New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Old September 22nd 11, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Default New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Hello,

I have discovered a very serious issue with my DreamPC from 2006 (updated
along the years because of hardware failures) for which I will seek help.

(Computer has 4 harddisks).

The problem is:

When the old harddisks are disconnected the new harddisk don't boot.

Ofcourse I tried changing boot order in bios, or tried the boot option menu
but all of this didn't help/work which indicates a more serious issue.

I suspect the problem is with how Windows 7 installed itself and how it
arranged the boot program. I suspect the boot program is on an old harddisk
instead of the new one.

Windows 7 was installed on the new harddisk, but I suspect Windows 7 did not
install the boot program on the new harddisk, which would be a pretty stupid
thing for Windows to do ! So this could be a very serious issue for Windows
7. But enough speculating there could also be other causes which I will sum
up here so I know what to investigate:

Possible causes:

1. Windows 7 boot program installed on old harddisk instead of new one.

2. ASRock motherboard has issue with booting 2 terrabyte harddisk.

3. ASRock motherboard sata port 1 and 2 only work for booting.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 22nd 11, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DC[_4_]

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:21:28 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hello,

I have discovered a very serious issue with my DreamPC from 2006 (updated
along the years because of hardware failures) for which I will seek help.

ohhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old September 22nd 11, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

At first I thought it was the hardware, but others have noticed this weird
behaviour as well:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2001019AAn4laM

So it now seems Windows 7 is really stupid and dumbed down to the point
where it leads to these kinds of problems and cluelessness.

Just like the guys in that thread I have no idea where the boot program is
actually stored since the installation program of Windows 7 never showed it
clearly as far as I can remember.

I can also remember thinking to myself: "Where the **** are all my drives ?"
when I was installing Windows 7 and "where did this C:" drive come from ?
"Why is it showing my new drive as C: ?" Apperently Windows 7 does some
renaming after wards ?!? All very weird... Indeed my old drivers are called
"D:" and "E:" and my new drives are called: "C:" and "F:".
Very strange indeed !

My conclusion can only be:

That Windows 7 has become a dumbed-down-piece-of-****.

It's going the way of the Mac where clueless users have to visit a Mac-store
to get some help with their "magic" operating system and probably return
home without any help at all lol

For me no sorry guys, I don't have time to go to a store... So I will not be
using Windows when it comes to that

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old September 22nd 11, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Oh by the way I forgot to mention a possible solution for this problem,
which was also mentioned on the board/web site:

1. Find the Windows 7 installation CD/DVD (?) or maybe it needs a special
CD/DVD but try installation CD/DVD

2. Hope that the CD/DVD survived gravity and temperature fluctuations and is
still working.

3. Hope that the CD/DVD rom drive is still working.

4. Hope there are no scratches on the CD/DVD

5. Disconnect or remove the old harddisks, but keep the new harddisks
connected.

6. Boot from CD/DVD via bios tweek or bios boot menu.

7. Let Windows 7 CD/DVD boot process "repair" the installation on the new
harddisks.

8. Hope for the best.

Fingers crossed.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 22nd 11, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:39:54 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

[...]

Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

John

Old September 22nd 11, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Tom Del Rosso[_4_]

John Larkin wrote:

Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

And UEFI will standardize the BIOS to the point where it will be possible
for a generic virus to infect a flash BIOS.

That should be a fertile new source of hallucinations for Skybuck. Some of
them could be real.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old September 22nd 11, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise[_3_]

Skybuck Flying wrote:

I have discovered a very serious issue with my DreamPC from 2006 (updated
along the years because of hardware failures) for which I will seek help.

(Computer has 4 harddisks).

The problem is:

When the old harddisks are disconnected the new harddisk don't boot.

Did you format them bootable, and actually write a boot sector and OS to
them?

Thanks,
Rich

Old September 22nd 11, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
JeffM

John Larkin wrote:
Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

UEFI is DOA.
If the European regulators don't kill it,
the supply chain will ignore it. It's a profit killer.
http://tinyurl.com/UEFIcomparedToVista
Old September 22nd 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise[_3_]

John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:39:54 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"

That Windows 7 has become a dumbed-down-piece-of-****.

Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

I can't understand why MICRO$~1 doesn't jump on Linux and write
some familiar 'doze eye candy and sell it.

Cheers!
Rich

Old September 22nd 11, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 9/22/2011 1:59 PM, JeffM wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Windows 8 and UEFI will be worse.

UEFI is DOA.
If the European regulators don't kill it,
the supply chain will ignore it. It's a profit killer.
http://tinyurl.com/UEFIcomparedToVista

What are you smoking?
That article has nothing to do with UEFI.

There are Linux gods and then there are fanbois... and then there are
the idiot fanbois...

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping