Good source for inexpensive PC parts?

Old September 16th 07, 06:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

Default Good source for inexpensive PC parts?

If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I usually
end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online stores offering
similar deals?

Old September 16th 07, 08:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:34:40 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I usually
end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online stores offering
similar deals?

Depends quite a bit on what you need. Geeks have some
reasonable deals now and again, but usually not on modern
tech. I usually consider them one source among many for
surplus legacy components, though this is mostly
considering motherboards, as processors can be found
elsewhere for same cost, and the Geeks case, PSU, et al.
selection is nothing particularly special.

Old September 16th 07, 10:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

wrote:

If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I
usually
end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online stores
offering
similar deals?

Depends quite a bit on what you need. Geeks have some
reasonable deals now and again, but usually not on modern
tech. I usually consider them one source among many for
surplus legacy components, though this is mostly
considering motherboards, as processors can be found
elsewhere for same cost, and the Geeks case, PSU, et al.
selection is nothing particularly special.

They ship to Canada, which is a plus for me.

Just bought a v2.0 class 1 USB dongle, 6 foot firewire cable, a 7 port USB2
hub, a 16 foot powered USB2 extension cable, and a pair of firewire 3.5"
enclosures, with fans, etc...all at about $50. Add $20 for shipping.

A single enclosure here would set me back more than $50, so I'm way ahead.

Folks in the US definately have some good deals available to them!

Old September 16th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH

"Noozer" wrote in message
If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I
usually end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online
stores offering similar deals?

Since you don't mention what parts you are talking about, no, Geeks
doesn't have them all. If, for example, you are talking about any
electronic parts and not just computers, or non-major component parts
(i.e., not hard drives but MOSFETS, voltage regulators, capacitors,
etc.), then you'll probably find them at:

http://www.digikey.com/

The hardest part about their site is finding the part because they
have so damn many. Picking the right name for a part is almost
essential in finding it in their catalog.

Old September 16th 07, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH

"Noozer" wrote ...
If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I
usually end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online
stores offering similar deals?

It's a bit difficult for a lot of components at Geeks.com to compare
them to other online vendors, like Newegg.com. A lot of what Geeks
sells is refurbished, not new. They also are not clear in their
listing as to which are retail and OEM versions until you read the
product description. When comparing their non-refurbished items
against another online vendor, like Newegg, and using a Western
Digital 250GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA/300 3.5" Hard Drive as an example
(where Geeks sells their "whitebox" version which is just an OEM
version and Newegg's OEM version clearly identified):

$75 Newegg
$94 Geeks

Their pricing at Geeks probably isn't the same ratio of difference
across the board for all their products but I already see that I'll
probably stick with Newegg. Plus, the return policies at Newegg are
very lenient. I have yet to have them bicker about me returning a
defective, deficient, or old version product. They'll even exchange
memory that I bought that was the wrong type to get the right type.

Old September 16th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
jaster

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:34:40 +0000, Noozer thoughfully wrote:

If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I
usually end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online
stores offering similar deals?

I can say I've had great luck on eBay with computer parts, ie, reputable
vendors and reliable parts.

You could try frys.com and microcenter.com for descent prices especially
when the part is on specials or discount.
Old September 16th 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DaveW[_4_]

http://www.mwave.com

Located in Calif. and I have used them happily.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------

Old September 17th 07, 12:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Wolf Kirchmeir

Noozer wrote:
If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I usually
end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online stores offering
similar deals?

I like TigerDirect. The US website will not deal with a Canadian address
or credit card. tigerdirect.ca prices are slightly high compared to the
US prices, but they pay all cross-border charges, which is worth the
difference IMO.

HTH
Old September 17th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
m...
Noozer wrote:
If I need something really inexpensive and can't find it locally, I
usually end up ordering from Geeks.com... Are there any other online
stores offering similar deals?

I like TigerDirect. The US website will not deal with a Canadian address
or credit card. tigerdirect.ca prices are slightly high compared to the US
prices, but they pay all cross-border charges, which is worth the
difference IMO.

I used to deal with TigerDirect, but had a few shipments go bad - missing
items, underpackaged, etc. Also, I find that they are more expensive for
most items these days, and they rarely have what I'm looking for.

Old September 17th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.mwave.com

Located in Calif. and I have used them happily.

Looks pretty good... but don't ship to Canada. I guess I shoulda mentioned
that originally.