wrote in message ...
It is not a trick of the eyes, the card is actually bending, looking more
like its sagging. Any other opinions?

You'll probably find that the card is bent from the force applied to plug in
the molex connector (power cable to the card). Particularly if you plug it
in a few times.

my x800pro is exactly the same, it looks like it is sagging from the top
corner (the corner opposite the bottom of the motherboard and opposite the
plug where you plug in your monitor.

this should also be the corner where you plug in the power cord.

It freaked me out at first but it's nothing to worry about. mine has been
going strong for 12 months.

Old November 8th 05, 11:08 PM
First of One

Leave the card as-is. The sagging is of course caused by the sheer weight of
the card and the heat sink. It has nothing to do with heat. The circuit
board can easily tolerate the deflection. No worries, unless your PC is
mounted in a vehicle.

.. .

Old November 9th 05, 06:09 PM
Pluvious

\
Just a thought, but couldn't he mount a piece of PCB (radioshack) or some object
to act as a 'leg' to hold it up?

Pluvious

Old November 10th 05, 02:43 AM
First of One

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/cackfornvand.html

No need to break out the Dremel or snips when there ARE purpose-built
retainer brackets available $8. :-) Many OEMs like Dell and Boxx use the
bracket to hold up large workstation cards. The X800XL is just not heavy
enough to require it, simple as that.

\

Old November 13th 05, 03:58 PM
GMAN

In article , "Raphael" wrote:
It is not a trick of the eyes, the card is actually bending, looking more
like its sagging. Any other opinions?

It sounds like your motherboard is not installed quite straight in the
computer case.