Cables Reproducing?

Old July 5th 19, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Cables Reproducing?

On 4/07/2019 11:15 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
On 3/07/2019 9:38 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 09:42:57 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over the
world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your knowledge?
I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of unexplained
USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't be there. I
already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear that there are
twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts of cables, not just
USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what else. I'm almost afraid
to look in the downstairs "closet of computing antiquity" for fear of what
will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling center
help?

I feel your pain.
And I solved this with....
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...raid-enclosure
.... and mine has now 7 HDDs.Â*Â* Connectrion is with a single USB3
cable to the computer and one power cord to the wall (albeit too
short).
No more wretched molex catenaries and Sata connectors that all produce
a rat's nest of tangle.

So I found this and figured that, as it's less than half of the price of the 8 HDD version and I
can get one now without saving (and another later..) this might be the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X26VV4/ref=psdc_160354011_t1_B005GYDMYG

However it says that it doesn't support '4Kn Native Drives'. I don't think I have any of those (not
sure how to tell, can't find it on HDD Sentinel's 'Information" tab. It just says 4096 bytes per
sector [Advanced Format] for my HDDs.. The highest capacity drive I have at the moment is 4TB.

Is this likely to be a problem for me, now or in the near future? I'm glad I saw that, I was just
about to order one.

Actually after reading the reviews I'll pass on this. I know not to always rely on the experiences
of [l]users but some of the negative reviews sound like they've been written by knowledgeable
people who've also jumped through the hoops suggested by support...

My luck's not been great and if something might go wrong it usually does. (I lost the contents of a
2TB HDD a couple months ago due to a dodgy USB 3.0 - SATA adapter.) At least one person in a review
said the 8 bay model is far better and more reliable but I don't have that kind of money right now.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 6th 19, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 23:15:18 +1200, ~misfit~
wrote:

[...]

.... and mine has now 7 HDDs. Connectrion is with a single USB3
[...]

I am not clued up to say. Mine is working well and some HDDs are
bitlockered. I have noticed no loss of performance (speed). Another
advantage is the ability to move the unit across to another computer
if desired as well as locking it away in a safe if necessary. I've
had to buy one of these......
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...c-barebone-kit
.....as my main business computer now (this holds two SSDs) and the old
computer for all else. The OS on this old 9-yold computer is on one
working Sata socket and all else from the USBs at the side.

Old July 6th 19, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 6th 19, 12:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Anssi Saari

John McGaw writes:

It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over
the world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

I remember a Garfield strip about that.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your
knowledge?

No. Especially the kind of cable I actually need is usually not anywhere
to be found. Or if I find one, it's sure to be too short or ridiculously
long.
Old July 8th 19, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default ADDENDUM: Cables Reproducing?

On 7/2/2019 9:42 AM, John McGaw wrote:
It has to be that these things are breeding. There used to be a joking
theory that wire coat hangers were reproducing and trying to take over the
world but it seems that computer cables are in the game now.

Do you find that your stock of cables is expanding without your knowledge?
I just looked in the closet in my "office" and found a bag of unexplained
USB cables -- mostly A to B types -- that really shouldn't be there. I
already had a rack on one wall holding cables and I swear that there are
twice as many now as there were a year ago -- all sorts of cables, not just
USB but video, power, extenders, and who knows what else. I'm almost afraid
to look in the downstairs "closet of computing antiquity" for fear of what
will be there now.

What does on do with such excess? Does dumping them at the recycling center
help?

After posting this I spent some time going through one batch of
cables/adapters/whatever trying to make some sort of sense of the whole
mishigas. Did pretty well being able to sort out four or five
definitively-identifiable batches hanging the useful ones on a rack and
putting the excess into plastic bags and storing them away.

It all went well until I got to two really odd cables that I'd never seen
before. At first I thought they had to be some sort of video. On end of
each had a sorta-rectangular connector with 6(?) pins. The other end of one
had an identical connector while the other had a truly weird connector
about the size of an old mini-USB but looking like it had been crushed.

Long story short: I finally identified these as FireWire. No freakin' idea
where they could have come from since I don't have and have never had any
Apple hardware. Anyway, now I'm able to wrap them up together and stuff
them in the downstairs closet of computer antiquities. Of course, some day
I'll have to sort through that but the last time was a few years ago and,
with luck, it will be that long again...
Old July 8th 19, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

John McGaw wrote:
[...]

It might be a Firewire 6-to-4 cable. The 6 end (powered Firewire)
goes on the PC end. The 4 end (unpowered Firewire) goes to your
Camcorder. It was used for recording video over Firewire. You
started the recorder running on the PC, then pushed play on
the Camcorder, and IEC61883 standard would do the recording.

If you looked in Decice Manager, at the driver stack, you
might see a 61883.sys or similar. At the time at least, you
looked in Device Manager, to make sure you had an IEC61883
driver in there.

Camcorders with the (unpowered) connector are preferred, as it
keeps VBUS away from the data pins (and potential destruction).

You can get a short 6-to-4 adapter plus a 4 to 4 cable. Or a
6-to-4 cable does the transition in one shot (such a cable might
come with the Camcorder).

It's possible there was a TBC (time base corrector) with a Firewire
output, which you could record from as well. The TBC was used
to clean up Macrovision damage (not its normal purpose, but
useful for such things).

Paul
Old July 8th 19, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/8/2019 2:40 PM, Paul wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Except that I don't have a single computer with a FireWire connector. I
can't think of a single peripheral that I've ever owned that would have had
FireWire either. That is the source of my bafflement. Oh well, they are
bundled up and stashed away out of sight so that is what matters most.

Oh, and I haven't seen a TBC since somewhere around 1985 when they were
huge rack-mounted devices. I used them to allow Sony U-Matic machines to
interface to my broadcast equipment. No FireWire there either...
Old July 8th 19, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

John McGaw wrote:

Except that I don't have a single computer with a FireWire connector. I
can't think of a single peripheral that I've ever owned that would have
had FireWire either. That is the source of my bafflement. Oh well, they
are bundled up and stashed away out of sight so that is what matters most.

Oh, and I haven't seen a TBC since somewhere around 1985 when they were
huge rack-mounted devices. I used them to allow Sony U-Matic machines to
interface to my broadcast equipment. No FireWire there either...

Both the current PCs have Firewire. It's turned off
at BIOS level.

Microsoft removed the Firewire networking stack.
It's possible the other stack items (61883, SBC2?)
are still around.

The only thing I've got here, is a couple Firewire
enclosures (so that would be SBC2). But they have a
137GB drive limit, so they just sit in the corner now.

I would expect all the Macs to have Firewire.

And Firewire was a popular interface on some of the
AV rack stuff. There are some tray-shaped recording
devices with Firewire. And you could daisy chain some
of these things. The bus power, while not fantastic,
was a feature for such chains. (The PC would do
bus power with +12V, while the Mac, I think it may have
used +25V or so at some point in time. The PC doesn't
"stretch" to the limits of VBUS, so you don't
get quite as much power capability in watts.)

https://www.alesis.com/products/view...mix-8-firewire

Another example. Firewire on the front. USB and Eth on the back.
This would represent a product in transition, trying to
support older users as well as newer users.

https://www.avshop.ca/recording-digi...ayer-interface

If you went back far enough in time, those boxes only
had Firewire on them. And you wanted two Firewire
connectors for daisy-chaining.

My two enclosures are particularly pitiful. The first
does 30MB/sec. When daisy-chained to a second enclosure,
the second enclosure gets 20MB/sec. The two connectors
portion uses an active-repeater, which seems to eat into
thruput.

Paul
Old July 9th 19, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 9/07/2019 2:24 AM, John McGaw wrote:
[...]

One of my Thinkpads had a FireWire connector - I think it may have been my R51.

Yes it was! http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R51 lists it (as an option). FireWire 400
port. I didn't ever use it though.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Old July 9th 19, 10:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

On 9/07/2019 12:48 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

I just fired up my X32 Thinkpad for the first time in a couple of years and it's running well
(1.8GHz Dothan, 2GB RAM, 320GB PATA HDD, even the battery says only 10% 'wear' and it was first
used in 2005) and it too has a FireWire port.

Gotta love those IBM-era Thinkpads. This house is damp and the X32 has been sitting in its bag in
the bottom of a wardrobe untouched for at least two years, more likely three.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville