Converting coaxial to 5.1

Old December 30th 03, 11:17 PM
Rich

Default Converting coaxial to 5.1

Hi,
My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says it
does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It does,
however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device that
could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
Thanks,
Rich

Old December 30th 03, 11:21 PM
Chris 159

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi,
My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

it
does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

does,
however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

that
could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
Thanks,
Rich

a lot of pc's that support direct connection of 5.1 speakers use the mic and
line in sockets as the other 4 channels for the speakers. usually theres
some form of configuration in the advanced volume properties

HTH

Old January 1st 04, 12:13 PM
David Stephens

.....or get a Creative Extigy external sound card that will take the digital
output and give you 5.1 surround sound!!

dave
"Chris 159" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old January 2nd 04, 10:11 AM
Jac

I think you need to connect the digital output to the digital input of Dolby
amplifier, which converts and amplifies the digital signal to five
individual analog signals.

Jac

"Rich" schreef in bericht

Old January 16th 04, 03:44 AM
Dale

"Jac" wrote in message ...
I think you need to connect the digital output to the digital input of Dolby
amplifier, which converts and amplifies the digital signal to five
individual analog signals.

Jac

"Rich" schreef in bericht
Hi,
My laptop computer supports 5.1 surround sound (at least the manual says

it
does), but does not have separate outputs for each of the speakers. It

does,
however, have a digital coaxial output - would this output all of the
individual signals for each of the speakers? If so, is there any device

that
could split this digital signal into the six analog signals that I need to
connect a 5.1 surround sound system?
Thanks,
Rich

Yeah, from my understanding Jac is right. I too have a 5.1 capable
card in my PC with a digital out connection, but finding a cable that
goes from the mini jack on my PC to a digital coax connection on my
klipsch promedia reciever seems to be the problem. I have looked
everywhere online and off but have yet to find one. Some idiot at
radioshack said they usually have them in stock, but i am beginning to
think he has no idea what i need since radioshack.com didn't have the
cable either. If someone finds a cable please tell me.

Dale