Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (notfuture-proof, no 10 GBe)

Old July 9th 19, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/9/2019 10:53 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

Let's talk about it when the price of 10G broadband plans could
challenge that of 1G plans.... 10G is definitely local/domestic speed
only.

Broadband is irrelevant when discussing LAN architectures. Broadband is
WAN, a whole different animal.

It's still relevant because both WAN and LAN need Ethernet adapters!
Everything in the end comes down on prices of relevant technology!

What Skybuck wants to do, is span devices sequentially using ICS.
For Comp#2 to receive service, everything in the chain needs power.
And that costs money.

GbE GbE 10GbE
Broadband -------- entry_device ---------- Comp#1 --------- Comp#2
WAN ICS

The 10GbE is for transferring files quickly between PCs.

*******

In most neighborhoods, the best you can expect is
GbE on the WAN side. While you can have "any rate you want",
the higher rates cost too much money for what you get.
People connected to Internet2 would use higher rate
connections (universities, research institutions).

Paul
Old July 9th 19, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 12:53:46 -0400, Paul wrote:

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 7/9/2019 10:53 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

Let's talk about it when the price of 10G broadband plans could
challenge that of 1G plans.... 10G is definitely local/domestic speed
only.

Broadband is irrelevant when discussing LAN architectures. Broadband is
WAN, a whole different animal.

It's still relevant because both WAN and LAN need Ethernet adapters!
Everything in the end comes down on prices of relevant technology!

What Skybuck wants to do, is span devices sequentially using ICS.

You could well be right, but where did you see that he wanted to use
ICS? I thought I must have missed it, but I went back and still don't
see it. Was it hidden in his confusion about wanting a separate physical
connection to the second PC in addition to the Internet?

For Comp#2 to receive service, everything in the chain needs power.
And that costs money.

GbE GbE 10GbE
Broadband -------- entry_device ---------- Comp#1 --------- Comp#2
WAN ICS

The 10GbE is for transferring files quickly between PCs.

*******

In most neighborhoods, the best you can expect is
GbE on the WAN side. While you can have "any rate you want",
the higher rates cost too much money for what you get.
People connected to Internet2 would use higher rate
connections (universities, research institutions).

Down here in the States, GbE on the WAN side is coming along very
slowly. It's available in my neighborhood for $60/month, but I'm lucky.
My guess is that it's available in less than 1% of total neighborhoods.
If it's common up in your neck of the woods, you're well ahead of us.

Old July 9th 19, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 16:43:44 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 10:38:19 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Broadband is irrelevant when discussing LAN architectures. Broadband is
WAN, a whole different animal.

It's still relevant because both WAN and LAN need Ethernet adapters!

Huh?

Google says:

noun: broadband
high-capacity transmission technique using a wide range of frequencies

Notice "wide range of frequencies"

Google says:

Radio frequency (RF) refers to the rate of oscillation of
electromagnetic radio waves in the range of 3 kHz to 300 GHz,
as well as the alternating currents carrying the radio signals.
This is the frequency band that is used for communications
transmission and broadcasting.

Notice "frequency band"

Now put "wide range of frequencies" and "frequency band" together. That
works, since both have "frequency"

What do you get? Looks like BROAD (wide) BAND to me.

No. Broadband is a term used to describe (fast) Internet access, i.e.
WAN access. Skybuck was asking about LAN data transfers. That has
nothing to do with WAN/Internet. Your Google search above is similarly
off the mark.

Old July 9th 19, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 12:42:44 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Now put "wide range of frequencies" and "frequency band" together. That
works, since both have "frequency"

What do you get? Looks like BROAD (wide) BAND to me.

No. Broadband is a term used to describe (fast) Internet access, i.e.
WAN access.

Dial up modems are WAN access too. In 1994, 28.8 kilobits per second was
fast. That was probably before you were born.

Skybuck was asking about LAN data transfers. That has
nothing to do with WAN/Internet. Your Google search above is similarly
off the mark.

Some ignorance can be educated. Yours is stubborn.

Old July 9th 19, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Char Jackson wrote:

For Comp#2 to receive service, everything in the chain needs power.
And that costs money.

GbE GbE 10GbE
Broadband -------- entry_device ---------- Comp#1 --------- Comp#2
WAN ICS

Down here in the States, GbE on the WAN side is coming along very
slowly. It's available in my neighborhood for $60/month, but I'm lucky.
My guess is that it's available in less than 1% of total neighborhoods.
If it's common up in your neck of the woods, you're well ahead of us.

It's vaporware here. Supposed to be in Toronto.
Might be in a few appt buildings.

Skybuck mentioned not wanting a router in the picture, and
I assumed he's serially connecting his stuff in the horrible
ICS chain structure. Why else would you want two NICs on a
client PC ? Teaming and failover is a less likely reason.

The WAN side can afford to be a bit slower, while having some
fast interfaces on client computers would be nice. My problem
with the idea, was which OSes have driver support. I'm hoping
RealTek didn't cheap out on that, for their 2.5Gbit thingy.

At one time, you could count on wide wide OS support on NICs.
They were the best devices in hardwareland, when it came to
width of drivers. Not any more.

Paul
Old July 10th 19, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:55:48 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 12:42:44 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Now put "wide range of frequencies" and "frequency band" together. That
works, since both have "frequency"

What do you get? Looks like BROAD (wide) BAND to me.

No. Broadband is a term used to describe (fast) Internet access, i.e.
WAN access.

Dial up modems are WAN access too.

No. Broadband is a term used to describe (fast) Internet access. Dial-up
doesn't qualify as broadband.

Old July 10th 19, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:58:58 -0400, Paul wrote:

Skybuck mentioned not wanting a router in the picture, and
I assumed he's serially connecting his stuff in the horrible
ICS chain structure. Why else would you want two NICs on a
client PC ? Teaming and failover is a less likely reason.

Oh, ok. I read it differently, probably incorrectly. I read it as
wanting Internet access on the new PC along with network access to the
other PC, but no Internet access required on the other PC (so no ICS). I
rather figured that ICS had died off in the late 90's. Over the years,
I've found that some people don't realize they can do everything with a
single NIC that they can do with multiple NICs.

Old July 10th 19, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 19:08:34 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Dial up modems are WAN access too.

No.

..
You remind me of a kid in a computer store years ago. He told me he was
"grounded" because he was standing on a rubber mat. I thought it would
waste time trying to explain insulator vs. conductor. I never went back
to that store.

Broadband is a term used to describe (fast) Internet access. Dial-up
doesn't qualify as broadband.

I said WAN, not broadband. You're confusing network types with speed.
Bandwidth is where the term broadband comes from. Study history and stop
pretending you know what you're talking about.

Old July 10th 19, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

T. Ment wrote:

You remind me of a kid in a computer store years ago. He told me he was
"grounded" because he was standing on a rubber mat. I thought it would
waste time trying to explain insulator vs. conductor. I never went back
to that store.

That depends entirely on what the mat is made of.

Rubber matting with conductive carbon particles
in it, can conduct. The matting might have a
resistance of around 1 megohm, which is ideal
for static electricity dissipation.

What I've learned over the years, is looks can be
deceiving.

All you have to do, is find the person who *paid*
for the fancy item, and they'll tell you the
magic properties :-) "It'll burn a hole in your wallet" :-)
That's one of the magic properties.

Paul

Old July 10th 19, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Char Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:58:58 -0400, Paul wrote:

Skybuck mentioned not wanting a router in the picture, and
I assumed he's serially connecting his stuff in the horrible
ICS chain structure. Why else would you want two NICs on a
client PC ? Teaming and failover is a less likely reason.

Oh, ok. I read it differently, probably incorrectly. I read it as
wanting Internet access on the new PC along with network access to the
other PC, but no Internet access required on the other PC (so no ICS). I
rather figured that ICS had died off in the late 90's. Over the years,
I've found that some people don't realize they can do everything with a
single NIC that they can do with multiple NICs.

ICS is *still* available in Windows 10 :-)

But I couldn't get a Bluetooth Piconet, to be
offered as a "candidate" in the drop-down menu
where you set that up.

I tried to get that running, as a kind of bar bet.
(Take the two nano BT transceivers I bought,
and get some use out of them.)

Paul