Hair-trigger keyboards?

Old August 11th 19, 03:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

Default Hair-trigger keyboards?

Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch? I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake. Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys? I'm used to the old typewriter keys.
Old August 11th 19, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:06:44 -0400, Peter Jason wrote:

Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch? I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake. Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys? I'm used to the old typewriter keys.

My most recently purchased keyboard is a wireless logitech k545, which
I find to be quite good. I too learned to type originally on manual
typewriter, then electric typewriters and also on key punch machines.
Purchased the keyboard and mouse, an m510 together with the wireless
usb dongle from amazon.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change to for
email replies.
Old August 11th 19, 04:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Peter Jason wrote:
Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch? I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake. Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys? I'm used to the old typewriter keys.

"long-travel" ?

https://www.gett-group.com/catalog/s...boards/desktop

A company would use terms like that, when they like to make
chiclet or membrane solutions as well.

The force versus displacement diagram makes a difference too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling_spring

https://www.amazon.com/Unicomp-Class.../dp/B01M29PYF4

And another item I look for, is how the letters are applied to the keys.

"Double shot keycaps"

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop...uct_list&c=424

"this keycap type is produced when two layers of plastic
are molded into each other. No printing necessary.

The end result is a key legend which will never fade or chip off
"

My current keyboard is only a few years old, is not double shot,
and "A", "S", "E" are already showing wear. In addition, the control
key tends to "bind" when pressed. It's not nearly as robust
a keyboard as the previous one (which is no longer made).

And there's such a thing as buying "too stodgy" a keyboard.

I have at least one keyboard here, where it's a bit tiring
to use. I wouldn't look forward to using it.

Paul
Old August 11th 19, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 8/10/2019 10:45 PM, David W. Hodgins wrote:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:06:44 -0400, Peter Jason wrote:

Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch?Â*Â* I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake.Â* Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys?Â* I'm used to the old typewriter keys.

My most recently purchased keyboard is a wireless logitech k545, which
I find to be quite good. I too learned to type originally on manual
typewriter, then electric typewriters and also on key punch machines.
Purchased the keyboard and mouse, an m510 together with the wireless
usb dongle from amazon.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

I don't use that particular one but I have been using the compact Logitech
K360 wireless keyboard and M570 wireless trackball (I hate mice) and have
found the touch of the keyboard to be quite suitable for touch typing.
Certainly not the action of a 1960-vintage Remington manual typewriter such
as the one I learned to type on.
Old August 12th 19, 10:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Anssi Saari

Peter Jason writes:

Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch? I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake. Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys? I'm used to the old typewriter keys.

Unicomp still makes old IBM Model M keyboards although updated with USB
connection.

Also, mechanical keys have made something of a comeback this
decade. Gamers and pro writers and I assume all kinds of people like
mechanical keyboards and there's a bunch of manufacturers, even some of
the bigger makers have mechanical keyboards now. There's lots of
variation for activation weight and click or no-click type of
keys.
Old August 14th 19, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:06:44 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch? I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake. Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys? I'm used to the old typewriter keys.

Thanks to all, I note there are specs for switches in the Chreey
range of boards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(keyboards)
...and the one I might need is the "Cherry Green" .
Do keyboard manufacturers install the desired keys as a service?
Old August 14th 19, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 8/13/2019 7:24 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:06:44 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

Hi, where can I find keyboards with heavy keys that do not go off with
the slightest touch? I make too many mistakes by just brushing over
the keys by mistake. Is there a special keyword for searching for
these heavier keys? I'm used to the old typewriter keys.

Thanks to all, I note there are specs for switches in the Chreey
range of boards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(keyboards)
..and the one I might need is the "Cherry Green" .
Do keyboard manufacturers install the desired keys as a service?

If you have the money somebody would probably do it. However, as a first
step, Google for "keyboard using cherry green switches" and see what you
can find. One thing that turned up on the first search page was:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/swit...herry-MX-Green
Old August 14th 19, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 19:47:13 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

[...]

Well....thank you; I could never have found this. I'll get one,
preferably one with large letters on the keys.