Help me kill the ZOMBIE LASERJET 6L!!!

Old October 19th 04, 04:18 PM
Matt Shepherd

Default Help me kill the ZOMBIE LASERJET 6L!!!

One of the computers in my office is running Win98. We recently got an HP
LaserJet
1300 on our network. It won't print to the 1300, presumably because there is
a LaserJet 6L in the
printer folder that is set to default.

The Laserjet 6L cannot be uninstalled. If you delete it, it keeps coming
back. It
wants to find the printer on a port that does not exist (//Matt/holycow/,
which was on
a networked computer that hasn't been in the office for at least six
months).

So far, I have:

- Uninstalled the 6L in both regular and Safe mode;
- Deleted all files related to the printer that I could find, that is to say
all
files on the hard drives that have laserjet, 6L, HP or PCL in their names;
- Gone through the registry and deleted all registry keys obviously related
to the
printer (again looking for laserjet, 6L, HP, PCL, "printer," "matt",
"holycow", and
other strings, deleting everything that looked probably related to that
printer (after
backing up the reg just in case I blow something up);
- re-named the Windows CAB folder so it can't find the drivers to reinstall
the printer.

When I boot into Win98 regular, it reinstalls the printer, which now appears
greyed-out
in the Printers folder with "User Intervention Required."

If I uninstall in Safe mode and reboot, the Printers folder provides a HP
LASERJET
6L PCL pop-up window that says "This printer could not be upgraded. Please
reinstall
the pritner from the Printers folder." The printer reinstalls as soon as I
boot into
Win98 mode again.

HELP ME KILL THIS PRINTER. I feel like I'm going nuts. I always thought that
guy
in the "cat came back" song was sort of a jerk...UNTIL NOW.

Please help me!

E-mail directly if you can, and I'll check this group when possible. Thanks!

- Matt
http://www.man-man.org

wanted: service manuals ricoh FutureChild Printers 14 March 30th 05 07:25 PM
HP Laserjet Paper Jam Fix PLUS multiple used parts.. Save Now!! steveinflorida Printers 0 May 20th 04 12:31 AM
HP laserjet 4L chuck clark Printers 0 October 28th 03 05:13 PM
Does Windows kill the "bootability" other secondary hard drives it finds with the same OS on? Kb General 3 September 5th 03 12:33 PM