how to get proper resolution setting for screen?

Old September 27th 10, 09:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob S[_2_]

Default how to get proper resolution setting for screen?

We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

Old September 27th 10, 10:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Bob S wrote:
We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

My 205BW displays 1680 X 1050 just fine.

Did you check to see if your video card supports 1680 X 1050 with your
type of video connection (either analog or digital)?

Daddy
Old September 29th 10, 01:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Bob S wrote in
:

We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

Newegg shows that that card's maximum resolution is 2560 x 1600. Does
that appear in the selection box?
Old September 30th 10, 05:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 9/27/2010 4:57 PM, Bob S wrote:

We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

You may well be running into a limitation of the graphics card in the
Dimension 4300. What kind of card is it? To get to the preferred
resolution for the 205BW, you may need an AGP card with 256MB of memory,
tho possibly a 128MB card will do... Ben Myers
Old September 30th 10, 01:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob S[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 00:13:06 -0400, Ben Myers wrote:

On 9/27/2010 4:57 PM, Bob S wrote:

We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

You may well be running into a limitation of the graphics card in the
Dimension 4300. What kind of card is it? To get to the preferred
resolution for the 205BW, you may need an AGP card with 256MB of memory,
tho possibly a 128MB card will do... Ben Myers

The card is

SPARKLE SF8834DT256MB GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
Video Card

Suggested by Bob Villa in response to my previous post.

Bob
Old September 30th 10, 01:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob S[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 00:34:03 +0000 (UTC), Boris wrote:

Bob S wrote in
:

We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

Newegg shows that that card's maximum resolution is 2560 x 1600. Does
that appear in the selection box?

The screen resolution slider only shows more-or-less standard choices
up to 1600x900 and 1600x1024

It lists what looks like correct monitor and graphics card names

Bob
Old September 30th 10, 01:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob S[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:28:53 -0400, Daddy wrote:

Bob S wrote:
We replaced the screen on my wife's computer (Dell 4300 with Windows
XP) with a Samsung 205BW. This is supposed to operate at 1680x1050.

We were unable to set that resolution in screen properties settings
and I assumed that the original card was inadequate, so we replaced
the graphics card with a new card

We added the card, loaded the driver, loaded the screen "driver", and
now we still cannot set the screen properties settings to 1680x1050!

What is the trick to getting the drop-box to allow us to set the
resolution properly?

Bob

My 205BW displays 1680 X 1050 just fine.

Did you check to see if your video card supports 1680 X 1050 with your
type of video connection (either analog or digital)?

Daddy

Yes, the 205BW on my system also works fine. It is only on my wife's
system that we have this problem.

The card allegedly support much higher resolutions than we need.

We are using the digital connection

Bob

Old September 30th 10, 03:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Bob S wrote:
[...]

There's nothing 'alleged.' Either your video card supports that
resolution or it does not. Just look in the driver's Release Notes --
it's right there.

Daddy
Old September 30th 10, 07:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob S[_2_]

Bob S wrote:
[...]

OK, you get the prize on this one. The blasted card does not support
the resolution that we require.

So, now we are back to the original question; how do we find a card
that actually will do the job?

Bob
Old October 1st 10, 03:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Bob S wrote:
[...]

Here is your Google search term:

which video card supports 1680 x 1050