ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old January 18th 06, 06:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default HD363N Replaced with NSLU2

NSLU2:

1. I purchased mine at zipzoomfly ... it was between them and Newegg,
but zip had free shipping at the time. (If you are also interested,
the external enclosure I'm using with the NSLU2 is the Rosewill
RX30-U2FA purchased at Newegg ... you can see my comments there.) I
paid about $80 for it. Then there's the cost of the external
enclosures on top of that, so it does add up a bit. But, I've found
it all worth it after considering the amount of time and effort that
went into the HD363N.

2. The device has no issues using paths or directory names with
spaces. In fact, some of the default directories it creates include
spaces.

Some remaining overall comments:

Everything I had wanted to do with the HD363N I have now been able to
do with the NSLU2. Every single issue discussed in this thread does
not happen with the NSLU2. So, I'm convinced that the HD363N has
some issues unique to itself, and my system/network is fine.

The fact that the NSLU2 supports EXT3, FAT32 and NTFS file systems has
made it a little more versatile.

When I first began looking at NAS devices, I was not interested in any
devices using a file format that could not be read from a Windows PC.
If I wanted to move large amounts of data to or from the drive, I
wanted to be able to hook it up to the PC directly and not have to
deal with long network file moves. And, if anything ever went wrong
with the NAS device, I wanted to be able to read the data on the NAS
disk to recover it.

At the time, there were no NAS units that supported NTFS, so that
meant I was looking for a NAS with FAT32 file system. (There is the
issue with FAT32 that it cannot support files over 4 GB, but for me
personally that wasn't a big deal as I currently already limit most
of my large files to be less than 4 GB so they can be burned to a DVD
if needed.)

Well, I've come to learn I was probably a bit naive in my
understanding of the EXT2/EXT3 Linux file systems. I've come to
learn that a Linux EXT2 file system driver for Windows, at
http://www.fs-driver.org/, works very, very well. I have not had a
single problem using it in over 2 months now.

As such, I'm now running the NSLU2 with the EXT3 file format, and am
able to easily move files onto and from the drive when connected
directly to the PC via USB or Firewire (I have a dual option
enclosure) using the Linux file system driver.

FAT32 is not the best if you have a wide range of file sizes, as I do.
Given the default cluster size is so large, a lot of disk space can
be wasted. With NTFS and EXT3, this is managed much better.

The NSLU2 had not problems reading disks formated with EXT3 and FAT32.
However, even though it has recently added support for NTFS, I still
had difficulties move large files ( 100 MB) from the NSLU2 to the
PC over the network.

The NSLU2 can be overclocked (as discussed on other user groups). I
have overlcocked mine and found it responds rather well. Funny
thing, the issue with moving NTFS files I mention above went away
after overclocking the unit.

I get very good data rates ... NTFS is the slowest (a little slower
than the HD363N), FAT32 next (on par with the HD363N) and EXT3 is the
fastest (about 10 - 20 % faster than the HD363N). The resulting data
rates don't affect my thoughts too much, because once I start moving
data over the wireless network, it becomes the limiting factor
anyway.

When I started using the HD363N, I had high hopes for it. Especially
seeing support coming from both Argosy and Tritton. But, my outcome
is such that I'm sorry I wasted so much time trying to get it to
work.

My experience with the NSLU2 has been very different, and as such I
decided to post this outcome in case others continue to stuggle with
the HD363N so that you might have some input as to other
possibilities, without having to configure your own PC file server.

I also like the built-in backup feature of the NSLU2, which I have
enabled so the files stored on the first are regualarly backed up to
the second ... without any PC on the network running.

I would not consider the NSLU2 simple to setup. I has features that
will require some learning. It use Linux at work, so I'm a little
more comfortable with the idea of shares, users, and groups. But,
for those coming from the HD363N, you'll probably have to play around
with it a little more to get a good understanding of how it operates
... specifically referring to how access to files is granted/denied.
But, from what I've seen of most persons posting in this thread, I
think you'd be able to work it out just fine.

One thing I specifically do NOT like about the NSLU2 is that it does
not support communication to the NTP time server, you have to
maintain the clock on the device yourself. Not a big deal, but it
would be helpful for maintaining accurate file timestamps between
machines operating on the network.

Good Luck to ALL!!

Old January 18th 06, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default ARGOSY - HD363N - Refund

fixuser wrote:

As per Argosy's warranty: Argosy does not warrant that the operation
of Argosy products will be uninterrupted or error free. If Argosy is
unable, within a reasonable time, to repair or replace any product to
a condition as warranted, you will be entitled to a refund of the
purchase price upon prompt return of the product.

Given that I feel waiting 6 months for a properly working unit was a
reasonable amount of time, I pursed getting a refund for my HD363N.
Well, I've been talking with Argosy since late November, and as of
today they have been true to the statement in their warranty ... I
have received a full refund for the unit.

Argosy themselves did not provide the refund, instead they worked with
the store from where purchased it so they would provide the refund.

Either way, I was pleased that they honored the warranty as stated.

I honestly cannot believe you are *still* going on about this piece of
****e.

Odie
Old January 18th 06, 11:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

fixuser wrote:

[...]

No - good luck to *YOU*.

Sheesh - all the time you've spent whingeing about trying to get
sub-standard products to work in a manner in which only high-end units
work - I await with fascination your comments and discussions about this
new NSLU2.

Crikey - cut to the chase. You want something decent - you spend decent
money on it. Simple.

What a total, utter waste of time.

Odie
Old January 19th 06, 05:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

For anyone interested, here were some performance numbers I recorded:

HD363N:
Write = 37-40 Mbits/s
Read = ~29 Mbits/s

NSLU2 with EXT3 file system:
Write = 34-35 MBits/s (bursts upto 41-43 Mbits/s)
Read = 47-48 MBits/s

NSLU2 with NTFS filesystem:
Write = ~34 Mbits/s
Read = ~27 Mbits/s

In each case above, the NSLU2 is overclocked (to 2x clock speed as
supplied by Linksys).

These are based on mounting a drive from a PC across the network to
the NAS device. Different speeds were observed using FTP, but I
never wrote those down.

Old January 19th 06, 07:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

@ fixuser - Been reading some reviews about the NSLU2 which are not
favorable. What can you tell me about the size of the drives it can
handle? Is there a size limit as one post I read indicated (250
gig)? My Argosy has 300 gig max.

Also read that it formats new drives for a Linux system and cannot be
formatted back to any other. How were you able to get the drive to
format NTFS?

Do the USB attached hard drives that you can add have to be formatted
as well?

@odie ferrous - are you still here? You don't own the Argosy NAS and
from previous posts you obviously don't like the unit, why don't you
go post your comments elsewhere and leave this forum alone?

Old January 19th 06, 09:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

eds wrote:

@ fixuser - Been reading some reviews about the NSLU2 which are not
favorable. What can you tell me about the size of the drives it can
handle? Is there a size limit as one post I read indicated (250
gig)? My Argosy has 300 gig max.

Also read that it formats new drives for a Linux system and cannot be
formatted back to any other. How were you able to get the drive to
format NTFS?

Do the USB attached hard drives that you can add have to be formatted
as well?

@odie ferrous - are you still here?

No. I'm dead. Just leave the flowers and get out.

Odie
Old January 19th 06, 08:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

eds,
I've only connected 120, 160 and 250 GB disks to it ... so I can't
speak to the 300 GB specifically. You are correct that posts in
forums seem a bit mixed for capacities 250 GB and above. Some of it
depends upon the enclosure you put the drive in, and the capacity of
drive it supports. You can find all kinds of postings about certain
enclosures having difficulties supporting larger drives. This makes
some sense as the enclosure is the device that actually connects to
the drive and converts the data to/from its IDE port to USB. If the
enclosure doesn't work well with the larger drive, the NSLU2 won't
either.

In regards to formating the hard drive. Even if you allow the NSLU2
to format a drive (such that it partitions and formats it with an
EXT3 filesystem), that is not a permanent change to the hard drive.
If you later disconnect the drive from the NSLU2 and want to use it
on a PC, you can reformat the drive with a different filesystem (NTFS
or FAT32 for example). However, just remember, this will delete any
data stored on the drive.

After the NSLU2 has partitioned and formated a drive, when you then
connect the drive to a PC, you first need to delete the partitions
the NSLU2 built, then make new partitions on the drive, then format
those partitions as you like. You can do this in Windows using the
Disk Management tool that can be found under:
Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer
Management
Click on Disk Management in the left hand pane.

This will show you all the drives connected to the PC, and partitions
on those drives. From there, you can do as you wish with the
drives.

A 'new' drive (assuming it does not have any partitions defined)
connected to the NSLU2 will be partitioned into 3 partition and
formated by the NSLU2 using the EXT3 filesystem.

In order to use an NTFS or FAT32 disk with the NSLU2, hte drive must
first be partitioned and formated on a PC. Then, when you connect it
to the NSLU2, it will recognize those partitions and file systems.

When the NSLU2 sees disks formated FAT32 or NTFS, it will allow you to
format it to EXT3 if you wish.

The NSLU2 has not automatically formated any drives I connected to it.
You always have to tell it to format the drive. Just thought I'd
make this clarification.

Technically, others have posted results using different file systems
on one disk with the NSLU2. I haven't tried that myself.

For general NSLU2 discussions and questions, you may find the
following forum helpful (if you haven't found it already):
Linksys
Firmware Forum

Old January 20th 06, 03:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

fixuserwrote:
[...]

Firmware ForumLinksys Firmware Forum[/quote:84703d128c]

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Old January 30th 06, 05:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

fixuser wrote:
NSLU2:

I also like the built-in backup feature of the NSLU2, which I have
enabled so the files stored on the first are regualarly backed up to
the second ... without any PC on the network running.

I have also just purchased a NSLU2 and have set it up last weekend.
Everything is working fine now, but I have been struggling quite a bit
with the built-in backup feature (which for me was one of the main
reasons to select this device). I was not able to find any comments on
problems with this feature on the net, so supposed I was doing something
wrong. My problems were twofold (well three, actually):

1. My backup jobs were not able to obtain access to the shared folders
on my Windows XP Pro boxes. In the end I came to the conclusion that
when you change any item in the definition of the backup job, the fields
(userID and password) that refer to access to the shared folders on the
"other" device are probably cleared in the web interface, even though
they appear to be filled in the web interface.
Solution: every time I change a single item in the backup job definition
(e.g. backup type), I also reenter the userID and password that are
required for access to the shared folder. This appears to work until now.

2. It is apparently not possible to define in the backup job a subfolder
under the NSLU2 share, when defining a backup from "other" device to
the NSLU2. Not even when starting the path of the subfolder with the
apparently mandatory forward slash (see info on Q&A at Linksys support
site). Not even when delimiting the path to one subfolder only.
Subfolder is correctly defined within the NSLU2 share, but it still will
not let me define the job like that. When I try to save it only fives an
error stating "invalid job path". Solution for now is to backup to the
"root" of the share only, but I do no like this very much (now I have
defined multiple shares that should actually be defined as multiple
folders under one share). It is now not clear to me why I can define a
subfolder under the NSLU2 share, perhaps this only works with a backup
job from the NSLU2 to the "other" device (further testing required).

3. Not related to backup. There is an option for scheduled shutdown, and
directly under it an option for scheduled restart. Unfortunately only
the shutdown works, but not the restart. I have come to understand that
"restart" should actually read "reboot" which you can schedule and
activate only from a running NSLU2. I.e. you can schedule the device to
reboot at a certain moment, but not to wake-up at a certain moment.
Would have been nice, but possibly useless anyway since it can not also
control the attached USB diskdrives. I do not want to leave them on all
the time, also shutdown my Windows boxes every day and would like to
have this automated for my NAS setup. No solution here.

If anyone has similar experiences and possibly solutions for the issues
described here, then please share them. Thanks.
Old February 5th 06, 08:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Using the XBMC Build of 1/28/06, I’ve been able to access subfolders
in my Argosy/Tritton NAS. I stopped trying a while back because an
error would come up and the folder would show up blank. I was lead
to believe there was a problem with the way the NAS handled SMB
shares. But now it seems the problem is almost fixed. I was able to
play one video file in a sub folder that had two. I was able to
access folders that had a bunch of mp3 files, but when I played one
it crashed. Another folder with only six mp3 files was able to play
fine. I was also able to play other subfolders switching from mp3 to
mp3 with no problem. Hopefully this issue can be fully resolved soon.