wireless mouse not working

Old February 6th 17, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Johnny B Good

Default wireless mouse not working

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017 13:48:22 -0600, . wrote:

On 2/6/2017 12:02 PM, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 07:51:05 -0500, Paul wrote:

Norm X wrote:
"mike" wrote
I once had a wireless mouse that only worked on some systems.
Changing the battery fixed it.

Yes. I put new batteries in the mouse after I checked the batteries
which a volt meter. Strange, the red laser light never faltered. I
guess RF consumes more energy. Then I powered up the mouse for Win10
to detect it. It was not detected. There might be some connection to
down time for the mouse and driver replacement by Win10.

You can see that laundry-lists of sins are known for Win10.
I wouldn't believe some of them, unless I had experienced them first
hand. I think I've had a RealTek audio package installed separately,
and don't recollect the HID subsystem falling over on me.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/finally...-mouse-issues/

My problems just seem to be more random. Like, if I rebooted six
times, sometimes a mouse would disappear. I don't recollect my serial
(RS232) test mouse disappearing, ever. It always seems to work. I
don't have a PS/2 mouse port available,
but I'm pretty sure if I had one, it would always work too.
"If it's flaky, it's USB" is my motto.

Excellent "Motto", Paul! :-)

I always thought it was extremely arrogant of Dell to assume that
'mission critical' interfaces such as the PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports
could be replaced by USB ports and totally done away with.

USB3 has the chance to become equal to the task of 'mission critical'
reliability embodied by such interfaces as serial, parallel, PS/2,
SCSI, IDE and SATA ports given enough time to reach maturity since,
unlike its brain-dead predecessors (USB1 and USB2), it isn't relying on
the CPU to shag itself out handling every tiny detail of the PIO task
such cheap 'n'
nasty interfaces heaped upon a poor defenceless CPU as a ruse to sell
more powerful Intel CPUs to the consuming masses.

The lower voltage USB is far superior to PS/2 for both keyboard and
mouse control. Perhaps you'd also like to bring back serial mice, single
core processors, the AT PS and 8 bit ISA standard.

The only *one* out of that list that I'd like to see rightfully restored
to its place on a modern motherboard would be the 8 bit ISA standard as
part of the 16 bit ISA slot standard (which may still reside within
today's chipsets for all I know - it certainly existed in the chipsets
used on post millenium MoBos which had merely lost the connectors to
begin with - the 16 bit ISA slot support may or may not still exist in
today's chipsets after all this time).

It still burns me up that I had to keep a 1999 MoBo going for over a
decade beyond its BB date just to retain use of an expensive Soundblaster
AWE64 Gold souncard to not only be able to digitally capture analogue
sources to 0dB FSD levels without clipping (all the on-board and add in
PCI sound cards for at least half a decade afterwards clipped their audio
inputs in the ADC making it impossible to record to a level any higher
than -3.5dB FSD without distorting the audio) but also to enjoy the high
quality rendering of the midi sound tracks in the Games, Doom, Unreal etc,
courtesy of the excellent synthesiser chip incorporated in that AWE64
Gold adapter.

Still, I suppose the whole issue of missing 16 bit ISA slot(s) in modern
MoBos is rather moot. Presumably, there *are* PCI sound cards with
*decent* synth chips available by now and, more to the point, the stupid
****s responsible for the line input clipping issue simply because they
couldn't be arsed to check the effect of the -6dB sensitivity adjustment
option that had been shown enabled in the "Reference Circuit" diagram for
the sound chips being used on MoBos and PCI cards when only a single rail
5v line was available to power the ADC instead of the +/-5 or 12v
available to ISA slot adapters, finally got the message and quietly said
to themselves, "Ooops! Our Bad! let's quietly fix this before the great
unwashed consumers start realising what a bunch of ****s we are[1]."

[1] As far as I was concerned, the game was up the first time I used a PCI
sound card to digitise my reel to reel recordings and vinyl records and a
succession of other brands of PCI sound cards merely confirmed what a
bunch of ****s they were.

You might think it's just a simple matter of reducing the peak recording
levels to -3.5 or -4 dB FSD to eliminate the distortion in the analogue
input stage of the ADC chip but that's far easier said than done. When
you're digitising an analogue source (digitally recording the music),
you're aiming to avoid input level settings that result in clipping
whilst still being loud enough to give you a comfortable margin above the
system noise. Typically, one would aim for a setting where the peaks stay
within the range 0dB FSD to -3dB FSD.

When you're using an adapter like a sound blaster 16 or an AWE 64 Gold
which can be trusted to only clip in the digital domain, setting the
ideal input levels when using CoolEdit Pro is greatly facilitated by the
clip monitor indicators and further enhanced by the waveform peaks scan
generating a "required gain" value to normalise the recording to 0dB FSD.

When the sound card precludes such checking by only allowing gross
clipping events to generate clipping in the digital domain, these useful
aids to setting the optimum input level are rendered useless which makes
the job of achieving an optimal recording level far more difficult than
it used to be.

I guess the ****s got away with their ****tery for so many years simply
because the vast majority of their customers were mere consumers with no
interest whatsoever in such creativity. Again, as is always the case,
those of us with enough interest in such things as digital audio capture
(and the abysmal quality of Microsoft's OSes since win2k was sidelined)
make up a sufficiently tiny minority of "The Market Demographic" as to be
conveniently ignored.

I can understand (and even sympathise with) the manufacturers when mass
market products are compromised on quality due to the costs of "Doing It
Right"(tm) being out of all proportion to what the consumer expects.
However, the PCI sound card line input clipping distortion issue was
extremely egregious because the cost of "Doing It Right"(tm) in the first
place was a big fat zero (literally!).

Yes, it's true that the signal to noise figure would have looked 6dB
worse but the fix for that produced an even greater deficiency which
technical good sense would have precluded from being applied on the
grounds of insanity. I guess the Marketing Boys must have gotten their
way over the final decision in the matter, after all, specifications are
just numbers on a marketing bull**** product features leaflet (and who
"listens" to figures anyway?).

--
Johnny B Good
Old February 7th 17, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
[...]

There were PCI to ISA bridge chips. Just as today, there
are PCI Express to PCI bridges, so we can have a PCI slot
on an Intel chipset motherboard. Intel removed PCI from the
Southbridge (PCH), but the motherboard makers put it back.
Only some high end gamer motherboards are pure PCI Express.

(A PCI to ISA bridge)
http://www.ite.com.tw/uploads/produc...9_05162005.pdf

Paul
Old May 1st 17, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working
and
how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

Does it fail right in the middle of use or does it happen when it has been
idle for a while? I've had vague intermittent problems in the past with
some USB device or other for which the settings had been modified to
effectively power down the port when it was idle. It has been a while and
it certainly wasn't with W10 but it might be worth looking at.

Thanks.

I my case I did not need to do anything. I used my wireless mouse for a time
on a different PC. Then after a 1 or 3 episodes of Win10 update, I tried it
again and it worked. OTOH, I recall reading that Win10 update might upset
some devices.

Old July 17th 19, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

"Norm X" wrote

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working
and how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

This problem may be like a problem with a wireless keyboard that I resolved.
The keyboard would crash or lose its character mapping memory. So in order
to do a hard reboot, I removed the batteries momentary. After reinsertion it
worked fine.

& Moving the wireless mouse dongle was equivalent to a hard reset.

Old July 17th 19, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working
and how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

This problem may be like a problem with a wireless keyboard that I
resolved. The keyboard would crash or lose its character mapping memory.
So in order to do a hard reboot, I removed the batteries momentary. After
reinsertion it worked fine.

& Moving the wireless mouse dongle was equivalent to a hard reset.

A more important discovery is that malfunction of a device may be a warning
of impending complete battery failure. It did and now I have placed new
batteries in the finicky device,