XPS-18 for entertainment

Old January 3rd 14, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
David Arnstein[_2_]

Default XPS-18 for entertainment

I am thinking about getting an XPS 18 Touch for use as an entertainment
device. Mainly, that means DVDs. If I find a streaming service I like
(Netflix, Amazon Prime, ...) I would add that to the mix later.

I would prefer the cheap model, which has an Intel Core I3 processor.
I would add the charging stand ($100) and a USB-powered DVD drive. I
might add a USB-powered BluRay player too. But I don't know if the I3
can handle that load.

I would operate this thing without any attached keyboard or mouse. I
would use Bluetooth headphones all of the time.

I don't know if this machine is fit to this purpose. Any comments?
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old January 3rd 14, 09:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
David Arnstein typed:
I am thinking about getting an XPS 18 Touch for use as an
entertainment device. Mainly, that means DVDs. If I find a streaming
service I like (Netflix, Amazon Prime, ...) I would add that to the
mix later.

I would prefer the cheap model, which has an Intel Core I3 processor.
I would add the charging stand ($100) and a USB-powered DVD drive. I
might add a USB-powered BluRay player too. But I don't know if the I3
can handle that load.

I would operate this thing without any attached keyboard or mouse. I
would use Bluetooth headphones all of the time.

I don't know if this machine is fit to this purpose. Any comments?

I don't have any I3 or I5 machines, but I have lots of Core2 Duo tablets
and laptops. And Core2 Duo processors are fine (1.5GHz or faster) for
watching DVDs and streaming videos and all. Anything less, forget it.
Like my two Dell Latitude ST with Atom Z670 processors (one running
Windows 8 and the other Windows 7) are way too slow for watching videos.
Heck just web browsing they are still way too slow for my tastes.

--
Bill
Motion Computing LE1700 Tablet ('09 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2