Shipping Version of Vista - P5W DH

Old December 22nd 06, 10:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Smith

Default Shipping Version of Vista - P5W DH

Suggestions:

1. Will the Vista OS install on a P5W DH w/out updating to the latest bios?

2. Will SATA drivers install natively or do you need a floppy or CD - I
heard flash drives also work for the driver.

Any other suggestions?

Old December 22nd 06, 11:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ChrisC

Hi, the latest bios, 1707, fixes PCI/PCI-E issues with vista, so if you've
those cards then yes update, I suggest you should anyway. I've heard that
the retail version of vista has a much greater database of drivers so with
the sata drivers I'd make a floppy, from Intel makedisc, only in case it is
required. After all it isn't a drawn out process to establish whether Vista
will see your drives is it? On mine, using ACHI, vista rtm installed fine
without having to use the floppy and the only driver it required was for the
wireless, but then, again the retail version might have these....
ChrisC
. ..

Old December 22nd 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Synapse Syndrome

"John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
Suggestions:

1. Will the Vista OS install on a P5W DH w/out updating to the latest
bios?

2. Will SATA drivers install natively or do you need a floppy or CD - I
heard flash drives also work for the driver.

Any other suggestions?

As ChrisC said, you should update the BIOS before you try installing Vista.
Vista has all the required drivers for the motherboard, apart from the
JMicron controller and onboard wi-fi. You don't need a floppy drive at all
with Vista even if the SATA drivers weren't recognised as you can use a USB
flash drive or CD during setup. The days of the F6 floppy are over.

ss.

Old December 23rd 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Comer

I noticed that the CPU ratio is still broken comapred to 1407. I have a 6800
Extreme CPU
and in 1407 I can set the ratio to 12 which is one over the default 11. Any
BIOS after 1407
limits me to 11 and considering this CPU is unlocked I am out of luck.

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 23rd 06, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Synapse Syndrome

"Barry Comer" wrote in message
g.com...
I noticed that the CPU ratio is still broken comapred to 1407. I have a
6800 Extreme CPU
and in 1407 I can set the ratio to 12 which is one over the default 11.
Any BIOS after 1407
limits me to 11 and considering this CPU is unlocked I am out of luck.

I assume you have been reading the Xtreme Systems overclocking thread.
There will be others with these concerns there.

ss.

Old December 24th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Fred

Barry Comer wrote:
I noticed that the CPU ratio is still broken comapred to 1407. I have
a 6800 Extreme CPU
and in 1407 I can set the ratio to 12 which is one over the default
11. Any BIOS after 1407
limits me to 11 and considering this CPU is unlocked I am out of luck.

I just noticed that there is a new Beta BIOS.
Don't know what changes are included but I installed it anyway without
issues.
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/so...%20DH%20Deluxe

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in
message ...
. ..

Old December 24th 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bob Huntley

Re question 2, I can't speak for Vista itself, but I carried out a clean
install of Windows XP Media Centre Edition on Friday onto a blank SATA hard
disk. It worked fine - no need for a drivers floppy disk and installed
straight from the CD ROMs; so I would expect Vista to be OK..

"Fred" wrote in message
Barry Comer wrote:
I noticed that the CPU ratio is still broken comapred to 1407. I have
a 6800 Extreme CPU
and in 1407 I can set the ratio to 12 which is one over the default
11. Any BIOS after 1407
limits me to 11 and considering this CPU is unlocked I am out of luck.

I just noticed that there is a new Beta BIOS.
Don't know what changes are included but I installed it anyway without
issues.
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/so...%20DH%20Deluxe

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in
message ...
. ..